Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Healing limitation

Salutations!

I would like to create a limitation for the Healing advantage that makes it somewhat less instantaneous, but still useful in combat, so Immediate Preparation Required (1 minute) is out. I thought about Takes Extra Time 2, but this means a constant duration of 4 concentrate maneuvers, regardless of how many HP are to be healed. Also, interruption means that nothing at all happens.

What I'd like is this: Healing wounds happens at 2 HP per concentrate maneuver, at the usual cost of 1 FP per 2 HP. Curing disease takes a number of concentrate maneuvers equal to the disease's difficulty modifier and only takes effect at the end, if the Healing is uninterrupted.

How much is such a limitation worth?

I tried to model it as an Affliction (Affliction 1 (Regeneration, Very Fast, +1000%; Malediction 1, +50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Costs Fatigue (1FP/sec), -10%; Magic, -10%) [110]) but that makes it a lot more expensive (especially since this would only heal 1HP per FP, although it does drop the IQ roll requirement) than even the standard Healing advantage, which I'm trying to limit, not enhance.

Side question: How would Regeneration affect recovery from disease? Should this be a separate thread?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Healing limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

I would like to create a limitation for the Healing advantage that makes it somewhat less instantaneous, but still useful in combat, so Immediate Preparation Required (1 minute) is out. I thought about Takes Extra Time 2, but this means a constant duration of 4 concentrate maneuvers, regardless of how many HP are to be healed. Also, interruption means that nothing at all happens.

What I'd like is this: Healing wounds happens at 2 HP per concentrate maneuver, at the usual cost of 1 FP per 2 HP. Curing disease takes a number of concentrate maneuvers equal to the disease's difficulty modifier and only takes effect at the end, if the Healing is uninterrupted.

How much is such a limitation worth?
In my campaign that would be an advantage because I've modified healing such that healing on occurs at one point per 30 seconds, for the normal FP cost. I don't like have combat level healing. For one thing, it goes against most of the fantasy literature and folk stories I've read. But that isn't important, let's look at your limitation.

I wouldn't make it more than -20%. You're not making it so slow that it is useless in combat, but it limits you a little, but less than "only at night" or other such limitations.

Quote:
Side question: How would Regeneration affect recovery from disease? Should this be a separate thread?
I would suggest starting a new thread for that. However, I would think regneration could only heal damage caused by a disease rather than the disease itself. It might allow you to survive much longer with a disease and might mask the symptoms until the disease killed you.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
T.K.

Default Re: Healing limitation

My take on this would be:

Healing (Only at Minimum Power -30%; Cosmic: Remove -3 penalties accruement for subsequent rolls +50%) [36]

This would make it so that he can only use the ability at 1FP to heal 2HP per each Concentrate Maneuver and each and every turn he so chooses to spend a Concentrate activating the ability he can do so, without the cumulative -3 penalties at the same target so he can keep channeling for as long as he wants.

Regeneration only heals HP. Doesn't do anything to diseases.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote