Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
RedEyeFX

Default Points earned

Hello,
It has been a long time since I have gmed GURPS, the one big question I have for now is, how do I determine the number of points earned at the end of the campaign?

TY
RedEyeFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Points earned

No official way to get an exact number, but the most common seems to be about 2-5 per session. Most GMs reward points based on good roleplaying as much as success.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Kesendeja

Personally, I do 2 per hour of play, +1 to 5 for good roleplaying, +1 to 5 for how much of the story was completed, and an additional couple of points at the end of a major arc.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
RedEyeFX

Wow, Ty everyone, that was very helpful. Again thank you very much!!!
RedEyeFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
whswhs

A lot of my campaigns don't have a "story" for a given episode; they just flow from episode to episode. So my approach fits that. What I award is 1 for attendance, 1 for roleplaying, 1 extra for good roleplaying, 1 if the session involved dramatic and effective action, and from time to time I'll give a specific player an extra point for doing something really cool. That's for each 4-5 hour session.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Culture20

I give a lot more for Supers campaigns where they start high and progress quickly “Wow, She-Hulk, you’re lifting 90 tons now?”. It also helps the players keep an extra life around just in case...
I tend to give base points and one extra point per cool thing in the session that the players can convince me was actually cool.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Refplace

I tend towards Bills route.
Participation 1 point
Good Roleplay 1 to 2
Did something awesome/cool or significantly helped the plot along 1 point.
I want my players to be able to upgrade a skill every game or two or not wait seemingly forever for a nice ability upgrade.
You do have to watch for too much power upgrade but GURPS gives you plenty of ways to spend those points.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I give a lot more for Supers campaigns where they start high and progress quickly “Wow, She-Hulk, you’re lifting 90 tons now?”. It also helps the players keep an extra life around just in case.
I didn't do that when I ran my GURPS Supers campaign. The PCs were built on 1600 points, but they got maybe 3 or 4 points per session. I thought this made sense, actually, because a lot of superheroes seem to maintain the same basic power set for years.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I didn't do that when I ran my GURPS Supers campaign. The PCs were built on 1600 points, but they got maybe 3 or 4 points per session. I thought this made sense, actually, because a lot of superheroes seem to maintain the same basic power set for years.
For a certain classic comics feel, I could see doing something similar, but also being very generous with points that can only be used to power impromptu one-use powers. For all those crazy abilities silver age heroes would pull out and use exactly once.

Super mathematics. Super weaving. Super landscaping. Super using his own hair to mop up chemicals. Super ventriloquism (though that one was, bizarrely, used many times).
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Lord Azagthoth

You don't always have to award the players with CP. Sometimes, gibe them something else. An Ally, Contact, Patron (or an Enemy if you want to be mean or want to make a connection to your next campaign), certain skills or advantages they couldn't have bought otherwise.

Otherwise I use the following point system:
+1pt for each side goal completed in the spirit of your character's moral beliefs.
+2pts for completing the end goal.
+1 for very good roleplaying.
-1 for bad roleplaying or min/maxing and trying to abuse the rules (mostly I do this by giving the player a quirk or disadvantage).

This mostly results in 1 to 2 points for a scenario (which takes several playing sessions) and and up to 3pts extra at the end of the campaing (several scenario's)

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote