Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default (PU1: Imbuements) General Imbuement Questions.

The notations of the Imbue advantage include descriptions of 50% and 300% level Cosmic PM Enhancements propagating to the skills... Can players willing to pay the +100% Cosmic, No Die Roll Required version escape those tough skill rolls (as long as the effective skill stays over 3)?

At the end of the book, it describes an Imbue Power designed Powers style. They specify 10 points per level instead of 5 because of the various attack advantages added to the mix. It says however, that any of these attack abilities have to have the Universal Follow up enhancement. Follow up attacks have no skill roll, and talent adds to rolls to hit. So the Talent is more expensive for the Powers version, despite it being worthless for any added Advantages (except perhaps for extra effort and the like)... Is this oversight, or intention?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: (PU1: Imbuements) General Imbuement Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The notations of the Imbue advantage include descriptions of 50% and 300% level Cosmic PM Enhancements propagating to the skills... Can players willing to pay the +100% Cosmic, No Die Roll Required version escape those tough skill rolls (as long as the effective skill stays over 3)?
It's how I've used it, and it really hasn't been a problem so far.

Oh, and the reference to Imbuement Talent is for those with the "wild" version of Imbue. If you have no power source, there has to be SOME talent to help you out!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
zoncxs

The imbue advantage is an unusual background that allows you to use the skills. Like magery 0.

Also like magery, adding cosmic no die roll required to the advantage does not help you out with the imbuemwnt skill rolls.

At the end of power ups 1, it is talking about follow up innate attacks and the likes.

With the +50% follow up you can use it with normal attack (like punching).

The new pyramid article goes into this in greater detail (elemental imbued souls).
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
The imbue advantage is an unusual background that allows you to use the skills. Like magery 0.
Imbue is a levelled power, and in it's description it indicates using a Power Modifier and using Cosmic to bypass armor for all Imbuements. I have never seen an Unusual background with special modifiers or UB or Talent that you would take a Power Modifier on. I have to disagree with you on this point and comparison.
Quote:
Also like magery, adding cosmic no die roll required to the advantage does not help you out with the imbuemwnt skill rolls.
Magery is a Talent that adds to magic. Imbue is the power itself. You can't put a PM or Cosmic to bypass all armor on Magery either, but both are expressly allowed on Imbue.
Quote:
At the end of power ups 1, it is talking about follow up innate attacks and the likes.

With the +50% follow up you can use it with normal attack (like punching).
Right, so Eldrich Talent adds to Magery rolls, Thaumatology, and all Imbuements that are of that source, but making it a power doubles that cost because it could apply to a bunch of follow up powers that receive no benefit from talent. I think that's a little weird is all.

Also, the +50% is to let you attach it to any attack, rather than a single specific one. You could always add a follow up to a punch or any single specific attack.

Quote:
The new pyramid article goes into this in greater detail (elemental imbued souls).
Unfortunately I don't have the latest Pyramid and won't have it in the budget for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
SCAR

Quote:
Elemental Soul Imbuements from Pyramid 3#60: Dungeon Fantasy III aren't really anything to do with Imbuements or the Imbue advantage.
They are their own abilities, built as powers. They have the Magical power modifier and have Imbuement Skills as prerequisites, but that's really just thematic fluff.
You could take the abilities, remove or change the prerequisites (since they don't actually affect the abilities), and the power modifier without changing what the abilties do. They would make a pretty could Power-Up for an Elementalists (of the DF9 kind or not).
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

To answer the question, "Why does the Talent cost 10 points/level?":
  1. It adds to all uses of the power, like any power Talent. This means +1 per level to the canonical Detect ability and to any other ability the GM permits with the power modifier . . . remember, ability lists are not exhaustive or closed! It seems likely that an Imbuement power might include abilities such as Healing for weapons only, Snatcher for weapons only, etc. Talent also gives +1 per level to Power Block attempts with the canonical Protected Power and to Power Parry attempts with all the included abilities. And there's the +1 per level to rolls for stunts: temporary enhancements, using abilities at default, etc.

2. It adds to all Imbument skills.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

... I PMed Kromm on the first question....
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

I await his response, as I'm more than willing to spend that 100% myself.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Kromm's Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The Imbue advantage can take modifiers – but as with modifiers to magic spells (which Thaumatology enables via perk-technique combos), I'd be cautious about any modifier that changes the basic structure of ability use as opposed to ability effects. Thus, my own inclination would be not to allow No Die Roll Required . . . or for that matter Reduced Fatigue Cost or Reliable. (The same could be said for Reduced Time, if time mattered to Imbuement Skills.) I'd also avoid effects that ape Imbuement Skills, so no Affects Insubstantial (that's Ghostly Weapon), Cone (that's Conic Blast), Overhead (that's Arching Shot), etc. This is ultimately up to the GM, but the above is as close to an "official" ruling as I'll give.
So it's technically legal to use whatever on Imbue, but a GM call, and not recommended by Kromm...
Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Kromm's Reply:

So it's technically legal to use whatever on Imbue, but a GM call, and not recommended by Kromm...
If it's technically legal and up to GM judgement, that just means you need to work on your Fast Talk skill vs your GM! Or, you can just have a Pact limitation to say you won't take your effective skill below, say 10.