Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Angrytubist

Default New Car Wars Design Forums?

As you can see I joined this site very recently, this is in large part due to learning of the success of the OGRE kickstarter and of the planned Car Wars kickstarter after a six month hiatus from gaming. Sadly I learned of the project too late to make a donation, and so far as I know, making a donation to the OGRE project is the only way to get into the design forums.

I've been playing Car Wars on and off for the last 12 years, it was the game that introduced me to the tabletop gaming hobby. I would gladly purchase a T-shirt (if they have any left lying around) or better yet the 30-40$ worth of Car Wars .pdf's I've been lusting after, in order to gain membership in the club. I genuinely care about the future of the game and am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm posting this because I know SJG staff browse these forums, and I was wondering if an alternate method of joining the new design forum exists.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Parody

Default Re: New Car Wars Design Forums?

There's plenty of time for SJG to figure out how to let more people participate; they haven't even asked what size t-shirt we'd like yet. It'll be a while before they finish the huge pile of OGRE and move on to setting up design forums for Car Wars.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

We are not yet ready to launch the forum for preliminary discussions. When we do that forum will be open only to the appropriate Ogre project Kickstarter backers.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
C. J. Burke

Pity. Like Angrytubist, I missed out on it. Unlike him, I had an online account, but it was a combo of not paying attention and problems at work monopolizing my attention.
C. J. Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Angrytubist

First of all I'd like to thank philreed for replying to my post so promptly. Admittedly I'm less than elated to hear him confirm what I feared. Hopefully the many members of this forum, and SJG employees who are/will-be members of the new forums will keep those of us here updated.

I guess I'll just wait for the Car Wars kickstarter, and go on and order those .pdf's :).
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
swordtart

It seems an odd decision that those people who have been buying CW products for years and keeping the game alive in their local areas and through this forum will have no say in what a proposed 6th edition will be.

It seems even more bizzarre when other people who may have never played CW but just happened to want to buy another game should be invited to contribute.

Maybe there is a logic that those who have contributed to a kickstarter should be able to contribute ideas on how SJG should format the CW kickstarter, but not the desgin of the game itself.

Hopefully those that contribute to the CW kickstarter itself will be given an opportunity to contribute to the design decisions just as those who contributed to the OGRE kickstarter got to contribute to the design discussions for their own game.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

It would be unfair to the thousands of Ogre project Kickstarter backers to go back on the promise made to them. The deal with made with backers is very clear and will be kept.

Everyone had an equal chance to participate. Once the Car Wars Kickstarter project launches there will be other opportunities for input; the forums will be used to lock the basics of the game and many details will be decided during the Car Wars Kickstarter project.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Too Bo Coo

To be very honest, all of this CW stuff seems much more like a carrot hung in front of people's faces than a bona fide 'plan'. I'm not holding my breath here, and lord knows there's plenty of CW stuff published that what's out there is plenty enough to house rule into sense. I'll be shocked if CW6 sees the light of day, and if it does, it's so far down the pike that I couldn't care less at this point.

I personally didn't understand the link between Ogre (a game I have less than zero interest in) and CW, but it's SJG's game to lose.

When SJG decides to adopt a CW revision then I'll put my 2 cents in about it, or not. But at this point, speculation is worst than worthless. Let SJG get done with their Ogre thingie and then they can see what the customer interest is in a new CW, or not.
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Angrytubist

I truly hope I haven't opened a huge can of worms with my first thread. I never stated that I did not get a chance to participate, I was just a day late and a dollar short as they say (story of my life).

I am disappointed that I won't be participating in the design forums, as well as missing out on a sweet Car Wars shirt. On a related note, I'm not particularly stoked to realize I'll be waiting a $#@% year to buy my OGRE set. I probably would have bought one through kickstarter had I known. As I'm a fan of that game as well.

I'm not particularly worried about the majority on the new CW forums being OGRE kickstarter supporters. I'm a fan of both games as are many others. There will be many that will participate in both forums, so hopefully we will see plenty of "idea osmosis" between the two.

Personally I plan to remain active here and join the CW kickstarter when it begins (can't wait!!!).

P.S. I am happy to note that SJG staff is continuing to state that 6th edition is going be based off of 2.5e

Last edited by Angrytubist; 05-22-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: read philreed's post below
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Bo Coo View Post
I'll be shocked if CW6 sees the light of day . . .
Our Kickstarter stretch goal was met and will be executed as promised:

"$700,000 - GOAL ACHIEVED! - Drive Offensively! We will launch a Kickstarter project for Car Wars! We *think* this will turn out to be a refinement of Car Wars Compendium 2.5, but you'll tell us. Our supporters at the [new] $23 level and higher will be invited to join an exclusive Car Wars forum, where we’ll build the new edition from the ground up - issues like "which classic cover do we use?," "10 phase, 5 phase, or 3 phase movement?," and "do we include boats?" Once the project launches, surveys will be open to the public, but only supporters of the current project will get in on the preliminary planning. And we'll take everything we have learned from our Ogre Kickstarter project to make the Car Wars project even better. If we make this goal, the private Car Wars forum and surveys will launch before the end of 2012. The game will be published in late 2013.
(PS #1 - And we will add staff as necessary to make sure that the Car Wars and Ogre projects don’t compete for attention!)
(PS #2 - To make sure this is clear: Supporters of Ogre are not receiving a copy of the new Car Wars. You’re just making us DO it. Thank you . . . we think!)"

Tags
design forums, kickstarter, new forums