Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
draxdeveloper

Default Extra Lifes and cortor who like regeneration

Hello, i will give to all the players in my game a version of extra life that remember the time lords regeneration.
Like in doctor who, using a extra life would change the appearance and personality.
But, it goes beyond (kind of) and the player have to create a new sheet.
The player can keep almost all knowledge from skills, but anything based on personality and in his body have to change (is a new character with almost all memories from the previous one)
The player have to take the cost of the advantage (that is less than the basic cost from extra life). So the regeneration is always weaker than the previous form, except if the player have CP stored to pay the difference.

Ok, the thing is, i don't know what modifiers use.

To me there is only one, the fact that you have to change your whole character.
But i don't know what is the value of this, 10%? 20%?
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Extra Lifes and cortor who like regeneration

Unkillable 2 or 3: Reincarnation limitation.
To make the Time Lord version just give it a limited number of uses.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
Hello, i will give to all the players in my game a version of extra life that remember the time lords regeneration.
Like in doctor who, using a extra life would change the appearance and personality.
This is pretty much exactly the Reincarnation limitation from Unkillable. I'd be fine putting it on Extra Life instead, but bear in mind that if you're going to be having more than about 4 "incarnations" allowed, it's cheaper and probably fairer to just give them Unkillable instead, with some small limitation to represent the fact that they're capped at a certain number of ressurections.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
This is pretty much exactly the Reincarnation limitation from Unkillable. I'd be fine putting it on Extra Life instead, but bear in mind that if you're going to be having more than about 4 "incarnations" allowed, it's cheaper and probably fairer to just give them Unkillable instead, with some small limitation to represent the fact that they're capped at a certain number of ressurections.
I will give the advantage. But the idea is that they loose some CP in each reincarnation.

There is no limit for the extra lives, but each resurrection have a cost.
The concept is that death is (kind of) not permanent.
In other words, i don't want that a player loose all the CP acquired and all the history of the character (having to introduce a new one on the group with the risk of plot issue)
So, they character will "die", that incarnation is lost but if before he died he got 40 CP from the start, not all those CP will be discard.
Also, any artifact and equipment will be keeped.
And all the character history will also be keeped.

But ty you both, i will use the same limitation but apply on extra life.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Also, what limitation you would use?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Hmm. If you want each resurrection to have a permanent cost, you could use Unkillable, but with a "costs character points" limitation. Rules for that in Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys ("Character Point-Powered Abilities, p. 13), but the short version is, you divide the cost of the advantage by 5, and then each use of it costs character points, exactly how much depending on how appropriate it is, from 1 point to totally appropriate, up to the full cost of the advantage (after dividing by 5) for completely frivolous uses. Changing that from requiring unspent character points to instead costing points in the form of lost advantages/skills, or new disadvantages, seems reasonable to me.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Edges

If you're giving it to all the PCs, you needn't bother building with a point cost. Just design it the way you want it to work, give it a snappy name, and say everyone has it. No need to mess around with modifiers and numbers. It's a campaign feature.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
If you're giving it to all the PCs, you needn't bother building with a point cost. Just design it the way you want it to work, give it a snappy name, and say everyone has it.
This is actually very true! There are, I would say, only two main reasons to actually stat out this sort of thing: 1) if you're going to allow someone to opt out of it, if you know the trait's cost, you can treat not having that as a disadvantage. Or, 2) if full-blown, unlimited Unkillable is available to buy as well, you should really charge the fully-Unkillable character the difference between that and the modified trait.

If neither of these things are options, as Edges says, just explain to everyone how it works, but don't have them put it on their character sheet.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
If you're giving it to all the PCs, you needn't bother building with a point cost. Just design it the way you want it to work, give it a snappy name, and say everyone has it. No need to mess around with modifiers and numbers. It's a campaign feature.
yeah, but like i said before. Is a feature that have a CP cost to use.
You don't pay to have, but you pay if you want to use it.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
yeah, but like i said before. Is a feature that have a CP cost to use.
You don't pay to have, but you pay if you want to use it.
In that case, you can arbitrarily set the CP cost to use the feature. I wouldn't set it much higher than 25 CP (because that's the cost of Extra Life, but more importantly, 25 CP is a good number: big enough to hurt, for sure, but not so huge as to cripple a character, mostly). But anything lower is probably fine. You could set a sliding scale, even, so someone resurrected after only a minute only loses, say, 5 CP, while someone who comes back a month after being buried six feet deep loses the full 25 CP.