Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
lexington

Default Re: [Spaceships] Ship's Armoury and Training Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Would you even need Refrigeration given that Space is Cold?
Passively radiating heat into space is a slow process, active cooling (or big extra radiators) are a must if you want part of your ship to stay cold.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyer View Post
Just a belated comment:

Spaceships divides ships into twenty systems. There is a pretty good reason to believe that each system represents 5% of mass rather than 5% of volume, but that doesn't really matter. Spaceships has extremely simple rules where each ship is divided into twenty slices, period.

Given that level of resolution, I think that gun racks in proportion to the crew size are included with the cabins or bunkrooms. The fact that those racks are in a compartment separate from the beds doesn't matter.

Compare page 17 where it comes to galley and mess facilities. Arms rooms are the same principle.
Galley, mess, toilets, corridors, doors that go "zzzsht", etc, would make up part of the mass and be proportional to the number of crew in cabins (and I guess that's where the rest of the 5 tons of mass is that I was wondering about).

The difference with an armoury would be that not all ships have armouries, so they should be explicitly stated as seprate uses of cabin space.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
The difference with an armoury would be that not all ships have armouries, so they should be explicitly stated as seprate uses of cabin space.
Yeah, an armory is important enough that it should have explicit mention. The one exception I might make is for a LARGE ship with a lot of quarters for 'Marines' or other ships might get the armory for 'free'; it would be bundled in with the space/mass for the quarters for all the marines. For small ships or ships that normally wouldn't have much of an arms locker, like a cargo ship, it should probably be spelled out.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post

Oddly though, you can add Refrigeration for additional cost, but no extra mass to the Cargo Bay. Where does the mass for the Refrigeration equipment go? Would you even need Refrigeration given that Space is Cold?
The the main refrigeration equipment is just part of the life support system for the ship as a whole. The modification to add refrigeration just requires laying some tubes of coolant through the surrounding hull.

And no, space isn't cold. Space isn't really anything. While a ship will get colder over time by radiating away heat, that's only if the heat output of the ship's systems and any heat absorbed from stellar sources is less than the radiation ability of the ship's hull. Otherwise, the ship might very well over-heat.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
omeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Galley, mess, toilets, corridors, doors that go "zzzsht", etc, would make up part of the mass and be proportional to the number of crew in cabins (and I guess that's where the rest of the 5 tons of mass is that I was wondering about).

I think you're trying to make Spaceships do what the long-awaited VDS will bring, and that does neither rule set justice.

Most of the habitat rooms which are listed on p. 18 are cases where multiple rooms give an increased bonus, or where each room has a substantial pricetag.
omeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, spaceships, weapons