Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Creation of Cybernetics in Future Space Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearit View Post
Can I increase the power modifier for Cybernetics if I'm forced to take Increased Consumption as a disadvantage? Its a -10 point disadvantage and I believe in Powers p. 21-22 that equates to a -10% addition to Power modifiers.
Sure, I see no problem with doing that.

Quote:
Also, I can't find in Powers what the activation time for converted switchable abilities like Extra DX is? Is it a free action? Is it a Ready Maneuver?
I don't recall it ever being listed anywhere; I think it should be a free action, but only doable on your turn (so you can't turn on Extra DX when you get attacked to boost your defense).

Quote:
What I really want is Takes Extra Time.
Fair enough.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Varyon

Default Re: Creation of Cybernetics in Future Space Campaign

Quote:
I would still enjoy the ability to cannibalize my own FP and HP in dire circumstances to keep the Cybernetics running. The best way I can think of that is Leech. Any suggestions?
FP you can still do - the cybernetics are built with Costs FP, without a requirement that they can only use ER. So, while you have ER, you can use that to run your cybernetics. When ER runs out, you can instead spend FP, which represents exactly what you're saying - you're cannibalizing your own reserves to keep your cybernetics going.

If you want to be able to use HP in place of FP, by GURPS RAW that's an Either/Or Limitation of "Costs FP or Costs HP", which is worth -0.5% (that is, don't bother). I handle Either/Or a little differently, which would put the Limitation at a bit over -4%. Personally, I don't see an issue with letting "Costs FP" be read as "Costs FP or HP" without even changing the price.

An important thing to keep in mind in GURPS is that you pay of effects, not explanations. Yes, fluff-wise what's going on here is that your ER has something like a Leech ability that pulls from your FP or HP to charge itself up, then uses that energy to power your cybernetics. How that manifests mechanically, however, is that your ER only refills when you're resting and at full FP, and when your ER is empty you can burn FP or HP to power your abilities instead.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifier, power ability, sci-fi