Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 01:36 AM   #1
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

The military outpost of Starhold Keep lies in the rocky hinterlands near a narrow river canyon named Hell's Throat.

Starhold Keep is a safe place, but not a comfortable one. All pretense of glamour, style, and graces have been sacrificed at the altar of military practicality. It shows, in the chipped stone of the grey walls, in the dusty crowded streets, and in the miserable and irritated glares of the guardsmen. The Keep sits on Prying Eye Island, perched on the top of Tanara Falls.

You and your fellow adventurers have arrived here a few days ago, trekking up the winding Borderland Road, past fishing-men at the Lower Falls and up a serpentine trail on the side of a mountain. The trail was dirty and rough, strewn with discarded trash, broken wheels and the occasional decaying carcass of a fallen animal. At the top is the landing, a muddy field at the stoop of the Keep where caravans wait outside the gates to be let in and travelers hitch their horses at the Keep's Palisade. To the west, a little ways away from the Keep, is Quarrytown - an improvised and shady chunk of settlement where rogues and miners live. West of Quarrytown is The Shelf, a flat farmland that feeds the Keep and its surrounding people.

Since arriving, the Broken Hilt tavern's common room in the Keep's middle bailey has been your living quarters.
You and your party of adventuring cohorts have arrived here for simple reasons; Hell's Throat is rumored to be a wilderness teaming with treasures and monsters, including some sort of "Super-Lair" where the forces of evil are festering in their ill-gotten gains...
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #2
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

DAY 1

One of the best known (and most frequented) locales inside the Keep is the Broken Hilt Tavern. Located between the gates leading to the Upper and Lower Baileys, it’s difficult to enter or leave the Keep without passing by this perpetually crowded establishment.

Its sign is a flat, thick piece of wood with a broken sword painted on both sides, but no writing. Made famous by the popular drinking song, “She Broke my Heart at the Broken Hilt,” this riotous, seedy tavern is known throughout the region. Watered down ale, ****-poor food, flea-infested rooms and teaming with pick pockets and ne'er-do-wells, the Broken Hilt is open around the clock.

The Broken Hilt tavern has a reputation for being a ‘rough place’. It’s the favorite gathering place at the Keep for off duty soldiers and they like to play rough. That, coupled with the fact the food is **** poor, the ale watered-down and the rooms flea infested, cause most ‘proper’ Keep residents to shun it. On the bright side, the prices are cheaper than most other options in the Keep and well-suited to those drawing a soldier’s measly pay.

One of the tavern’s recent claims to fame is a small boulder near the bar – supposedly thrown by a giant on the mountainside. Whether it is true or not, the repairs to the roof seem real enough.
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

ON ARRIVAL:

Having arrived a few days ago, Bain invested his time in preparing for the mission; and so, he focused on two tasks: Getting to know the town and collecting information about the Hell’s Throat and preparing the camouflage of his hunting shirt (to gain an edge on the field).

The idea of having a giant in the vicinity sounded interesting to him, and deemed it as a possible lead to Hell’s Throat; however, Bain suspects it could also have been a tool of war.

Bain approached the boulder and checked its size; using his information and his knowledge in archery (as a proxy for ballistics), he tried to determine from what direction came the boulder. And so, Bain asked himself: How big is it? Does it look like it has been “processed” for its use as a projectile? What lies over there? Could it be Hell’s throat?

ON DAY 1:

Bain decides it is time to start moving; he walks to Starhold Keep’s base, with the intention of introducing himself to the soldier’s chief and discuss his mission.

(Note: I am assuming the party already formed during the traverse to Starhold Keep, should the other members do different things than Bain, consider he will meet with you for dinner at Broken Hilt). Ajardoor, please let me know what to roll when you need it!
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
jmurrell
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Louisville, Ky
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Gottfried has a couple of drinks while sitting in the common room of the Broken Hilt. He'll banter and joke with the off-duty soldiers. It's all very familiar to him, he's been a soldier for a loong time.
jmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
PumpkinLorica
 
PumpkinLorica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Vic and Gathika met after the events at her town (Ambrosia).

While Vic was on his way to Starhold Keep, he found Gathika “staring at nothing”. Vic sat next to her, trying to find what she was looking at. Gathika told Vic that a curse has brought him to her town, and that the “voices” compel them to visit Starhold Keep… and understanding their situation, they embark on their journey.

Vic and Gathika eventually join the traveller Bain of Avalon, on their way to Starhold Keep, under the premise of having "strenght in numbers for the challenges to come".

And now Gathika is waiting for Bain with Vic at the tavern.
PumpkinLorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Telrith (Stone-friend, the elementalist, or pebbles, if you have the brains of a barbarian) spends his time before the adventure walking the town, looking at the various types of soil and rock there, and trying to get a feel for what's available in the town. He's especially on the lookout for a guild or other organization of casters: he has thaumatology 14. For now, he's mostly just looking for people to banter theory with, and to get an idea of how common they are here*.


*specifically, if I go looking for a hireling with magical talents, what sort of modifier am I rolling?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
TURN 1(...) Roll Dodge, Bain and Vic (...)
Aware of the attack, Bain retreats with an acrobatic dodge and succeeds as he reaches for cover.

Acrobatics (12): 3d6 = 10 success.
Retreat dodge (14): 3d6 = 8 success.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Bain and Vic step back into cover, around the corner. Gathika, Telrith and the elementals follow their lead.

TURN 2

The bad guys can be heard shouting threats and curses from the darkness. They all seem eager to murder.

(OOC: They're standing their ground, not rushing at you guys. The light that Bain put there is still active.)
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
TURN 2 The bad guys can be heard shouting threats and curses from the darkness. They all seem eager to murder (...)
As the enemies keep shouting threats, Bain attempts fast-talking, to persuade them of surrender...

Fast-Talk (5) 3d6= 15* ... and replies:

Reconsider your statements. You are already dead.

He stays on altert, and proceeds to conceal himself with camouflage.

Camouflage (16) 3d6= 15 ... success.

OOC: *This is a critical failure, it might provoke them to charge.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #10
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
OOC: *This is a critical failure, it might provoke them to charge.
OOC: Worse. It means you don't get to roll Camouflage and hide, you must have distracted yourself by taunting. And the enemies will try to single you out. And Fast-Talk was not even the right skill.
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, magic, martial arts, riddle of steel, sharpshooter, sierra hotel adventurers, spells, swordlogic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.