Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default If you have Growth, can you buy discounted ST above the normal amount?

The book's text isn't clear. I'd be inclined to say "no", but I'm not sure what's intended.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: If you have Growth, can you buy discounted ST above the normal amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
The book's text isn't clear. I'd be inclined to say "no", but I'm not sure what's intended.
The wording could be better but I think it means "yes". The additional ST is the minimum needed to support your own weight

There is nothing in the way it is worded to prevent the sample character with Growth 4 from having ST+40 with a -40% Size limitation (five more ST then is needed to support his 10 yard tall frame)
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: If you have Growth, can you buy discounted ST above the normal amount?

If you buy it with the size discount, then the strength only applies when that size.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If you buy it with the size discount, then the strength only applies when that size.
This.
You can buy more than the minimum the discount is basically an Accessibility and Nuisance limitation for being a certain size in order to use it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
This.
You can buy more than the minimum the discount is basically an Accessibility and Nuisance limitation for being a certain size in order to use it.
Just to clarify, if you buy additional levels, you still receive the full proporional ST at intermediate levels, right?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Just to clarify, if you buy additional levels, you still receive the full proporional ST at intermediate levels, right?
Yes, I think thats a bit extra of a discount but the text on B58 is clear on the matter.

Use your maximum SM to
determine the limitation value. At
intermediate SMs, find your height as
a fraction of your maximum height.
This is the fraction of your extra ST
available to you at that SM (round
down).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Plane

It would be neat to tie other leveled advantages besides ST to size, like DR or HP or Burning Attack (big dragons blow bigger fires) or Basic Move (longer steps). Does this seem like a pattern you could use elsewhere to have scaling intermediary levels with enhanced size?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
Hide

Hello Mr. Awesome,

Indeed, if you have Growth, you can buy ST at discounted value; it's on B58.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
This.
Just wondering, wouldn't a accessibility/nuisance limitation be overlapping?

B58: "(...)If your ST increases with height and is only available when you grow, you may buy it with the Size limitation (...)". I guess that covers it all (i.e. no extra discounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It would be neat to tie other leveled advantages besides ST to size, like DR or HP or Burning Attack (big dragons blow bigger fires) or Basic Move (longer steps). Does this seem like a pattern you could use elsewhere to have scaling intermediary levels with enhanced size?
That could be nice, but I would check the book of dragons first!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
ST includes HP, so that’s already fine. Building dragon breath as a Natural Weapon or ST-based Innate Attack will make it scale with ST, so having the latter scale with size already covers that. For other cases, RAW you can set certain Advantages to only work when some other Advantage is in play, for -20% IIRC. That in mind, simply applying the Size modifier from ST to certain levels of DR and the like could work (but only for characters who can increase their size, of course - Godzilla doesn’t get a discount on his DR). This should scale to relative size - an SM+2 giant only gets -10% on the DR that comes into play at SM+3.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The "normal" amount is the limitation of normal humans. Normal humans can't buy Growth.

If the PCs live in a setting where they can purchase the UB that lets them buy Powers with the "Super" Limitation or if the GM effectively gives it to all PCs for free then they can buy ST over the normal limit whether it's linked to Growth or not.