Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Cleaning DLP Mini prints

I've ordered my first DLP 3d printer. I've been impressed with their ability to print minis so, that's my purpose. I love my FDM printers, but, they lack the ability to have really fine detail. They're great for terrain and vehicles, but awful for actual minis.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the post-printing process on resin (DLP/SLA) printers?

I'm going to build a UV oven with some 395-405nm UV light strips to finish the curing process (thank you ravers and night fishers for making those main stream enough to get on Amazon). I was wondering if anyone had any advice about cleaning the prints?

I've heard some people use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, with isopropyl alcohol to clean their prints, and was wondering if the jewelry cleaners were able to handle the alcohol, or if I'd be burning through them as fast as resin?
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Cleaning DLP Mini prints

Long ago, when I was painting brass model railroad engines, a good soak in acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner was the preferred method. I forget the brand name, but one maker had a design of machine where the vessel you filled with acetone was a stainless steel part, removable, so it could be cleaned between uses. Now it'll bug me until I can remember the name of the maker.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

One day all minis will be DLP. We're not there yet. So you are on the cutting edge; by all means, keep cutting. (No, I have no idea what it will do to the business model, but good sculpting and creative design, I think, will always find a market. - whatever the current tools may be to produce it.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

I know I'm looking forward to being able to buy all sorts of printable figures. There are some talented creators on Thingiverse that have some awesome minis that my FDM printers can't print effectively (due to details). I've downloaded the demo models from Hero Forge to test when I get my printer. I've also got some DAZ models built out, for use in Tabletop Simulator, which I'll test as well.

We'll see how well any/all of it works out.

My take on the business model: I don't think it will have much effect on the sculptors, but it will require miniature-heavy companies like GW and Privateer Press to re-think their strategy.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Please let us know how the Hero Forge samples work out.

I was frustrated to find out that they can't provide large figures at a high resolution. They suggested I build a file and send it to Shapeways.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Please let us know how the Hero Forge samples work out.
Will do.

Quote:
I was frustrated to find out that they can't provide large figures at a high resolution. They suggested I build a file and send it to Shapeways.
The printer I'm getting (Anycubic Photon) has a build area of 65 x 115 x 155mm. So, it can't do large figures, but it can do tall figures. So, depending on how you position them on the build plate, you might be able to do "larger" than "normal" figures.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I'm collecting 54mm fighters and wizards. Which is a bit on the large side if you think of 28mm as normal. But not that large in an absolute sense.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
I'm collecting 54mm fighters and wizards. Which is a bit on the large side if you think of 28mm as normal. But not that large in an absolute sense.
That's weird. A 54mm figure isn't that large. It's not going to be a fast print, but just about any DLP printer should be able to handle it.

I loaded the demo paladin from Hero Forge into the slicer and doubled its size. It became ~80.5mm tall. That does count its base and the wings on its helmet (I can slice the base off). The estimated print time is five hours, thirteen minutes. A long print, for sure, but nothing outside the normal times. (I've had 24-hour print times on my FDMs for some larger pieces of terrain.)

(Image from Slicer; the yellow bits are supports to assist in printing.)

Once I get the hang of the printer, I'll be happy to try to print one (or more) for you.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
I noticed an update to their site today. They now offer XL Plastic and XL Steel (click the +More under materials), which is twice as large. For a significant increase in cost.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

But not (yet) in the Premium Plastic, which seems to be what you want if you're going to try to create a nice painted mini.