Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Ejidoth

Default Re: Is this laser cannon really that big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraydak View Post
I couldn't actually remember if it was Damage=E or D=E^(1/2), but either way, it scales wrong. Vaporizing stuff takes E=mass (chemical binding energy) or for large enough objects, which is relevant for lasers of this scale in space, E=mass^(5/3), the gravitational binding energy. It really bugs me when people use the mass^(1/3) to estimate the hp of the Earth, a mountain range or a large asteroid, for example.
This is possibly why laser damages appear to be the cube root of their energy output.

Anyway, the issue you're having, I think, is that the GURPS rules for breaking/killing something assume you just have to blow a huge hole through it, and the rules for disintegration are sort of tacked on (that is, it takes somewhere between two and ten times 'breaking' damage to disintegrate something, but this is probably less realistically true for sufficiently huge objects.) It really does work for most purposes, though.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Anthony

A SM+14 major battery has a beam output of 300 gigajoules, equivalent to 71 tons of TNT. There's some scaling issues there (based on the explosions rules, it should do 4,500d damage, not 1,500d damage), but the explosion rules don't actually scale properly at high levels, so disagreement with the explosions rules is fine (and yes, Spaceships beam weapons scale with the 1/3 power of beam energy).
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
One of the examples of why hp=mass^(1/3) doesn't really work well, especially if damage is supposed to scale with energy linearly.
Fortunately, damage is not supposed to scale with energy linearly. It scales as sqrt(energy) for impact projectiles, and cube root (energy) for explosions and energy weapons that tend to vaporize stuff, IIRC.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I couldn't actually remember if it was Damage=E or D=E^(1/2), but either way, it scales wrong. Vaporizing stuff takes E=mass (chemical binding energy) or for large enough objects, which is relevant for lasers of this scale in space, E=mass^(5/3), the gravitational binding energy. It really bugs me when people use the mass^(1/3) to estimate the hp of the Earth, a mountain range or a large asteroid, for example.
It doesn't require anything near the gravitational binding energy to render a planet, mountain range, or asteroid completely useless as a planet, mountain range or asteroid for most characters. A human corpse with 200 points of arrow damage doesn't stop being a human corpse, it isn't a person in any meaningful way. -6XHP is probably a gameable abstraction for "rendered irreparably destroyed".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Kraydak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Fortunately, damage is not supposed to scale with energy linearly. It scales as sqrt(energy) for impact projectiles, and cube root (energy) for explosions and energy weapons that tend to vaporize stuff, IIRC.
I admit to having misremembered the damage/energy relation for guns, but note that explosives to damage as sqrt(energy), given that damage scales with sqrt(explosive weight).

At the scale we are talking here (100 tons), the difference between a 1/3 power and a 1/2 power is a 1/6 power, here about a factor of 10. Not negligible at all. GURPS scaling works sorta-ok for single attacks on targets of less than a ton (1000^(1/6)=3) in mass, but go much over a ton or allow for multiple attacks and the scaling goes crazy. There is a reason GURPS battleships have absurdly low HP.

Unfortunately, GURPS damage doesn't actually effectively scale with sqrt(energy) as it scales linearly with the number of shots. 10 shots of our laser are doing 10X the damage and so apparently dumping 100X the energy of a single shot into the target.
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Polydamas

Quote:
Damage isn't mostly about vaporizing things, but about disabling and destroying them. 90% of the time, the targets of damage in GURPS are creatures or human-scale artifacts. So complaining that a straight HP vs. damage comparison doesn't perfectly model the energy required to vaporize a mass of rock so thoroughly that it will never fall back together is missing the point IMHO.

You might search these forums for a suggested HP model for warships by David Pulver circa 2005.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It doesn't require anything near the gravitational binding energy to render a planet, mountain range, or asteroid completely useless as a planet, mountain range or asteroid for most characters. A human corpse with 200 points of arrow damage doesn't stop being a human corpse, it isn't a person in any meaningful way. -6XHP is probably a gameable abstraction for "rendered irreparably destroyed".
In other words, if you take that 7.62mm Gatling gun and put 10,000 rounds into my poor, defenseless Toyota Echo the end result will just be a Toyota Echo with 10,000 (or fewer) holes in it. It's worthless as anything except scrap metal, but it's probably still roughly car-shaped.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 09-02-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: AP Style
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
explosive, spaceships, ultra tech, ultra-tech