Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Too many Big items - must get rid of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPan12 View Post
Wait, do you have to give the extra big item to someone else? Can't you just discard it? also, I think of my friends have been treating it like an item you can't use due to race or class, ie turn it upside down and not count it for bonuses. I take it this is wrong?
You can't ever just discard an Item you don't want (as said in the rules, "You cannot discard Item cards “just because.”"). The rules state also that you many only have one Big Item in play ("You may carry any number of small items, but only one Big one."). So, you can't turn Big Item sideways so you can have more than one in play unless you're a Dwarf (or have another reason you're allowed more than one Big Item) and can't use it. Finally, the rules explain what to do when one finds oneself in a position where one once could have carried more than one Big Item and now can't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
If you stop being a Dwarf and you have more than one Big item, you must immediately get rid of all but one. If it’s your turn, you can sell them. Otherwise, you must give them to the lowest-Level player(s) who can carry them! If any Big items are still left over, discard them.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
LoPan12

My bad, it seems that discarding section never clicked in my brain...weird...thanks!
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
All_Thumbs

Do you "stop being a Dwarf" immediately upon being cursed, or after you've figured out what your new race is? Supposing your "new" race is Dwarf, are you allowed to keep your extra Big items or did you already dispose of them?
All_Thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
uttwich

I would hold that you don't lose your current race until a new one has been identified or you've determined that there isn't another one you can use. Assuming, of course, that you're referring to a curse that makes you lose your race and go through the discards to find a new one. In this scenario, you would not lose your second big item if you became a dwarf again as a result of the curse.

Now then, in the case where you just lose your race (due to curse, bad stuff, whatever) and wanted to play a new one afterwards (or potentially the same one again), I would hold that since losing your race and getting the new one are the result of separate actions that you would have to complete everything associated with losing the first race before you could apply the second. In this scenario, you would lose your second big item even if you once again became a dwarf.
uttwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
MunchkinMan

I was working on a reply, and I have no clue where it went, since it clearly didn't go here. Anyway, it's a pretty straightforward formula:
  1. Resolve the Curse's instructions.
  2. Deal with the results of the curse.
  3. Resume play normally.

So, in the case of Curse! Change Race, wait 'til you know what your new Race is before you start giving away your stuff. In the case of Curse! Lose Your Race, you would have to get rid of your stuff. Unless someone can show me where I was once more generous on this issue and had a good reason why. . .
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-29-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I would be slightly more generous: if you're forced to lose your Dwarf race and you can replace it IMMEDIATELY, then the momentary glitch would not trigger the Big item discard rule. (I'd say the same thing if you had a Cheat! card that was looking for a home.)

And because I know this is going to come up, my ruling on this seems to contradict my ruling on Half-Breed/Super Munchkin, but the text on those cards clearly says to discard them if something makes you lose all your Races or Classes. (Or perhaps it's on the Curses in question; I'm away from my set and my database.) In this case, there's no grace period where you get a chance to make the situation legal again.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #17
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I would be slightly more generous: if you're forced to lose your Dwarf race and you can replace it IMMEDIATELY, then the momentary glitch would not trigger the Big item discard rule. (I'd say the same thing if you had a Cheat! card that was looking for a home.)
As long as it's your turn, of course. Okay, I can get behind that. I've been hunting around because I have the sneaking suspicion that I have said what you just said before, I just can't seem to find it.
MiB #1029

Tags
big items, charity