Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
hal

Default Dinner with the Alchemist

Hello Folks,
As always, I keep an eye open for possible inspiration from various movies - but the movie titled "Dinner with the Alchemist" seems to be an interesting one worth discussing.

If you haven't seen it and you have Amazon Prime, you can watch it on Amazon Prime.

It is definitely one of those soft coated horror movies and leaves you scratching your head just a bit. In other words, like a proper horror movie, it hints at rather than reveals all of the horror.

If you had to run a campaign based on that movie, what GURPS books would you need (either of GURPS 3e or 4e)?

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Dinner with the Alchemist

Ritual path magic
Horror, or Monster hunters (depending on the direction you want to take it)

Possibly pyramid 3/66 if you want to differentiate alchemy more from voodoo.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Dinner with the Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Ritual path magic
Horror, or Monster hunters (depending on the direction you want to take it)

Possibly pyramid 3/66 if you want to differentiate alchemy more from voodoo.
Interesting.

What got to me was the fact that he claimed he was killed four times and came back before she implements her solution. The two brothers who were later executed after drinking the contents of the wine bottle, made me wonder too, what they would be classified as - reincarnations, or "brothers" to the Alchemist. Either way, the implications of what he is isn't entirely clear cut, and worse yet, makes you wonder just how many legends were sparked not because of people actively dealing with what they thought they were dealing with, but were dealing with HIM.

I'm keeping this deliberately obscure so as to not include spoilers.

Dang but that movie was fun. I have to say SKELETON KEY with Kate Hudson had me more interested in actively running a campaign based off a movie. In my campaign, the players came up against an old man who claimed he was a woman, but has been institutionalized for his insanity...

They found the house, they found the people involved, and BOY did they end up with some unexpected surprises. :)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote