Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Hero of Canton

Default Ancients' Uplifted Aslan Too?

I know in Canon the Aslan are assumed to have evolved naturally on their homeworld.

However, for my upcoming ATU GT:ISWs campaign I am considering having the Aslan ALSO be the work of the Ancients just as were the Vargr.

I'm thinking that this different origin story for the Aslan would be little more than a cosmetic tweak to the history of the OTU. Unless of course it means that the Aslan end up actually creating a Jump Drive on their own EARLIER than they retro-engineered one in OTU.

Or am I missing something?

Hero of Canton
Old 07-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
sn0wball

Default Re: Ancients' Uplifted Aslan Too?

Actually, I donīt see any direct connection between the origin of the species and the discovery of the Jump Drive. The naturally evolved fteirle *could easily gotten theirs several centuries earlier in an ATU.

I think you should ask yourself about the role of those background changes in your campaign. Especially with regard to the fteirle, since they play no part in the OTU ISWs. Also, the Solomani hypothesis is still centuries away. In the OTU, nobody is in any position to discover these secrets yet. Will the campaign center on these secrets and their discovery ? Is it for you as a GM to enrichen your universe ? Would your players (or their characters) care about these ? If they donīt intimately know Traveller they might not be impressed too much about such a discovery.

* After years of campaigning with a character always insisting on that correct, non-discriminating designation it has stuck with me
Old 07-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
I know in Canon the Aslan are assumed to have evolved naturally on their homeworld.

However, for my upcoming ATU GT:ISWs campaign I am considering having the Aslan ALSO be the work of the Ancients just as were the Vargr.

Or am I missing something?
That the Aslan aren't that much like Terran lions physically? Most of the illustrations in their Gurps Alien Race book (2?) look more like they evolved from Scottish terriers.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Hero of Canton

Don't know if this'll work, but this

http://emilisb.deviantart.com/art/As...cept-406780106

or this

http://meci.com/media/catalog/produc...60012-0870.jpg

are images I had in mind when I was composing this thread.

Hero of Canton

Last edited by Hero of Canton; 07-27-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added second link.
Hero of Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Five minutes. That's how long I could resist playing in such a game before yelling, "Thundercats, ho!"
(Edit: I mean going from your linked pictures. I wouldn't be a jerk about vaguely leonine aliens in general.)
If anything, those look far too much like humans with funny faces and feet than either alien or feline, in my opinion.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 07-27-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Hero of Canton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
...If anything, those look far too much like humans with funny faces and feet than either alien or feline, in my opinion.
Word! Truth! I must acknowledge it. And add these link in support http://pre12.deviantart.net/bb56/th/...io-d7sdp8y.jpg

http://pre01.deviantart.net/c546/th/...21-d5xr2i9.jpg

Hero of Canton

Last edited by Hero of Canton; 07-27-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added two links.
Hero of Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
jason taylor

In point of fact Aslan act human whether or not they look so. In fact if you wish to make them look alien you must put a few quirks in(much Space Opera is satisfied with "close enough for government work" as far as that goes).

To me the weirdest thing they have is the extreme gendering so that someone working an occupation not associated with their gender is not merely unmanly or unladylike, but not is the reverse of their biological sex. And the insistence that men do nothing but fighting, land management, and politics, a prejudice only affordable to nobles among humans. Both of those are simply reflections of the disproportion of birth. But the obsession with honor, favor trading, etc have plenty of counterparts among humans. Bourgeious societies don't usually recognize it though it can be found even there when you think of it: favor trading is common enough, even burgherfolk have Aslan-like notions about the military, constabulary, or disaster relief services. And what is money but a shorthand for "someone owes someone a favor"?

Last edited by jason taylor; 07-28-2017 at 07:58 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote