Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
daver

Default Monsters not strong enough?

A common complain from few in my group is that not enought Bad Stuff happens. In other words monsters nearly never win, they only get stopped when the player in question is around lvl 8-9, and by then we can only stop the player by throwing in almost everything we got. (And for this very reason the one who wins is the first one to fight after everyone else runs out of enhancers and items)

Are we doing something wrong? Do we need more enhancers in our deck?
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Trsevener

Default Re: Monsters not strong enough?

You do not mention in your post which version of Munchkin you are playing. I can tell you from experience that in my opinion some versions do have the abilities for players to become very powerful very quickly, and thus on the first turns people are able to beat monsters themselves or through deals and the Bad Stuff is avoided. I can also tell you that I have been in games for hours and have been stuck at Level 1 because I did not get a monster to battle.

I think if your group is having a concern perhaps a mild change in the way you play could freshen the game. Perhaps not helping too much early and letting a few noses get bloody with Bad Stuff. Perhaps a member of your group could purchase a different version of Munchkin for you to all try.

The most important part in my opinion is have fun. It is a game, so enjoy it. If the style or version do not meet that, try changing things up.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
majikfreak

I would suggest maybe creating some house rules and make monsters tougher and the bad stuff badder... and for the love of every thing evil... play more cut throut... stabbing friends in the back is FUN, FUN, FUN...
Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Signboy

I have to agree with the posts suggesting to be more cut-throat early on. I've noticed that no good deed goes unpunished when playing munchkin.
Signboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
rickert

I think too many people hold their nasty stuff for late in the game and it makes killing monsters early too easy.
rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Xylon Lionheart

There was one game where I constantly messed with combat on other players so they constantly had to run away. This in turn kept them very weak throughout the game while I in return continued to steadily level up. Even if the bad stuff isn't too bad, keeping people from winning from the start keeps them from getting a lot of good things to help them later, or better, prevents them from getting treasure they can use against you!
Xylon Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsevener View Post
You do not mention in your post which version of Munchkin you are playing. I can tell you from experience that in my opinion some versions do have the abilities for players to become very powerful very quickly, and thus on the first turns people are able to beat monsters themselves or through deals and the Bad Stuff is avoided. I can also tell you that I have been in games for hours and have been stuck at Level 1 because I did not get a monster to battle.
We play most of the time with Cthulhu 1-3 (or if with more experienced players then 1-4), but sometimes TGTBTM.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Tobz

A houserule we use is that killing a monster only nets you a level if the monsterlevels+enhancers equals or surpasses your character level.

That might help a bit since it slows leveling and players have little use for playing only riskfree monsters for themselves.

Another houserule is, if you don't play a monster for yourself during 'Looking for Trouble', another player can play a monster before go to 'Loot the Room'.

That increases the chance to play specific monsters against specific strenghts and weaknesses. And players will play stronger monsters for themselves in order to prevent this.

I Like Cthulhu. The powerlevel doesn't seem to go as rampant as like say Bites! or the Original with a few expansions. Though once there are a fair amount of Cultists running around the game they become rather unstoppable.
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
d-vils_wingman

I played a game last night with two other people using Munchkin Cthulhu and Munchkin Bites! combined decks (Doors and Treasures both) as well as all the expansions to both sets (including Dungeons). I had removed the monster enhancers that took away monster strength, the GUAL cards, and all monsters Level 4 and below. The game took 3 hours+, nobody ever attained a level higher than 5, and it only ended when the last player ended it by becoming a Cultist when he Kicked Down the Door to find an H. P. Munchcraft. It was a very fun, albeit long, game with tons of very munchkinly activities.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad stuff, enhancers, house rules, monsters