Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #111
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Michael)

"Two holes in yonder rock marked with litwerk. Tis an ancient trial of knowledge. Choose wrong and litwerk flame consumes both passages, until the time is completed that one may try again. Until that time, both passages will reply to any visitor with fire."

"Tis common litwerk to answer entrance with fire in a passage"

*essentially, this is something he and others have seen before. Its done with litwerk, which appears to be the thing Michael can sense. If anything enters the wrong tunnel, it will fill with flame, and the OTHER tunnel will also fill with flame if entered. They tested this by throwing rocks into the tunnels. Its possible that both entrances just fill with flame both times, but the captain thinks there's a timer, mostly because that's the way these things are usually done.

The wall seems to be smooth were-ever he clears away the vegetative matter.

The guns continue to roar. Flame is still scorching the tunnel, and more of the men are crying out. And then it goes quiet.

Kind of.

The moans of the injured are still heard. But the fire has stopped, and so have the gunshots.

Captain Velsink returns from the choke point. he is unsinged by fire, though he smells heavily of gun powder. He starts ordering people to bandage the wounded, and looks at the hourglass, which is only halfway done.

Almost everyone else but him and Michael are burned in some way. Some worse than others. Its possible a couple are dead or in shock.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #112
Friendpmcii

"Hmm, seems like they stopped fighting. I think this wall is actually the door. As to smartly picking one or the other as the correct option, that seems to easy and if it is true then it may take days. This is supposed to be a fortress and they would want time to get reinforcement's."

Michael starts to focus on the bottom of the wall and edges to try and get an idea for which way the door may slide. "Will you check on the writing and tell me exactly what it sais? If it's safe that is, also order a lot of crowbar's when convenient, we may have to pry this open. Or picks."

Michael also double checks the side walls to see if they are just as smooth. Clearly in grossed in the mistory.
Friendpmcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #113
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Traub runs back and looks at the writing. Then returns

"It be speaks of the dangers the founders faced before they fled from aard. Each wall be different. One script speaks of the weapons of the tyrants who vexed the founders. One speaks of anger and suffering and foul deeds committed against citizens. The last speaks of Heresy against the faith."

Michael keeps rubbing the wall, searching for cracks in the rock. He does so as bandages are applied to many of the men, and some are carried back.

After a time of searching, Captain Velnik looks over Michael's shoulder and brings out his lantern and the similar device that makes holes in illusions. He gets a good look at the corner, and no cracks line the edges. He can't find any cracks that feel like door crevices in the middle of the surface either. .

Velnik looks over Michael's body. "Litwerker?". He points at Michael.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #114
Friendpmcii

Michael speaks, mostly just to gather his thoughts. (So even if the interpretor is gone)
"I think the lock has more to it then it seems, but I can't find what. In my world we used Physical methods of locking a door, or safe." Michael scraches his head well trying to think. "I need a break, let's check on the wounded." Michael starts to make his way over.

To the interpretor:
"Could you describe the one about weapons used?"

Once the captain arrives, 'does he mean lazy or magic worker?' "I don't know," 'lets assume magic,' "I think the creature was only attacking people attacking it, after he", Michael points to the interpretor, "put down his weapon it didn't attack him anymore, and I never picked one up so it felt no need to attack." 'that should answer both.'
Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #115
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There are a lot of wounded. Bandages are being applied. Michael finds the quality to be ... pre-industrial, but the principles of cleaning and binding the wound are pretty sound.

the captain scowls when Michael speaks about putting down the weapon. Traub translates. "Much be known of the Sarmag. They not be without mercy, but they cannot be seeing around corners. Ye were not hit because ye be a litwerker. Ye protected me from the violence of the litwerk."

"The arms of the tyrants? Cannon and shot, pike and bill. Beasts named Ross that they ride into battle upon. Tis Quaint. The cannon, shot and pike we know well. Ye see the weapons we use against the Sarmag. Bill hooks we know, though they not be common now adays. The Ross we know not. Twas a beast four times the size of a man, and twice as fast. Twere used to carry men into battle. The script speak also of the vast numbers. Sixty Thousand soldiers. Tis a boast, if the scholars be believed."

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #116
Friendpmcii

I thinks to myself that the captain thinks I am a lazy coward untill the translator said that I protected him. I reply to the translator "Could you clarify, did I protect you or the captain? Also did these bandages get washed in really hot water before being packed?" I look at the bandage container to make sure it is clean.

"What is a bill and where bests believed to fly?"
Old 01-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #117
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"A bill be like a pike -- a long spear with a sharp head. I think"

"The beasts? You mean the Ross? No, and the words be the stranger for it. They but walked across stones and earth. Tis as I said, quaint. But the exiles* feared them."

"Ye protected me. The Captain be a litwerker himself."

"Washing? the wrappings be washed on wash day, like other garments. Heaven alone knows how each man stores his cloth."

* should he ask, the exiles are the founders of their people, and they arrived in this land a little under 500 years ago.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #118
Friendpmcii

Michael smiled at the thought of having such power, 'probably some form of what they call magic', "what is a light worker? What does it entail? Wait, first we need to instruct how to wash bandages. They must be washed in boiling water and then packed in cloth" Michael pauses to think of the correct words, "that does not let air threw until they are used, then they must be changed each day or the bandage can become the reason for death or sickness. Instruct them to this then answer my question." He mumbles more to himself than others, "sope would be good but I don't know how to properly define sope."

Michael waits for the answer to the question he asked at first as he starts clearing off the bottom to all of the walls to see if any hold marks of a possible door.

*I didn't know how long, though I got the idea that we are on the receiving end and that the enamy is likely on the other side and has horse's/elephant/fast dinosaur's and are good at Calvary.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #119
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"What say ye about the wraps? Tis an odd custom. Why do ye people dress the wounded so?"*

* he's listening, but you've got to make a good case for why to do this!

Traub mutters something to the captain, and the two have a spirited discussion. Traub asks michael to confirm he doesn't know what litwerking is, and when he does, the captain raises his hand and the image of a burning candlestick appears in it.

"Tis litwerk. Litwerkers work light into forms that please them. Indeed they work flame and darkness as well. Litwerkers may oppose other litwerkers, that one vexeth not the other. "

Old 01-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #120
Friendpmcii

Michael thinks to himself about the old testament on watching out for wizards and sorcery. 'best to not get to involved I'm sure the adversity would let me but what would be the cost. My sole isn't worth it.'
"Aaaa but I never did anything to protect myself, you had to do lots of things. Maybe I'm blessed by some great God who doesn't like magic."

"On my world magic isn't used because it doesn't always work, they only use things that are proven to work constently for everyone. Some people live up to the age of one hundred off of these principal's, most to 60 or 80 though. Hand washing and bandages where some of the foundational principal's. I think the population is close to 7 billion now, would be higher if we where not so good at killing people with war and greed. Or was it trillion, I don't remember.

What where the atrocities spoken of on the wall?"

Tags
lost in dreams