Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #371
ComBAT

Default Re: Member House Rules

Half your level is way too much.

My only problem with dying is that you get too many cards at the beginning of your next turn. If you die at level 8 or 9, you can get GUAL cards and low level monsters to look for trouble against. Death isn't destructive enough. If you are level 5 or below, get 4 of each card. If any higher, 2 of each card.

More times than not in my group, death just invites new life. Normally you are easy to kill if you don't have many items out and many cards in your hand. Then you don't mind death because it can help you tremendously. Death is terrible against the players with tons of items. But those players are also very hard to get killed.

So if you are going to invoke a house rule, I think it's to reduce cards drawn upon starting your next turn after dying, or to add at least 1 level lost with death. This way there is at least some kind of a hill to climb on your next turn. Being level 8 or 9 you already have enough strength to beat low level monsters without items.

It's currently like beating a monster that has 0 strength that rewards 4 treasures and 4 door cards.

Also - combine that with being a "Tough Zombie". Holy cow.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #372
Morfeatire

Just want to remember ppl that It's not that easy to die by your own when you are at such an advantage. If nothing, people should just learn not to kill someone lvl 8 or 9. Early on loosing your hand and items to your oponents is not that cool. Unless you have nothing.

But Death as it is bring more strategy possibilities to the game in my opinion.
Morfeatire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #373
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBAT View Post
Death is terrible against the players with tons of items. But those players are also very hard to get killed.
We've managed a few times to get monsters to level 60 and above! Especially the humongus plutonium dragon wandered in with a mate!!!
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #374
thedag

We tried something new today in an attempt to have a quick game. We had three door piles. One with monsters, one with race/class/powers/style and one with general stuff. If you took a card from the race/class pile the rule was you had to put it in play so there was a bit of risk if you had a class card you wanted and were trying for a race card. The game did go faster and if you were on level 9 you could be certain of drawing a face up monster.

One adjustment we will make if we use it in the future is to put some of the race/class/etc cards in the general pile just to get more of a spread.

If anyone else decides to try this let me know what you think and any adjustments you think should be made (and why just in case our playing froups are very different!)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #375
whitecloud197

This is in Re to
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/extras/birthdaycard/

Would it be fair to say make a House rule that changes the card from "If it is your birthday today" to "if it is your birthday This Month"

Cuz then you would get more uses out of the card on the month of your birth :)
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #376
cree128

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
This is in Re to

Would it be fair to say make a House rule that changes the card from "If it is your birthday today" to "if it is your birthday This Month"

did that just come out today?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #377
whitecloud197

It must have been recently in the last couple of days, i think the post i found it on was from today.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #378
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
This is in Re to

any house rule people agree on is fair. I think the idea behind specifically your birthday is to limit it just like one card gives a extra bonus if it is a weekday seem as most people play weekends
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #379
whitecloud197

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
any house rule people agree on is fair. I think the idea behind specifically your birthday is to limit it just like one card gives a extra bonus if it is a weekday seem as most people play weekends
True, but most people are out at the bar on there birthday so i just figured a re wording of the card to make it suit an individuals needs.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #380
Nevofix

Default Munchkin No-Friend Game (Unofficial 1-player rules)

I made up these set of rules while I couldn't sleep at night and nobody could play Munchkin with me. It makes it possible to play alone and to discover a set you just bought and nobody wants to play (but that would be really rare, I think).

Munchkin No-Friend Game (1-player rules)

New goal: Reach level 10 in less than 20 rounds (or less, if you like challenges).
The rules are the same as the originals with these exceptions:
1) You play in rounds (count these with a d20 or something, 1 round = 1 turn in a normal game)
2) All Curses, Traps and Madnesses apply on you. It doesn't matter if it was face-up or face-down.
3) When the first card of the round is drawn face-up and it's a monster, roll a die: On an even number, flip the top Doorcard face-up, on an odd number, flip the top Treasurecard face-up, if the number is 1, you have to play all monster enhancers in your hand (also Wandering Monster, if possible). If the monster can get a bonus from a flipped over card, he gets it (you can have a Bullrog with the Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment, so he’s at level 21). If you draw a second Doorcard and it's a monster, it's considered a Wandering Monster.
4) You can only have 10 Treasure cards “in play”.
5) If you die, you lost the game and you have to start over again from level 1.
6) You start with 3 Doorcards and 3 Treasurecards instead of the usual 4.
7) You may only use 3 GUAL-cards and only twice sell items to level up.
8) You can only ressurect a monster once.

That’s it. Discover your new sets in a new way. Enjoy!
Nevofix

P.S.: Don’t make it too easy for yourself or it will ****. Decrease your number of rounds if it’s too easy.

Last edited by Nevofix; 07-29-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Nevofix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice