Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #741
Bedevere

Default Re: Member House Rules

Hey everyone, I recently came up with a house rule that should help with the pace of place and I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

I play with only the base munchkin game and all expansions, so no Zombies, Marvel, etc... and with all 9 expansion packs plus some smaller packs (like princesses) included, someone always ends up drawing class or race cards as their face down door card. Even though in a well shuffled deck, this statistically should not happen, it is possible and someone inevitably gets screwed. That person has a much less enjoyable time playing and they tend to disengage which hurts the overall gameplay.

The idea I had to fix this is to pull out all race and class cards and put them into two piles, one for races and one for classes. Munchkins, at any time during their turn, can sell 500 Gold worth of items to draw one face down card from either the Race or the Class deck. This way, players will have exactly as many classes and races as they want and it takes away from the pain of drawing a class three turns in a row. This would be a large item sink so the rule to sell 1000 gold worth of items to go up a level might become less relevant in the early to mid game.

Additionally, players might end up selling lots of items for a chance at a specific class or race they want. This seems fine to me though because, while it might be overpowered to let them essentially choose whatever race or class they desire, they are limited by the amount of gold they have.

Races and Classes would get discarded into their own piles and shuffled back into their decks if those decks run out. Races and Classes also now have a sell value of 100 gold to discourage people from hoarding classes and races to prevent other munchkins from getting any, although this is a perfectly valid strategy with these rules.

Let me know what you think and if this needs any tweaking.
Bedevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #742
Geeq

Default Munchkin TMNT: 3 players, 2 characters each?

Hey, there’s 3 of us, and we’re looking at a way to change up TMNT. I was thinking it would be cool for each of us to use 2 characters, like Mikey/Leo, Raph/Casey and Donny/April... or something along those lines. But not sure how that would work with levels and or kicking down doors.

Does anyone already have rules for this or a variation thereof?
Geeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #743
Babskies

Default Re: Member House Rules

Hi all, I've been a long time player of Munchkin and adore all the variations of the game. A few years back I heard about the Munchkin temporary tattoos and how they give a bonus while being worn. Me being me, I went and got a real Munchkin tattoo (zombie themed, a mash-up of two cards, pop cans for shoes and an umbrella through the head) and am wondering what the SJ Games staff and community think about that giving me a +1 or +2.
Babskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #744
HappyWackers

Default Win conditions

I want to give my playgroup more win conditions. The current conditions are:

Get to level 10 - win

Seven seals opened - current game ends highest level player wins.

Reached time limit - highest level player wins.

Control all 6 infinity gems with the gauntlet - win the game

Get a set of 4 different food tokens - win the game

Be the reason why every player dies - win the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does a single player winning 3 different quest cards sound as a win condition? I have a ton of side quest duplicates.

Also, please post ideas on good win conditions- I have every set, so be creative!
HappyWackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #745
Doobuggy

Default Re: EPIC TMNT & Feats

I read over the rules for Epic Munchkin and everything appears rather straight forward. TMNT can be played up to level 20, however, there would be no "feats" for epic tmnt games. Has anyone played a game of Epic TMNT before? did you ignore "feats" or did you come up with your own? Perhaps, for those interested in playing Epic TMNT, we could workshop some "feats" online?
Doobuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #746
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobuggy View Post
I read over the rules for Epic Munchkin and everything appears rather straight forward. TMNT can be played up to level 20, however, there would be no "feats" for epic tmnt games. Has anyone played a game of Epic TMNT before? did you ignore "feats" or did you come up with your own? Perhaps, for those interested in playing Epic TMNT, we could workshop some "feats" online?

Here are the Epic Abilities I made up for EPIC TMNT

Aggressive Stance
Screw the Rules; I Have Fury -- You may use your Team-up/Loner Ability for any combat, ignoring the usual conditions or cost of discarding an Ally.
In addition, you may have two additional allies.

Defensive Stance
BLOCK! -- You may discard an Ally card, Kata card, or items worth at least $500 to negate a Curse or Bad Stuff.

Technical Stance
Extra Skill -- You may have up to 3 additional Ranks of Kata.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #747
Fumetsujo

Default Teamplay Munchkin Card Game idea

Good day everybody,

I'm a longtime Munchkin fan (but 2019 is first time I decide to traverse the SJ-games forum :p).
Mostly I play a Munchkin game (basic, Zombies, Legends, Cthulhu ,...) with my spouse, also a die-hard fan. Once in a while we have a few people that join our cause. We know the cards, our invitees not so. You can imagine that the competitive gameplay isn't as straight forward for non-veterans.
It happens that our sheer laughter and well.. kinda in-game evil doing, doesn't make the other players 'happy'.

That's why we came up with Muchkin Co-op, an idea where everybody plays together to reach a certain goal. Yay, Disney feelings for everybody!

Doc here

Pdf version here

Do give suggestions. I hope you enjoy it :).

Last edited by Fumetsujo; 09-02-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Fumetsujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #748
Doobuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunga View Post
Here are the Epic Abilities I made up for EPIC TMNT

Aggressive Stance
Screw the Rules; I Have Fury -- You may use your Team-up/Loner Ability for any combat, ignoring the usual conditions or cost of discarding an Ally.
In addition, you may have two additional allies.

Defensive Stance
BLOCK! -- You may discard an Ally card, Kata card, or items worth at least $500 to negate a Curse or Bad Stuff.

Technical Stance
Extra Skill -- You may have up to 3 additional Ranks of Kata.
Nice, I was thinking of tweaking the Stances for Epic play too! Have you play-tested them, you didn't find any of them are broken?
Doobuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #749
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobuggy View Post
Nice, I was thinking of tweaking the Stances for Epic play too! Have you play-tested them, you didn't find any of them are broken?
Not really broken, but the game kind of "buckles" under the weight of going Epic. Even with multiple options, some of my Epic Defensive players had a hard time utilizing the ability (one in particular did not and she was annoyingly uncurse-able). Epic Technical had a hard time getting more Kata cards to play until we had to recycle the door deck.

In a mash-up game, it worked a bit better for Technical
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #750
HeadCasey

Default Mega Munchkin

Hello, I am HeadCasey and I made a Mega Munchkins mashup game! 😂 hahaha
I combined all my good decks, wrote up a long complicated list of ajusted rules to bridge the gaps between the different themed packs and allow them all to seamlessly play together hahahaha

I also wrote up a solo player mode, for lonely people to play their Munchkins while isolating 😅

All of this currently set up to include:

Dungeon Cards (Base 6 and 6.5, Zombies 3, Marvel 2 and 3, Adventure Time)

Base Munchkin deck
Zombies Munchkin (and Walking Dead Expansion)
Rick and Morty Munchkin deck
Adventure Time Munchkin deck (and expansion)
Marvel Munchkins (Origonal and Xman decks, Cosmic Chaos and Majestic Mayhem expansions)
And lastly,
Pokemon Cards. Yes, Pokemon have been written into the game too because why not 😂 hahaha

Brilliant 🤣
Ok So My Updated Rules Are:

Base Munchkin:

Hand size is 8 cards, must have 8 or less in your hand before you can end your turn.

You may equip and unequip items anytime that you are not in combat.

No backpack (Adventure Time has a backpack card)

You may equip "One Shot" cards outside of combat, but the moment you enter a battle they all activate.

If you find a card that no longer makes sense based on the ajusted game, you may discard it and pick up 2 treasure cards

Card Combos:
Just to be clear card combos are allowed/encouraged, for example if you have two different items equiped that each say "The power of one-shots are doubled" then the math works out to be a double double. For example if you use a +2 one-shot, the first doubling card makes it +4 then the second doubling item makes it +8.

Monster Card Combos:
During any battle with a Monster of a specific type, Monsters of the matching type may be added to the battle without the need for "Wondering Monster" for example Demon Monster cards can join other Demons Monsters in battle, Parasites can simply join other Parasites in battle and so on. (Although normal Parasite rules still apply when they join)
If the monsters are defeated, only claim the level(s) of the origonal monster that entered the battle but claim the treasures of all defeated monsters that joined the fight in this way.

Trading:
On your turn, you may offer to trade by showing a card/cards from your hand publicly to all other players and allowing them to offer their cards publicly (from hand or play) as trade. If an agreement is met the cards are swapped.

Asking for help:
If a player is in a situation where they need to "ask for help" to defeat a monster, they must choose which other charactor to ask & offer them a reward such as "2 treasures" if the monster is defeated, the requested player may then choose to accept, decline and/or negotiate the reward on the request for help.

To allow the "player needing help" to decide who to ask without being influenced, the players outside the battle are not allowed to "offer to help" join the battle, anyone caught doing so will instantly go down a level.

Wondering Monster:
A player can use a "Wandering Monster" card on its own with the hope/intention of another player using it to play a monster card from their hand. If no one adds a monster then it is simply discarded.

Two "Wondering Monster" cards may be discarded from the hand to draw a treasure card.

Solo Play Base Rules:

If a "Wandering Monster" card appears upon opening the door, it counts as a lingering curse/trap card. It remains in play until the next monster battle begins, the wandering monster joins the fight by returning the last monster in the discard pile to join the fight.

If a +5 or +10 "to the monster" type cards appear from opening the door then they remain in play until the next fight and are applied to that monster.

If the player suffers bad stuff that says "you die" then they lose the game.

Pokemon Cards:

Cannon:
Due to Wild Pokemon roaming around most locations, at the beginning of your turn you must roll a dice: If it lands on a 3 or a 4 then you encounter a Wild Pokemon, publicly turn over the top Pokemon Card. It enters play.

The first pokemon card you encounter becomes your partner card and is worth either a +1, +2 or +3 depending on its evolution stage.
None evolving pokemon are +2.
Legendarys/mythics are +3.

Battles:
If a player encounters a second wild pokemon card after already equipping a partner pokemon, the two pokemon fight to the death based on this +1, +2, +3 stat system.
The lower stat Pokemon is defeated.

If the wild pokemon is defeated then send it to the discard pile and draw a treasure card.

If your partner pokemon is defeated, both it and the wild pokemon are discarded, also lose a level.

If a pokemon battle is a draw, call "odds" or "evens" then roll a dice. On a correct call you win the battle, incorect call losses.

Stat changes:
Munchkin cards that can affect the stats of "either side" such as a "+3 to either side" card may be used to affect "sides" of pokemon card stats during a pokemon battle.

Cheat Card:
You may only have one Partner Pokemon at a time but if you use a Cheat card with a Pokemon Card (Including when encountering a wild Pokemon) You may now have a second Partner Pokemon, however, going forward any wild Pokemon you encounter will appear and fight in the same number as Partner Pokemon.
For example if you have two Partner Pokemon and encounter a wild Pokemon battle, that battle will have two Pokemon as well.
Their combined stats VS your combined Pokemon stats.

Rick and Morty:

Portal Gun Secret Ablity:
Once per round, you may choose to roll a dice and follow it's affect. If rolled:
1 = The portal gun self destructs and is instantly discarded, if in battle this may also count as a +5 one shot.
2-5 = Change the Dungeon/Portal Card to a random one.
6 = Choose any Dungeon/Portal Card to replace the current one.

Marvel:

Marvel "Super power" cards may be equipped using base level represent Rank. For example, a player at level 4 base level can equip both a Rank 3 super power and a Rank 1 super power.

Munchkin Zombies:

The Zombie "Rank" cards work in the same way and on the same scale as the Marvel "Super Power" Cards. For Example a Player at Level 5 may equip both a Rank 2 Superpower marvel card and a rank 3 Zombie Power card.
HeadCasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice