Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
Nosforontu

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It needs some fine tuning and will probably end up in a article of its own, but it works for now.
The base math looks good at first glance at least. Do you have guidelines yet for what is a lesser summons versus greater summons yet or do you assume all summons as greater so far?
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
The base math looks good at first glance at least. Do you have guidelines yet for what is a lesser summons versus greater summons yet or do you assume all summons as greater so far?
I've been using up to 50% in my games, but I'm probably going to go ahead and say that 75% or less is a Lesser effect. I've got a more granular chart, but I didn't want to confuse folks.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
Kalzazz

Your a spellcaster, your supposed to be casting spells. If I want to play a spellcaster and can do a decent subset of everything under the sun (which I can in RPM), its annoying to have 'Oh, that Summoning Pets thing, which GURPS Magic Magic casters can get, DnD casters can get, and so forth? You dont get it. Spend more points on an advantage on top of all the points you spent on RPM'

I just use the classic RPM copout of 'stat as advantage and stuff it into Altered Traits'

I use the 250 static point level (I love the 'static point level' phrasing! I couldn't figure out a good phrasing for it, 'campaign baseline summoning level' etc sounded bad) solely because it means DF templates are tidily pre statted

This was a huge huge discovery as it fixed the problem of spell throw weight being tied to character CP instead of spell energy

Here are a few examples that I've used enough they got recorded on various character sheets of mine

Terra Cotta Gaurd Squad
Greater Create Matter[6](),
Greater Create Mind[6](),
Lesser Control Magic[5]();
Subject Weight: 5 tons [6],
Duration: 1 week [9],
Altered Traits: 24 [24] (Ally Group, 10 25% clay golem Guards, Constantly).
Cost: 280
Clay Golem from Magic is 0pts, Gaurd template from DF Henchmen . . . . the create matter is also handling equipping them (though is going to be some brutal Armory rolls!) So before casting the spell the character likes to cast this other spell

Armoury Enlighten
Lesser Strengthen Mind[3]();
Subject Weight: 100 lbs. [2],
Duration: 30 minutes [2],
Bonus Or Penalty: Single: +4 [8] (Armoury).
Cost: 15

The character in question is a Junior Clerk of the Celestial Bureaucracy, and uses Bureaucracy VH as her sub for Thaumatology. Her charms look suspiciously like forms in triplicate

Create Wolf
Greater Create Body[6](),
Greater Create Mind[6](),
Lesser Control Magic[5]();
Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3],
Duration: 10 minutes [1],
Altered Traits: 12 [12] (Wolf Ally, 75%, Constantly).
Cost: 165
It really should be a lesser create mind, a wolf is an animal! Oops

Pegasus Stampede
Lesser Create Mind[6](),
Greater Create Body[6]();
Subject Weight: 5 tons [6],
Altered Traits: 48 [48] (Ally Group, 10 50% Pegasi),
Duration: 1 hour [3].
Cost: 207

One of my favorite Magic cards, so I had to use it! Since RPM came out with the 'Blight Land for Energy' trick it would be very appropriate to use it to fuel this spell
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #44
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Your a spellcaster, your supposed to be casting spells. If I want to play a spellcaster and can do a decent subset of everything under the sun (which I can in RPM), its annoying to have 'Oh, that Summoning Pets thing, which GURPS Magic Magic casters can get, DnD casters can get, and so forth? You dont get it. Spend more points on an advantage on top of all the points you spent on RPM'
I really think you are reading into my post too much. It's the difference between a Summonable and Conjurable Ally, one has a name, knows you and you have a relationship with it. The other is just a generic cannon fodder. I'm a firm believe if you're summoning whatever critter at least once a game session you should probably buy it as a character point-base ability. YMMV.

Quote:
I just use the classic RPM copout of 'stat as advantage and stuff it into Altered Traits'
That's one way of doing it...but I don't like it, which is why I came up with my own method.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #45
Nosforontu

Quote:
Your a spellcaster, your supposed to be casting spells. If I want to play a spellcaster and can do a decent subset of everything under the sun (which I can in RPM), its annoying to have 'Oh, that Summoning Pets thing, which GURPS Magic Magic casters can get, DnD casters can get, and so forth? You dont get it.
Oh, you still get the ability of summoning pets with RPM, even if you take Eddie the Earth Elemental as an Ally. Its just that if you want a permanent effect and are a RPM caster its not a bad idea to remind both the player and the GM that he can spend character points on that trait as well.

After all just because I can get a DX bonus with RPM does not mean that its not a bad idea for me to spend character points on DX as well as bumping it up with Rituals.

Quote:
Spend more points on an advantage on top of all the points you spent on RPM'
Well since I am likely to keep getting points in play anyways I might as well spend them to represent "truly mastering a specific ritual till it is innate". Essentially while I can always lob a fireball charm it is nice sometimes to simply also take a few d6 of innate burning attack with a small AOE to always have access to it. Because ultimately I am always going to be getting new character points each week and bumping the 9 RPM skills, purchasing Perks, new levels of Magery and IQ will only hold my interest so long before I want to spend them on "other magical powers" for a character.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #46
Kalzazz

Ah, yes, if you want 'I summon my trusty and beloved steed Bob' as opposed to 'I cast Create Mount', then Allies make sense

My character who uses the Pegasus Stampede spell (a Unicorn Knight of the Enchanted Forest) has purchased as an Ally a Winged Unicorn named Snowball, and also at times uses Create Critter type spells and Pegasus Stampede

You can guess which critters get sent to draw fire from enemy AA and which dont

However, I dont really view 'I throw summoned goons at the enemies' as very different from 'I throw fireballs at the enemies', so I wouldn't charge a necromancer or such who wanted to throw gobs of skeletons at the enemies for the skeletons as allies, even if it was his go to every session baseline problem solving technique. Having him buy the skeletons as allies when he has already bought RPM stuff seems akin to having a fighter buy an Innate Attack when hes already bought Weapon Master and ST
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
Kalzazz

Yes, there is indeed something to be said for not having Eddie the Earth Elemental go down whenever someone flings a Dispel with a greater throw weight

And also, if you want to continuously cast 'Summon Earth Elemental day in, day out' it A - is annoying, and B - is prone to sometime winding up exploding in your face when the dice say it isn't your day

So, I can definitely see why you might want to buy Allies (or Innate Attacks)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #48
Nosforontu

Quote:
Having him buy the skeletons as allies when he has already bought RPM stuff seems akin to having a fighter buy an Innate Attack when hes already bought Weapon Master and ST
Its more along the lines of a weapon master purchasing Extra Attack when he could just spend those points on boosting his primary combat skill and take rapid attacks instead, and purchasing Enhanced Parry instead of dumping those points in Broadsword instead.

Their is nothing that Extra Attack and Enhanced Parry can't really do (except be applied to all combat skills), that someone with Weapon master and high skill levels can't do, but that does not mean that a well rounded weapon master looking into purchasing a few other advantages to go along with his schtict isn't going to look into advantages like that anyways.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #49
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Well since I am likely to keep getting points in play anyways I might as well spend them to represent "truly mastering a specific ritual till it is innate". Essentially while I can always lob a fireball charm it is nice sometimes to simply also take a few d6 of innate burning attack with a small AOE to always have access to it. Because ultimately I am always going to be getting new character points each week and bumping the 9 RPM skills, purchasing Perks, new levels of Magery and IQ will only hold my interest so long before I want to spend them on "other magical powers" for a character.
Quote:
Its more along the lines of a weapon master purchasing Extra Attack when he could just spend those points on boosting his primary combat skill and take rapid attacks instead, and purchasing Enhanced Parry instead of dumping those points in Broadsword instead.

Their is nothing that Extra Attack and Enhanced Parry can't really do (except be applied to all combat skills), that someone with Weapon master and high skill levels can't do, but that does not mean that a well rounded weapon master looking into purchasing a few other advantages to go along with his schtict isn't going to look into advantages like that anyways.
Just so. I happen to see a Necromancer having this as part of his core ability - maybe it's the influence of Diablo II on my brain.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
Kalzazz

The 'Buy the spells with CP' instead of 'Find the Grimoires and level them up' was among other reasons why I couldn't stand Diablo II

Fire Emblem Gaiden is my favorite example of the 'death by drowning in mooks' spell

Tags
blogs