Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
Sindri

Default Cumulative Parry Penalty Reduction House Rules

So I'm messing with house rules for cumulative parry penalty reduction and I figured I'd check to see what other people are doing. What house rules (including modifications of optional rules such as Martial Arts fencing parries modifications, parrying with two-handed weapons or A Matter of Inches' weapon weight rules) is everyone using/have used, what are/were the rationales behind them and how do/did they work out?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Cumulative Parry Penalty Reduction House Rules

What kinds of changes did you have in mind? Nerfs or buffs?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
What kinds of changes did you have in mind? Nerfs or buffs?
I don't want to restrict it like that, either is fine.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Gnome

Maybe you could specify what problem you're trying to fix...? I've never had a problem with the Basic + MA rules for multiple parries.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Maybe you could specify what problem you're trying to fix...? I've never had a problem with the Basic + MA rules for multiple parries.
Then don't post in a thread compiling house rules for them, unless to comment on previously posted house rules. No specifications I could make would suddenly cause other people to have house rules. I'm interested in compiling other peoples' house rules regarding multiple parries not asking how to solve a problem.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Varyon

In the Initiative houserule I've been working on, there are no penalties for multiple defenses. Instead, it costs Initiative Points to defend, and you can opt to take a penalty to spend fewer. Defending against multiple attacks per second at full skill would likely mean you'd never be able to do anything else (as you'd probably spend IP faster than you generate it), and if the attacks persist for too long, you'd eventually have to reduce skill to keep IP at or above 0.
As it's meant to be used alongside (a modified form of) The Last Gasp, you'll probably run out of AP while you're at it...
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In the Initiative houserule I've been working on, there are no penalties for multiple defenses. Instead, it costs Initiative Points to defend, and you can opt to take a penalty to spend fewer. Defending against multiple attacks per second at full skill would likely mean you'd never be able to do anything else (as you'd probably spend IP faster than you generate it), and if the attacks persist for too long, you'd eventually have to reduce skill to keep IP at or above 0.
As it's meant to be used alongside (a modified form of) The Last Gasp, you'll probably run out of AP while you're at it...
Are those available to read somewhere?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Are those available to read somewhere?
Not yet. The big snag I've hit is how to get various defensive options to work - I'm currently leaning toward having three combat "stances" (aggressive is default, neutral taking the place of Defensive Attack, and defensive taking the place of All Out Defense) and charging IP to change between them, but still need to work out appropriate costs. That's for a different thread, of course (which I'll probably get around to making soonish).
EDIT: Now that I look at the text document, I see much of what I had previously decided I forgot to write down, so it's going to take a bit longer to put together than I initially thought...

Last edited by Varyon; 05-05-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Now that I look at the text document, I see much of what I had previously decided I forgot to write down, so it's going to take a bit longer to put together than I initially thought...
: (. It's always a shame when that happens. I'll be looking forward to checking it out when it does come out though.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Kalzazz

I've pondered allowing '-1 per 2' parries for say someone with a Fencing weapon, TBaM, and Weapon Master

Haven't ever tested this has noone has ever played such
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brainstorm, combat, house rules, martial arts, optional rules