Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
CWalkerATX

Default Voodoo Mojo/Curse Loop - Zombie Munchkin w/ A&D

If I have a Voodoo mojo and a curse that is discarded once resolved that turn in my hand is the following legal:

1. I play the curse on the player before me as they are discarding cards to charity.
2. Activate Voodoo mojo to pick up curse from discard pile at the beginning of my turn.

Repeat each round.

This can also be compounded by having Ed the Undead Head item in the following logic I think:

1. Same as above
2. Same as above
3. Play curse a second time on whoever.
4. Resolve door kick down (if it's a zombie this breaks the loop)
5. Draw face up curse from discard pile.

Is any of this considered legal?

Thanks.
CWalkerATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Voodoo Mojo/Curse Loop - Zombie Munchkin w/ A&D

Hmmm. This is a strategy question, and rather complicated, so I moved it out of the Munchkin 101 forum, which is for more basic questions than this one. There are a couple of questions here which seem to indicate some misunderstanding. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to try to cover those while I'm here.

Charity: Cards aren't necessarily discarded. Usually Charity should be given to the lowest Level player(s), and only if the player is lowest or tied for lowest should he be discarding his cards during his Charity phase.

Why would a "zombie ... break the loop"? Are you saying that if it's a Mojo, you'd have to change your Mojo? That's not how that works. If you draw Mojo when you're kicking down the door, it goes into your hand. You're not forced to change your Mojo just because you found one when you kicked down the door.

However, remember that the player currently taking his turn is technically responsible for discarding the cards, so if you happen to play a Curse while another player is correctly discarding cards for Charity, once all of his cards hit the discard pile, it's the next player's turn (in your example, yours). So, if he hasn't discarded all of his cards and he's discarding Door cards (again, assuming he's lowest Level or tied for it), if you play a Curse, he's going to bury it. If you wait until all of his cards hit the discard pile, you're turn has started, and you played the Curse so it's no longer the start of your turn and you can't pick it up.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
CWalkerATX

Sorry, I should have been a bit more precise with my wording. For this scenario to work the player before you has to not be the lowest level player.

In the scenario I meant that during the previous player's turn during his charity phase I would play the curse on him/anyone at the table. Since his charity cards go to the player with lowest level and none are placed into the discard pile the curse is on top and primed for retrieval once the charity phase is over and it becomes my turn.

In the Ed the Dead Head item scenario I meant that if I was to draw a Monster card (not zombie) then it would break the loop because once the fight was resolved the monster door card would cover the curse.

We had a player last night curse the table 6 times in a row and it seemed broken but if that's just a play mechanic then we'll just have to play around it.

Thanks.
CWalkerATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Okay, somehow I missed the bit about Ed the Undead Head being in the mix, but it really doesn't change much.

Yes, you could play the same Curse twice that way, as long as your turn is coming up next. However, you'd only be able to play the Curse just before your turn to guarantee you could get it back, and even then, anyone could discard a Power or Mojo to cover it before your turn officially starts. So, you can Curse the player before you while he's giving Charity away, then if no one buries the Curse while he's doing that and before your turn starts, then you could, as a Voodoo Zombie, pick up the Curse. You'd then have to hold onto it until the player before you is once again finishing up his turn, and so on, for this to be a "loop."

As for Ed the Undead Head, however, how does that complicate things? His special ability only allows you to draw one card from the discards when you would already be drawing a card, and then only allowing you to draw that card from the discard pile of the same type from which you'd be drawing. I.e., if you were drawing 3 Treasure and you have Ed the Undead Head, you could draw 2 Treasures from the deck and 1 from the top of the Treasure discards. Ed's ability doesn't allow you to suddenly draw a card from whatever discard pile you want, which seems to be how you're player interpreted it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curse, loop, mojo, voodoo, zombie