Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
whassumattuh

Default Typographical Error and Mate

My friend has Typographical Error and Mate in his hand. He kicks down the door and draws the Plutonium Dragon. He quickly plays Typographical Error to bring Plutonium Dragon down to Level 1 and then Mates it. So, he is now fighting two monsters, each with a combat strength of one? He obviously beats the monsters. Does he then go up 4 Levels and get 10 treasures?
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Typographical Error and Mate

That sounds about right. Typographical Error says it's treated "for all purposes" as Level 1, and Mate is copying its level. Typo also does not alter the levels or treasures.

Wait for MM or Andrew to answer, but if that holds up, that's an absolutely munchkinly combo.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Hmmmmm. Doing a search now, but with all the changes, it comes down whether we consider Typographical Error to be a Monster Enhancer or not. I'm going to say that the play worked as described, for now, unless I can determine I had valid reasons to say otherwise.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
ComBAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
My friend has Typographical Error and Mate in his hand. He kicks down the door and draws the Plutonium Dragon. He quickly plays Typographical Error to bring Plutonium Dragon down to Level 1 and then Mates it. So, he is now fighting two monsters, each with a combat strength of one? He obviously beats the monsters. Does he then go up 4 Levels and get 10 treasures?
That sounds like a fantastic strategical use of the combination of cards. A well devised plan.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
My friend has Typographical Error and Mate in his hand. He kicks down the door and draws the Plutonium Dragon. He quickly plays Typographical Error to bring Plutonium Dragon down to Level 1 and then Mates it. So, he is now fighting two monsters, each with a combat strength of one?
BTW, if this is a legal play, order doesn't matter.

He could equally well have played Mate first and then played Typographical Error (on the original dragon) to achieve the same effect of two monsters each of level 1.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Doctor Poo

I used this strategy just the other night. I don't think the monster enhancer issue matters, mainly because of the text "for all puposes" it is a level 1 creature.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Poo View Post
I used this strategy just the other night. I don't think the monster enhancer issue matters, mainly because of the text "for all puposes" it is a level 1 creature.
Bingo. In this sequence, the player is fighting two Level 1 monsters.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
Proto Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
BTW, if this is a legal play, order doesn't matter.

He could equally well have played Mate first and then played Typographical Error (on the original dragon) to achieve the same effect of two monsters each of level 1.
I think the order does matter. If he had played Mate first, and Typographical Error second he would be fighting a lvl 20 and a lvl 1 monster together. Mate only takes into account what the monster was when the Mate card was played. After that it's a separate monster and changing the original will not affect the Mate.
Proto Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Persona View Post
Mate only takes into account what the monster was when the Mate card was played. After that it's a separate monster and changing the original will not affect the Mate.
Nope. The rulesheet says exactly the opposite, in no uncertain terms. (Look in the "Monster Enhancers" section.)

The general principle is that someone who wanders by the table should be able to determine both sides' combat strengths just by inspecting the cards in play, with no knowledge of the order in which they were played.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
mawile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Persona View Post
I think the order does matter. If he had played Mate first, and Typographical Error second he would be fighting a lvl 20 and a lvl 1 monster together. Mate only takes into account what the monster was when the Mate card was played. After that it's a separate monster and changing the original will not affect the Mate.
you are wrong, anything, that affects a monster also affects it's mate, except the effects, that put one monster away from combat. in that case a mate card should be taken away, as it is always exactly the same monster, as the first one.
mawile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mate, typographical error