Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default Graviton Beam damage type

Just wondering if the damage type should be similar to the implosion shells, ie cr dkb ex instead of just cr. I want to use them for artillery (that's the skill they use anyway) and as tank main guns, eg 6dx5(∞) cr ex 500miles/1,500miles. But should they also be dkb?

Graviton Cannon UT129, is about the same size as a major battery for an SM+6 spaceship, delivers 6dx5(∞) damage and
Quote:
Heavy graviton beams may envelop and crush a man-sized target...A single shot can reduce a man to a walnut-sized sphere
- that describes an implosion radius to me.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Graviton Beam damage type

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller
Just wondering if the damage type should be similar to the implosion shells, ie cr dkb ex instead of just cr. I want to use them for artillery (that's the skill they use anyway) and as tank main guns, eg 6dx5(∞) cr ex 500miles/1,500miles. But should they also be dkb?
I do not think so. The double knockback effect on the Implosion represents being pulled in to the center of the AoE. Graviton Beams only affect what the beam evelops.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post

Graviton Cannon UT129, is about the same size as a major battery for an SM+6 spaceship, delivers 6dx5(∞) damage and - that describes an implosion radius to me.
When the largest Graviton beam weapon in UT does 6Dx5 (non-explosive) and the smallest Implosion warhead does 6Dx25 cr ex dbk + 6Dx40 tox rad ex it looks to me like we're simply talking totally different effects.

The man into walnut flavor text is probably just more of UT''s hyperbole anyway. On average, a man hit by this heavy tank sized weapon could be brought back by a Chrysalis Pod (a state where B.424 calls a corpse "mostly intact") though he'll be close to the point where that's not possible without cloning.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
jacobmuller

Sorry for delayed response - brain pain:)
Quote:
OPB Not another shrubbry: Graviton Beams only affect what the beam evelops.
That's pretty much what I want to represent.
Quote:
OPB Fred Brackin: it looks to me like we're simply talking totally different effects
I agree. Massive difference in scale of damage. But what if the Graviton Cannon were from something like an SM+15 Spinal mount? If the 6dx5 cannon envelops an SM0 target, how big a target does a 6dx25 beam grab?

Okay, found it in the text [note to self - learn how to Read]. Graviton Are implosion but on a different scale, and have no knockback. They envelop an area of Dice damage inches... Not much of an artillery weapon except:
You cannot use counter battery fire against no-signature weapons firing from cover somewhere within a half million square miles of you.
And the terror effect - each trooper, alone in her suit, waiting for the Thump of near misses to pass, praying they keep missing - a single hit will turn her to paste.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-07-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: found an answer
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artillery, guns, scifi, spaceships, ultra tech, ultra-tech