Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Railstar

Default Re: [DF] Disadvantages for clerics

I would treat it as Vow [-5], similar to the Vow "never use black magic" on the Freelance Wizard template in GURPS Banestorm.

Technically a vow to never use "black magic" doesn't cost you anything if you're not interested in using black magic... and there's very good reasons not to use black magic.

It prohibits a range of other magic items, but probably not most magic items. I'd be fairly consistent with the -5, because if magic items are common then the cleric will find more items he cannot use, but if magic items are rare then not being able to use one of the few magic items found in the campaign will be a greater loss.

Also, I consider taking such a disadvantage to be an agreement between the PC & GM saying, "I expect some of the magic items we find to be unusable by me."

Never saying the name of other gods would be the Forbidden Utterance quirk.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Nothing of which stops your Cleric of Odin from picking the Holy warhammer Blessed by Thor and smacking Evil with it's full suite of benes.
Correct. But wether you are able to use the holy powers of the item depend on the campaign/world assumptions. In some campaigns yo can in others you cannot.

Quote:
Also, nice job skipping the literal first sentence of the Cleric description: "You’re the mortal representative of the Powers of Good."
Well, it is hardly relevant as the other things make it clear that it is still only only deity you worship.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Correct. But wether you are able to use the holy powers of the item depend on the campaign/world assumptions. In some campaigns yo can in others you cannot.
In any campaign you can normally only learn abilities from powers that you have at least one level of talent in. That's not what the OP is talking about. They specifically say holy items, not holy might abilities or spells, e.g. you aren't permitted to wield a sword with +1 puissance if it has a holy or divine source that isn't yours.

Quote:
Well, it is hardly relevant as the other things make it clear that it is still only only deity you worship.
There's no game mechanical reason you can't be a priest of a pantheon, especially with the generic cleric (as opposed to the DF7 clerics). You are reading too much into the fluff, the only actual restriction is that you are limited to one list of abilities and spells. That's it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleric, fantasy