Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #91
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Dangers in a Post Apocalyptic World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd like to talk about weather a bit as well if folks don't mind.

I really like the idea of "glass storms" where high rise building glass panes have shattered and created an ugly obstacle.

For the most part, the weather isn't crazy. Winters are cold and the short "summer" (lasting maybe 1-2 months) can get wicked hot. What weather hazards might the PCs have to look out for?
How about a weather super with unstable powers that cause wild shifts in weather in an area over short periods of time?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #92
Flyndaran
Untagged

Thermal inversions can cause mundane atmospheric problems near the surface to get concentrated and "stuck". In the real world, it's mostly dangerous levels of smog. But it would probably function as a death zone for more esoteric dangers.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #93
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
How about a weather super with unstable powers that cause wild shifts in weather in an area over short periods of time?
That could be interesting. Hmmm. Yes. That could be very interesting.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #94
Astromancer

I have not read the whole thread but I noticed something missing. No mentions of the problems of boating. Remember, Manhattan and Staton Island are islands! Queens and Brooklyn are on an island. And the Bronx is n a peninsula, if a broad one.

As your story is set in a post-apocalyptic New York the conditions of the bridges and underwater tunnels are vital. If they're substandard, you boat to go to or from New York. This leads to all sorts of fun. Might the Dark Mists bring in some dangerous sea life. There was an aquatic dinosaur that popped up to eat T Rexs. There were twelve foot long frog-like creatures that were ambush preditors. An insane super who his effectively the Gill Man from "Creature from the Black Lagoon." A crazed mad scientist could create "Deep Ones" ala Lovecraft. The watery possibilities are endless.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #95
Astromancer

Having now skimed the thread try this one. A super who doesn't know they're a super. In fact they're Superphobic! But when they enter REM sleep alternate personalities come ou to play.

Like certain African witch legends or some forms of the Greek vampire, this unaware supers dreamself is a predatory monster. Alternately, they could mind control ordinary animals and make them insane and vicious.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #96
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
For the most part, the weather isn't crazy. Winters are cold and the short "summer" (lasting maybe 1-2 months) can get wicked hot. What weather hazards might the PCs have to look out for?
For the most part the same things we already have to deal with, unless large masses are being teleported through time to an area at a different season, in which case you might get some crazily powerful storms (though they'll still mostly resemble tornados).
Old 08-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #97
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Having now skimed the thread try this one. A super who doesn't know they're a super. In fact they're Superphobic! But when they enter REM sleep alternate personalities come ou to play.

Like certain African witch legends or some forms of the Greek vampire, this unaware supers dreamself is a predatory monster. Alternately, they could mind control ordinary animals and make them insane and vicious.
It's rather classic for a waking pacifist to release a very destructive sleeping rage.

But a waking phobe could cause a lot of destruction with basic avoidance fears regardless of their preferences.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #98
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I have not read the whole thread but I noticed something missing. No mentions of the problems of boating. Remember, Manhattan and Staton Island are islands! Queens and Brooklyn are on an island. And the Bronx is n a peninsula, if a broad one.

As your story is set in a post-apocalyptic New York the conditions of the bridges and underwater tunnels are vital. If they're substandard, you boat to go to or from New York. This leads to all sorts of fun. Might the Dark Mists bring in some dangerous sea life. There was an aquatic dinosaur that popped up to eat T Rexs. There were twelve foot long frog-like creatures that were ambush preditors. An insane super who his effectively the Gill Man from "Creature from the Black Lagoon." A crazed mad scientist could create "Deep Ones" ala Lovecraft. The watery possibilities are endless.
Boating is actually something I've been thinking about lately, but only because the PCs raided a warehouse in Brooklyn that was by the water.

That said, dinos are out - see the various posts up above. The Dark Fog coincides with the destruction of Atlantis in the game world and that was about 30,000 years ago or so.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #99
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For the most part the same things we already have to deal with, unless large masses are being teleported through time to an area at a different season, in which case you might get some crazily powerful storms (though they'll still mostly resemble tornados).
Dark Fog is common enough that people know to steer clear, but not common enough that it's seen all over.

And noted about the weather.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #100
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

That's kind of "meh" for me. Sorry.

Become a Patron!