Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
CarrionPeacock

Default [DF] Knight Power-up: Helmet Mastery?

Helmets are important in combat but they're very restricting.
How can I build an ability to avoid No Peripheral Vision and Hard of Hearing when wearing a full helm?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [DF] Knight Power-up: Helmet Mastery?

Penetrating Vision will allow you to see through a completely closed helmet (and through walls, so long as they are (6"-helm thickness) thick or thinner). Acute Hearing 4* will negate the drawbacks of Hard of Hearing. Limiting both of the above to only when wearing a helmet, and only to negate the helmet's drawbacks, will reduce the costs markedly. At -80%, you're looking at a cost of [4].

Alternatively, and perhaps more appropriately, building Negated Disadvantage traits (without the corresponding Disadvantages) may work. Negated Disadvantage: No Peripheral Vision has a base cost of [15]; having it only work to negate the Disadvantage when you get it from wearing a helmet would be worth -80%. Similarly, Negated Disadvantage: Hard of Hearing has a base cost of [10], and again only working to negate the Disadvantage when you get it from wearing a helmet would probably be worth -80%. The Helmet Mastery Power Up would thus be worth [5]. I could see justification to call it -60%, for [10], however.

*It's problematic that Hard of Hearing is [-10] for -4 to Hearing, while Acute Hearing 4 is [8] for +4 to Hearing. Hard of Hearing does have an additional effect that it penalizes rolls that are reliant on you understanding someone, which this doesn't negate. Thus, I feel the latter approach is more appropriate.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
The Colonel

Would blindfighting help? Or would the lack of hearing get in the way of that?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
RyanW

I'm thinking this would work better as an aspect of the helmet. Either special design or enchantment.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'm thinking this would work better as an aspect of the helmet. Either special design or enchantment.
Yah but then if you walk into a no mana zone you turn into Rick Moranis as a side effect.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yah but then if you walk into a no mana zone you turn into Rick Moranis as a side effect.
That seems more like a feature than a bug.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Alternatively, and perhaps more appropriately, building Negated Disadvantage traits (without the corresponding Disadvantages) may work. Negated Disadvantage: No Peripheral Vision has a base cost of [15]; having it only work to negate the Disadvantage when you get it from wearing a helmet would be worth -80%. Similarly, Negated Disadvantage: Hard of Hearing has a base cost of [10], and again only working to negate the Disadvantage when you get it from wearing a helmet would probably be worth -80%. The Helmet Mastery Power Up would thus be worth [5]. I could see justification to call it -60%, for [10], however.
I feel those -80% discounts are too generous, considering that wearing a helmet is pretty much the default condition for this character's adventure time, and that the build specifically eliminates many of the reasons for removing a helmet anyway.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I feel those -80% discounts are too generous, considering that wearing a helmet is pretty much the default condition for this character's adventure time, and that the build specifically eliminates many of the reasons for removing a helmet anyway.
Eh, you can also get DR 5 (head only, cannot wear armor) for 5 points, at which point you don't need to wear a helmet.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I feel those -80% discounts are too generous . . .
I'm with you on that.

Buying personal DR needs more of an excuse than negating disadvantages "because I truly understand how people behave in combat" or the like.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Harald387

Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2 introduced the 'Contoured' modifier for helmet masks to remove the drawbacks of full-face helms.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy, helmets, power-up