Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Porter

Default Malign Mirror

I have tried to find an answer for this on the FAQ and forums to no avail.

The text on Malign Mirror says that you may not get a bonus from items other than armour for your next combat. And an item such as Spiked Knees says '+1 Bonus' on the top, and I belive all of the equipable items (save kneepads of allure) follow the same formula. (as it stands right now I only have the base Munchkin game, althought that will change in a few hours) Items such as the freezing potion do not say 'bonus' anywhere. So, my question is does M-Mirror dissalow me from using items such as potions in the next combat? Because, due to what I am led to belive a 'freezing potion' is, even though the card says '+3 to either side' I belive it is not so much a bonus to me as a penalty to the other side.

This then leads me to my next question, what if someone else throws the potion on the monster? What if someone else throws the potion on me?
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Malign Mirror

A bonus is a bonus, a penalty is a penalty. Potions are bonuses that can be applied to a Monster or a munchkin, not penalties to the opposing side, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Using that logic, all Items equipped would then be penalties against the other side and the Malign Mirror wouldn't have meaning.

With respect to the victim of the Malign Mirror, I have always allowed everyone, including the victim, to play potions for either side of the combat, though that might not seem in step with the text of the card now, but made more sense with the original text.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-03-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: I seem to have problem with forgetting my grammar
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
The text on Malign Mirror says that you may not get a bonus from items other than armour for your next combat.
Actually, it says you may not get bonuses from weapons. That's different from saying you can ONLY get it from Armor.

Quote:
So, my question is does M-Mirror dissalow me from using items such as potions in the next combat?
I do not believe Potions are considered Weapons, so yes, you could still use them.

Quote:
This then leads me to my next question, what if someone else throws the potion on the monster?
Well, if the potion gives a bonus, and the other guy is giving the bonus to the monster, Malign Mirror doesn't matter at all, since Malign Mirror only prevents -you- from getting certain bonuses.

Quote:
What if someone else throws the potion on me?
And, assuming my first bits were right, this is a moot question, since (if I'm right) Potions aren't Weapons.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadianRefugee
Actually, it says you may not get bonuses from weapons. That's different from saying you can ONLY get it from Armor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin Errata
Corrected in the 13th Printing

On the text for the Malign Mirror, change "weapon" to "items except Armor."
;-)

Ignore this superfluous sentence.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Check the errata. There's been a modification of the card, and at least one person here seems to have gotten the latest printing. . .

The mod was not what I had suggested when we were presented with a need to update the card so as to reduce confusion, so I feel that this new wording is too strict. I would have tacked on a bit about letting other players to continue to use one-shot combat cards for or against the munchkin, but not allowing the munchkin to use one-shot Items (but still use Monster Enhancers).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
13th printing
Jesus.... Guess I gotta go download yet ANOTHER copy of the thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Check the errata. There's been a modification of the card. . ..
Did they change the bit about "Remove Curse"? :)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
A bonus is a bonus, a penalty is a penalty. Potions are bonuses that can be applied to a Monster or a munchkin, not penalties to the opposing side, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Using that logic, all Items equipped would then be penalties against the other side and the Malign Mirror wouldn't have meaning.
My thinking was along the lines of table-top gaming... My potion of frezzing helps me because when I throw it at the monster it hinders it... if that makes any sense.

Anyway, when this came up we decided to, at least for that game, house-rule that it does not apply to one-shot items, including potions, and it looks like I am not the only one who shares this view.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Porter

Quote:
Jesus.... Guess I gotta go download yet ANOTHER copy of the thing....

Did they change the bit about "Remove Curse"? :)

I would give the text of the entire card, but I do not know if thats allowed, so for now I will play it safe, but I feel I can tell you that a) it is a curse card, and b) the card ends with 'A Wishing Ring will lift the curse.'
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
...the card ends with 'A Wishing Ring will lift the curse.'
Yeah, that's the bit. Wires got crossed when they first made the card and they referred to using a "Remove Curse" -- which, of course, doesn't exist in the game.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Porter

Quote:
Yeah, that's the bit. Wires got crossed when they first made the card and they referred to using a "Remove Curse" -- which, of course, doesn't exist in the game.
Yeah, I read about that in the errata, but had I seen a 'remove curse' bit, I would have regarded a wishing ring as a remove curse.

Tags
malign mirror, one-shot