Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #111
HANS

Default Re: Can a Navy SEAL be made for 200 cps?

>Now to the sticker issue of why have the low attributes and partially compensation their skill levels with the new talent. One of the things that comes across in the book and the documentaries is that Navy SEALs are not all incredible physical and mental specimens. From Pfarrer’s book: “Most SEALs are around five-ten and 160 pounds.” They are all definitely above average, but not all are Olympic class athletes and borderline geniuses.

Yes, that is what I maintained earlier in this thread. They are not supermen.

>The template was for an average Navy SEAL. So the relatively low attributes are to reflect the above average but not necessarily extraordinary attributes, and the talent is so they have the skill levels to reflect the phenomenal things they do.

I disagree -- you are using common sense to judge the stats, which is fine theoretically. However, GURPS templates for PCs are supposed to be optimised, and all comparable templates (eg, in SPECIAL OPS Third Edition) ARE optimised. It is simply not cost-effective to use low attributes. Your Talent also doesn't cover the gaps in the template -- many skills simply are too low for the "quiet professionals". Skill levels in the 10-11 range are not good enough, even if you get a bonus under adverse conditions.

>To remain more with canon rules, and not use the new talent, one could put an additional 100pts in attributes to have DX 14 and IQ 14, for a new template cost of 295/310 (after dropping 20pts for the talent).

I put together a working Fourth Edition SEAL template for 240 points and no stat above 13. I would post it, but it is for a yet-to-be-published GURPS project, and I would prefer y'all to buy the thing once it is finished ;)

Cheers

HANS

Tags
character generation, navy seals