Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #2021
L.J.Steele
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

An then, there's the series of Japanese gum ads

Yes, it's 6 min long, but watch to the end
https://twitter.com/MothershipSG/sta...06293499215872
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #2022
L.J.Steele
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

And the world's rarest pasta

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/o...=pocket-newtab
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #2023
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
An then, there's the series of Japanese gum ads

Yes, it's 6 min long, but watch to the end
https://twitter.com/MothershipSG/sta...06293499215872
Is it the one I'm thinking of?.... Yep, it is. :)
I miss those story commercials that used to be far more common here.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:42 AM   #2024
cptbutton
 
cptbutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
A man from Virginia turned himself in at the FBI headquarters this morning, claiming that he was guilty of killing more than 30 people, including the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln.

71-year-old Leroy Timothy Anderson, claims he worked for 35 years as a “time-traveling assassin” for a secret governmental agency and says he has killed people at various times, going from 1678 to 2239.
Timestop or Stopwatch?
cptbutton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #2025
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Timestop or Stopwatch?
Just "Killing Time"?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #2026
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Ooh, imagine a highly trained time traveling agent that breaks the secret due to undiagnosed dementia.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #2027
Terebrant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

I saw an article about a bridge theft.

If it really was for the metal, why take only the centerpart? Were they making room for something to pass? Who would commission or accept to do that?
Terebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #2028
Dr. Beckenstein
 
Dr. Beckenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Politics and economics, always worth a look.

Esp. when they are related to 20 tons of gold.

In 2016, Venezuela borrowed $ 750 millions from the Deutsche Bank. As a pledge, they used 20 tons of gold, resting in a vault in London. Venezuela did not pay back the loan, so the Gold now belongs to the gnomes of Frankfurt.

So far, so good.

But since 2016, the gold price went up, so the 20 tons of gold are today worth about $ 860 millions. The difference belongs, of course, to the government of Venezuela.
But which one? The one of the ruling president Maduro, or the self-claimed "interims"-president Guaidó?
Giving it to Maduro will make many people unhappy, among them the US Government. Giving it to Guaidó will make other people unhappy, among them the Government of Russia.

Until a decision is made, the gold collects dust in the London vault, and the bankers in London and Frankfurt put on their best poker-faces.

So, what do we get?

Excellent plot hooks.

A "real-world" campaign could range from classic, grim-and-gritty espionage, when US and Russian Agents try to secure the money for their favourite party ("Great! It's like the 80's are back!") to an Oceans-11 styled caper, when a merry band of gentlemen-burglars try to double-cross CIA and FSB and grab all the shiny gold.

It could be easily adapted to other settings. In a science fiction setting, it could be a colony planet that borrowed money from a mega corporation. In fantasy, it could be noble that took a loan from a guild (or maybe a god?), and the pledge could be a village whose serfs suddenly have new masters.

Other ideas?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-deutsche-bank
__________________
""The origin of everything good is due to games." - Friedrich August Wilhelm Froebel, creator of the kindergarten.
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #2029
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
Politics and economics, always worth a look.

Esp. when they are related to 20 tons of gold.

In 2016, Venezuela borrowed $ 750 millions from the Deutsche Bank. As a pledge, they used 20 tons of gold, resting in a vault in London. Venezuela did not pay back the loan, so the Gold now belongs to the gnomes of Frankfurt.

So far, so good.

But since 2016, the gold price went up, so the 20 tons of gold are today worth about $ 860 millions. The difference belongs, of course, to the government of Venezuela.
But which one? The one of the ruling president Maduro, or the self-claimed "interims"-president Guaidó?
Giving it to Maduro will make many people unhappy, among them the US Government. Giving it to Guaidó will make other people unhappy, among them the Government of Russia.

Until a decision is made, the gold collects dust in the London vault, and the bankers in London and Frankfurt put on their best poker-faces.

So, what do we get?

Excellent plot hooks.

A "real-world" campaign could range from classic, grim-and-gritty espionage, when US and Russian Agents try to secure the money for their favourite party ("Great! It's like the 80's are back!") to an Oceans-11 styled caper, when a merry band of gentlemen-burglars try to double-cross CIA and FSB and grab all the shiny gold.
Hmm...double-crossing the FSB at that level of money might transform an Oceans 11 scenario into a 'run for your life and find a deep place to hide' scenario...which could be a good gaming hook for some not-too-bright (or very technically clever but otherwise clueless) crooks.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #2030
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebrant View Post
I saw an article about a bridge theft.

If it really was for the metal, why take only the centerpart? Were they making room for something to pass? Who would commission or accept to do that?
the centerpart was known to have fallen. The thieves didn't need to climb to get to it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.