Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
wesd_dm

Default Can a Navy SEAL be made for 200 cps?

Our group is trying a modern campaign as a change of pace and one of my players wants to be a Naval Academy grad, with a stint in the SEALS. We usually start with 200 pt characters, and we are having a great deal of difficulty making a reasonable SEAL for that. Anybody else ever done one?
I can be flexible on the pts, but only to a point.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
HANS

Default Re: Can a Navy SEAL be made for 200 cps?

> We usually start with 200 pt characters, and we are having a great deal of difficulty making a reasonable SEAL for that. Anybody else ever done one?

In GURPS SPECIAL OPS 3e, the SEAL package costs 200 points. This won't be enough in GURPS 4e. I am currently writing on a new project with SEAL involvment, and my template cost 275 points, IIRC.

Cheers

HANS
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

On the other hand, you might be able to do an ex-seal for under 200 points...

Once he dropped out of the SEAL team his skills would have probably dropped a few levels, since we wasn't constantly using them, right? Also, he could have some disadvantage aquired during his service, like an injury, or maybe a psychological problem. Plus, he wouldn't need points in military rank and suchlike. That might be enough to bring the points total down to the level you want.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
TheDS

if the other players are average joes, you're not going to get a seal with the same point level as them.

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDS
if the other players are average joes, you're not going to get a seal with the same point level as them.
200 points isn't an average joe, by any stretch of the imagination. You could make a scientific genius, a wealthy celebrity or a professional athlete with less points than that.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Eljay451

Hi Hans,

How many starting character points do you allow players?

Not counting the prerequisite, campaign mandated SEAL package.

Sincerely,
--Eljay
Eljay451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
In GURPS SPECIAL OPS 3e, the SEAL package costs 200 points. This won't be enough in GURPS 4e. I am currently writing on a new project with SEAL involvment, and my template cost 275 points, IIRC.
HANS
Yeah, given the increased costs of IQ and DX in 4e, and what levels the SEAL needs them at (I think it was 14 or 15 in SO 3e), something around 275 sounds right.

What really hurts is that the SEAL can't really take any (official) Talents to help him out, while any non-combat PCs generally can.

Brandon
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
wesd_dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
> In GURPS SPECIAL OPS 3e, the SEAL package costs 200 points. This won't be enough in GURPS 4e. I am currently writing on a new project with SEAL involvment, and my template cost 275 points, IIRC.
275 sounds pretty close to me. I was able to pare it to 250 but to be honest, I'm not very happy with it, and an extra 25 pts would likely fix the shortcomings.

Unfortunately, there isn't much skill degredation as she (yeah, she) is moving straight from the SEAL team into a covert special ops (spies and more) team. She is going to be the punch on the covert team when things head for hades. Amazingly enough, it was easier to make a James Bond clone, than it was to make a SEAL. Who'd have thought it.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
thona
Banned

Quote:
Amazingly enough, it was easier to make a James Bond clone,
I would love to see the james bond type.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
HANS

>Yeah, given the increased costs of IQ and DX in 4e, and what levels the SEAL needs them at (I think it was 14 or 15 in SO 3e),

In GURPS 4e, such high attributes are no longer common (or required). My SEAL template runs with no attribute higher than 13.

>something around 275 sounds right.

I was actually misquoting: the template is 250, the suggested campaign cost is 275.

Cheers

HANS
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character generation, navy seals