Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Transhuman Crossovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The main players of Infinite Worlds would be terrified by THS (assuming you messed with the timescales a little to allow them to co-exist) and would consider it far too dangerous to observe or steal from. No game.
Here's a crossover for ya. Have the TS guys in an Infinite Worlds campaign \crossed with TORG. They'd take the place of that world that fought of the invasion by the Tharkoldu cyberdemons which was never well defined.

Quote:
THS somehow coming into cross-world contact with Reign of Steel would result in nothing visibly happening for a while, and then the reign of the zoneminds suddenly ending, fairly peacefully.
<snort> Surrrrre it would.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
dataweaver

I have a "Core and Frontier" setting where the Core is a Meridian-like extrapolation of the THS setting (interstellar railways that use orbital towers to access orbiting jumpgates, linking the core worlds into what is almost a multiplanetary city), and the Frontier is a space opera setting akin to David Brin's Uplift series. In effect, it's a THS/Uplift crossover.

I enforce the distinct feels of the Core and Frontier by saying that the Core's jumpgate technology (which becomes available at TL10) disrupts superscience technologies within several AUs of each endpoint, resulting in a "Radical Hard SF" Tech Path in their vicinity; whereas the Frontier has several Emergent Supersciences that give it a broader range of options than would usually be available at TL9. The Core Worlds generally consider this to be a worthwhile tradeoff due to the economic advantages the interstellar railway provides.

The various alien races have their own Cores, most of which have merged; and the Frontier isn't so much "everything beyond the Core" as it is "everything between the Cores". (I'd say "between and beyond"; but the further out you look, the more alien Cores you find. So in practice, the Frontier is always between Cores.)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys like to cross with this setting? GURPS, were you can have Ninja Bunny Super Mage Cyborg Mentats, if you really want them, is made for crossovers. THS is powered by GURPS, so what's your crossover preference.
I have a tendency to import select elements from Eclipse Phase into Transhuman Space.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
The only "crossover" I'd consider would be to add a 2300 AD-style stutterwarp to allow FTL travel. I'd go for a "Transhuman Stars" campaign that retained THS-style fairly-hard science, except for the FTL.

You could pull adventure ideas from any number of the "harder" science fiction authors. Heck, you could use a fair number of the 2300 AD scenarios, with only minor tinkering.

One of the major themes would be, "what happens when isolation leads to the outbreak of feral memes?" If information can only travel at the speed of the fastest ship, then the transfer of information suddenly goes from hours (at most) to weeks, or even months.

How does (Trans)humanity suddenly deal with the fraying of the economic/social/cultural/information gestalt, when distances become real, again?
Did you post this on the FTL thread? Your insights are sharp and lively.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I have a tendency to import select elements from Eclipse Phase into Transhuman Space.
I'll be looking this up on Amazon.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'll be looking this up on Amazon.
EP is available for free from its authors, so you can try it out first.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
EP is available for free from its authors, so you can try it out first.
Thanks for the news!

Ancora Imparo

Tags
crossovers, transhuman space