Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist
 
jeff_wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Isn't that just a transcription error - i.e. the meme mutated? If the reader fails to understand the same thing you did, but exposure still changed something in his brain, then something got transmitted, and it's akin to the original meme, but not the same.

I suppose if it only loaded into his short term memory and then vanished without making any durable changes you could call that reading but not replication.
I believe both can happen at different levels, even within the processing of the same message. Simpler memes have complex memes upon their backs to ride 'em.
__________________
.
Reposed playtest leader.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I believe both can happen at different levels, even within the processing of the same message. Simpler memes have complex memes upon their backs to ride 'em.
The message is still memetic, and in reading it you are replicating some memes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist
 
jeff_wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The message is still memetic, and in reading it you are replicating some memes.
Not if they have duplicates among the existing memetic load.
__________________
.
Reposed playtest leader.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Not if they have duplicates among the existing memetic load.
I don't understand.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
I disagree with so much of that. So many assumptions, all stated as fact...

The fact that the government is uninvolved in the creation of videogames - or, indeed, the vast majority of entertainment - is merely one problem with that analysis. Then there's the question of whether the state shapes or is shaped by cultural influences, not to mention the huge problems with the first six words: "violence is a form of entertainment" - um, no!
I could almost go with the opposite; entertainment is a form of violence. Fun of nearly every sort requires an aggressive overcoming of obstacles and struggle for dominance over something if not someone.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #26
RevBob
 
RevBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Here on the perimeter, there are no stars
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I could almost go with the opposite; entertainment is a form of violence. Fun of nearly every sort requires an aggressive overcoming of obstacles and struggle for dominance over something if not someone.
I have a lot of fun reading books. Where's the violence there? How about playing with a dog, or playing a boardgame? Heck, sex is a lot of fun, and that's not (typically) a violent act...

Yeah, I guess it's possible to shoehorn any sort of "struggle" into the idea of "violence," but I think doing so waters down the concept of violence to the point of uselessness.
__________________
Find me at @RevBobTnJ * Goodreads

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Violence is struggle coupled with a judgment call about its usefulness.
It's like assertive vs. aggressive. The same actions are called one when done by some but the other when done by others.
We're humans and are incapable of pure objective thinking.

Video games are purely lights and pixels. Their only existence is by way of our interpretation.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #28
smurf
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
I disagree with so much of that. So many assumptions, all stated as fact...

The fact that the government is uninvolved in the creation of videogames - or, indeed, the vast majority of entertainment - is merely one problem with that analysis. Then there's the question of whether the state shapes or is shaped by cultural influences, not to mention the huge problems with the first six words: "violence is a form of entertainment" - um, no!
I argued the state, not the government.

There needs to be laws and enforcement with a form of punishment.

However, this question about memetic transmission has some problems with it.

I do not believe in memetics therefore I would consider myself to be immune to memes.

If doing research on memes how could you protect yourself from their influence. That is a form of observer affect but this case the observer is affected by the study.

How can someone study memes without themselves being 'infected'?

Is there a dememunisation facilities. The sort of can you 'unknow' what you know now?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Video games are purely lights and pixels. Their only existence is by way of our interpretation.
In TS at least they are also made of memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I do not believe in memetics therefore I would consider myself to be immune to memes.
That doesn't make any sense. Does not believing in genetics make you immune to cancer?
Quote:
If doing research on memes how could you protect yourself from their influence. That is a form of observer affect but this case the observer is affected by the study.
That is, of course, a problem with science in general and the social sciences in particular. You protect your data by using blind controls, probably. You protect yourself by using the various containment and protection technologies available from applied Memetics. In particular a VI can filter out specific memes with the right software.

Quote:
How can someone study memes without themselves being 'infected'?
Looking at raw data about memes doesn't directly transcribe those memes (it does transcribe the memes in the data about the memes, though) anymore than you can grow a fly directly from a printout of it's genome.

Quote:
Is there a dememunisation facilities. The sort of can you 'unknow' what you know now?
Toxic Memes does have rules for deprogramming.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #30
smurf
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol
Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In TS at least they are also made of memes.

That doesn't make any sense. Does not believing in genetics make you immune to cancer?
That is, of course, a problem with science in general and the social sciences in particular. You protect your data by using blind controls, probably. You protect yourself by using the various containment and protection technologies available from applied Memetics. In particular a VI can filter out specific memes with the right software.


Looking at raw data about memes doesn't directly transcribe those memes (it does transcribe the memes in the data about the memes, though) anymore than you can grow a fly directly from a printout of it's genome.

Toxic Memes does have rules for deprogramming.
First off I cannot control infection of my body and cellular mutations. Therefore this is not the same thing.

I study history, so to me wars are nasty things and some methods of fighting are not so great. However, that is what was done does not answer why they were doing it. So we keep looking and we find themes etc.

However, there is the raw data, but how it is presented would mean an observer to detect that is the person violent to begin with and are they more violent at the end. Are persons not so violent etc, become violent. Is there a progression of violence, are some games better at transmission than others. Somewhere the researchers are going to be infected by these dangerous memes. Cannot it be undone, can video game niceness produce the opposite affect?

Are memes transmitted by:

Touch (excluding physical harm)
Sight (including reading)
Sound
Smell
Taste

How do memes spread through which vectors in the best way. Once infected would the subject not not want to be infected. The have a demonstrably mememtic superiority. Moreover, some memes would be viewed in order of beneficial hierarchy?

Some studies have pointed out that management are psychos and have their classic traits. So people with the memes of video game violence may be used as better management, whilst 'mine craft memes' are better workers.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
memetics, transhuman space

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.