Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Stabliser

Default Re: Gettysburg scenario

That was a lot of postings to read!

Having read them I decided to think about cards that show where reinforcements arrive. So I made 4 cards to show this on my own maps.

That helped to get the thought processes going, I think a GEV map or a Shockwave map would need 2 reinforcement entry points per side, (total of 8) and if 2 maps were put together, the 16 entry points would reduce to 12. (as 2 of the sides are now in the middle of the battlefield)
These 8 or 12 cards would be split into separate piles depending on which player they related to, and would be used for random entry of reinforcements

Might be fun if players also get the chance to bring in reinforcements from behind enemy lines from time to time.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I LIKE the idea that you could partially randomize WHEN you get reinforcements because even if you didn't know what you were getting, under the "old" method, you'd depend on getting SOMETHING that turn.

And you could partially script the reinforcements and keep them partially random by scripting in "groups" of reinforcements: First reinforcements (determine randomally between 3 possibilities), Second reinforcements (another small table of random possibilities), etc., etc.

So, and you'd need to playtest this a fair amount: a) You would only know that you'll get your "First Reinforcements" over a range of turns, like say somewhere in turns 4 thru 6, and that b) these "First Reinforcements" will be one of the three options on the "First Reinforcements Table" (determined randomly), and (get this) that c) these reinforcements will only show up entering the map from one of two (or three or four . . .) possible hexes previously designated, but decided at the time by random die roll.

So the timing, the composition, and the point of arrival are all semi-random. No session will EVER be the same as any other session.

A guy could get carried away with this. Maybe (for example) the third or fourth reinforcement would specify that one or more of these factors would NOT be random. Still endless possibilities.

And I agree with you on a very large mapboard and LOTS of counters!

Squeeeeeee!
Now that's verging on the brilliant! I think we may very well be on to something here folks! We should probably collectively start trying to firm up some parameters and then maybe submit this as a possible new scenario at some point. I have no idea what we'd call it (there's always the incredibly dynamic "Meeting Engagment" title, I suppose, though "Fire on the Horizon" or "Sound of Thunder" might be more evocative of something or other... :-) ). Everyone on here gets equal credit for the idea in the publishing credits. What do you think?
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
That was a lot of postings to read!

Having read them I decided to think about cards that show where reinforcements arrive. So I made 4 cards to show this on my own maps.

That helped to get the thought processes going, I think a GEV map or a Shockwave map would need 2 reinforcement entry points per side, (total of 8) and if 2 maps were put together, the 16 entry points would reduce to 12. (as 2 of the sides are now in the middle of the battlefield)
These 8 or 12 cards would be split into separate piles depending on which player they related to, and would be used for random entry of reinforcements

Might be fun if players also get the chance to bring in reinforcements from behind enemy lines from time to time.
I have sort of been letting these "cards" comments flow by without a response, and I want to thank you for continuing to bring it up, because the more I think about it, the more it seems to resonate.

You know, I DO like the idea of the reinforcement cards -- that would allow you to "shuffle" things around a lot easier than dealing with multiple die rolls every turn. You could introduce delays in reinforcements simply by adding blank cards to the mix, and you could limit the numbers of certain types of reinforcements just by limiting the number of cards reading "Ogre Mk VI" on them. Likewise, you could even use a mix of them -- some straightforward reinforcement cards, some containing variable tables you could roll on, some containing a reinforcement, but making it conditional (e.g., "you must roll 1D6, this reinforcement arrives after the indicated number of turns have passed," or " Roll 1D6 (or 1D8 or 1D10, or whatever), this reinforcement arrives on the entry hex indicated by the die roll result").

Really, the cards are an excellent idea and avoid the game becoming a die-roll fest...(at least more so than it already is by virtue of using a CRT).
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
"Sound of Thunder" might be more evocative of something or other... :-)
Sound of the Guns. As in marching to them.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Toltrin

If you want a randomized, balanced reinforcement method, check out mine...
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
If you want a randomized, balanced reinforcement method, check out mine...
The dice are interesting, but I just don't instinctively understand the symbols you use, and having to pick from the various categories is a little more complex than I'd like for reinforcements. Although it may be less complicated than I think, and I'm just not understanding it because of the symbols... :)

I really like the card system, but there needs to be a lot of different cards, and I had suggested to Stabilizer over on the BGG forums that there be multiple decks of reinforcements with different point values as well. I also suggested objective cards and location cards (both entry and on-board for setup/objectives), all of which could be combined to help run a large convention free-for-all as well as solo play. I really ought to just come up with a list of cards and post it somewhere for comments - I have almost no artistic ability, but would be happy to collaborate with others who do :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
Eddie Elsewhere

Another advantage to a card based system is that you can preset limits to reinforcements by simply noting which cards are to be removed from or added to the deck in each scenario. no OGRE's for one sides reinforcements, say, or more GEV's.
Eddie Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Elsewhere View Post
Another advantage to a card based system is that you can preset limits to reinforcements by simply noting which cards are to be removed from or added to the deck in each scenario. no OGRE's for one sides reinforcements, say, or more GEV's.
Yeah. I think I said the same thing. Cards have a lot of flexibility, without having to generate a table for every conceivable option. You simply change the number of cards (either up or down), remove some types or add them, increase or decrease the number of cards drawn or the number of turns between draws and so on. You can add multiple, tailored decks for each entry hex, and shuffle the decks periodically to introduce further randomization, and so on. In short, the more I think about it, the better I think it solves our problem instead of trying to come up with some sort of massive (and it would have to be massive) table.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
ColBosch

Custom cards are an absolute non-starter for me, unless someone can point to me to place to buy good-quality blanks.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Custom cards are an absolute non-starter for me, unless someone can point to me to place to buy good-quality blanks.
I rather imagine you could use the blanks for a set of business cards and simply run some very nice and professional looking cards directly off of your home printer.