Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
jhite

Default [Build Advice] AI as PC

For an upcoming cyberpunk game, one of my players wants to play an AI who will function as the party's hacker, specifically focused on subverting and controlling enemy systems. The hacking part's easy; it's clearly a specialized Possession. Arguments can also be made for specialized Clairsentience and the like, to represent dominating security cameras, etc.

The part I'm not sure about is the best way to model a sentient program as a PC. The player has agreed that, to prevent overpowering the character, the AI's starting capacities will be limited, and I've suggested he have a "primary" housing at game start...but how does that work? Even if his code is currently in the cash register of the local 7-11, the AI itself is bodiless. It's not easy to figure out how to stat up a non-corporeal electronic entity, or even how to stat up the mainframe/vending machine/computerized minivan/whatever that he's housed in at the moment.

I turn to the wisdom of the Fora for suggestions. What do you guys think?
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: [Build Advice] AI as PC

I would strongly suggest you pick up GURPS Transhuman Space: Changing Times. It features, among other things, the best (IMO) rules for building an AI that isn't hardwired to a specific body. Also, really good AI templates.

Of course, you may need to adapt if your tech assumptions are significantly different from TS, but it should be a very solid start.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
jhite

Well, my world is meant to be more Deus Ex: Human Revolution than THS, and only as far ahead as 2050, but that does sound like a good book to consider. I'll have to look it over.

For the record, I'm planning to start the campaign on the comparatively low-point side (175+75 disads, for a possible 250); are THS AI generally much more expensive than that would allow?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhite View Post
For the record, I'm planning to start the campaign on the comparatively low-point side (175+75 disads, for a possible 250); are THS AI generally much more expensive than that would allow?
The most advanced AIs or those with potent bodies would be a bit much for 175, you could do a Low Sapient AI in something like a Volkspider.

In short, you treat the highest point cost body the AI has regular access to as the AI's primary body, and the others as Ally+Puppet.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Have you looked at the cyberpunky issue of Pyramid with detailed cyberpunky hacking expansion-rules? They're neat.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
jhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
In short, you treat the highest point cost body the AI has regular access to as the AI's primary body, and the others as Ally+Puppet.
Good to know. The character isn't currently planned to start off with default access to other housings; the intent is for him to take temporary control of other systems while on missions, doing surveillance, etc.

I suppose that may change over time. In the event that the character acquires a higher-cost body later on, do you re-calibrate the whole build based on that?

The player also suggested that we should look into Spirit templates, to see if there's a way to represent how an AI functions if it's "free-floating" in the Net or such, though I haven't found any suitable comparisons yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Have you looked at the cyberpunky issue of Pyramid with detailed cyberpunky hacking expansion-rules? They're neat.
I bought the issue, but I haven't given it a detailed read yet. I plan to, though.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I suppose that may change over time. In the event that the character acquires a higher-cost body later on, do you re-calibrate the whole build based on that?
You do re-calibrate the whole build if the PC gains a higher point-value regular body. This of course leads to one of the major challenges of transhuman-ish play, where the setting suggests your PC might go up by a few hundred points due to something like that. How you deal with point totals and XP gain in that kind of situation is a matter you'll want to consider.
Quote:
The player also suggested that we should look into Spirit templates, to see if there's a way to represent how an AI functions if it's "free-floating" in the Net or such, though I haven't found any suitable comparisons yet.
Representing a cinematic "free in cyberspace" AI as an immaterial spirit with no normal senses and a lot of digital remote possession type abilities would probably be fairly appropriate.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Good to know. The character isn't currently planned to start off with default access to other housings; the intent is for him to take temporary control of other systems while on missions, doing surveillance, etc.
Most TS AIs have a "body" somewhere, even if it is just a box in a closet. Having no arms, no legs, and only a few hours before shutting down if you lose power connection gets back a lot of the points you spend on your AI capabilities. However, anyone armed with a screwdriver and the knowledge of where you live can murder you with relative ease.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

AIs typically combine two templates: one for the mind, one for the body. If it can transfer to new hardware, be ready to swap the body template. The listed TS informorph templates include some pricey AI features, but the body template can easily be a low or even rather negative value proposition, so it can fairly join a group of moderate level adventurers.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
However, anyone armed with a screwdriver and the knowledge of where you live can murder you with relative ease.
Generally this is true for most people.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, artificial intelligence, build, cyberpunk