Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #31
VariousRen

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Layering Armour

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've decided to go with allowing a single layer as clothing, the second looking obviously like armour, and any further giving -1, -2, ect to DX. If armour is tailored to look like heavy clothing (which gives 1.5x DR, weight, ect) then it counts as the first two layers.

All of this only applies to purpose tailored armour, pulling on someone else'sdis-guarded tacsuit will net you a -1 as normal.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #32
Lord Azagthoth

One thing which is always overlooked is a reaction penalty when wearing armor when it is not logical to wear it. Not penalizing wearing armor in any way results in wearing it all the time.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #33
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
One thing which is always overlooked is a reaction penalty when wearing armor when it is not logical to wear it. Not penalizing wearing armor in any way results in wearing it all the time.
This is a good point (and I do the same).

However if the armour is the kind of Ultra tech 'looks and wears like clothing' kind of stuff. It hard to then justify the reaction penalty. I.e if it's light and thin enough to not warrant layer pens then it may well be light and thin enough to not register as armour to the observer.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #34
Culture20

Reaction totally depends on the type of armor. If I wear a bomb squad body suit at a Mc Donalds, I'll get nervous employees and customers. If I wear mail and carry a sheathed sword and shield into a Mc Donalds (I have), I get favorable responses from most people, and a few people who probably consider me an idiot but humor me. The mail doesn't stand out as "modern danger" even though it's wildly out of place.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #35
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If I wear mail and carry a sheathed sword and shield into a Mc Donalds (I have), I get favorable responses from most people, and a few people who probably consider me an idiot but humor me. The mail doesn't stand out as "modern danger" even though it's wildly out of place.
I once wore plate (helm and everything*) into a Dunkin Donuts first thing in the morning. The employees conceded that even Knights from a joust needed a pick-me up every now and then. No one was scared or spooked, but I got some good natured laughs.

* I was testing the fit and comfort, so going for an early ride in a car, getting out, maneuver, etc was a decent test of it. Obviously had to remove the helm to eat a cruller and drink coffee, but you know, all good.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #36
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
This is a good point (and I do the same).

However if the armour is the kind of Ultra tech 'looks and wears like clothing' kind of stuff. It hard to then justify the reaction penalty. I.e if it's light and thin enough to not warrant layer pens then it may well be light and thin enough to not register as armour to the observer.
I've a guy in a cyberpunk campaign that wanted a "Armored Duster" coat. Using the Pyramid articles on armor, I designed one that was a MilTech Duster, that was 29/7 DR and weighed in at 9.1 lbs. The player was appreciative of it and was soooooo looking forward to its use in game play.

I guess the adage "If you're not paranoid yet, I'm not doing my job" for cyberpunk campaigns must have hit him about the time I said "Sure, it only takes 3 seconds to don the coat, 2 if you're willing to be quick about it and not zip it etc. But if it goes on in three, it can come off in three as well. At $11,000 retail value, said armor might sell for as little as 10% or as much as 25% at a pawn shop etc. Punk might look at you with an eye towards figuring out if you're easy to roll or not."

Any armoring material that can look like ordinary clothing is likely going to be mistaken for clothing, especially if people use ordinary cloth or synthetic cloth material instead of armoring material for what LOOKS like the Armored Duster Look. How many times will a punk get burned by ordinary clothing that the real deal is just an unpleasant surprise?

<shrug>

Then there are the "Designer Label" suits of armor. Same DR, but just look nicer. *cough* What player character is going to do that I wonder?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #37
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Then there are the "Designer Label" suits of armor. Same DR, but just look nicer. *cough* What player character is going to do that I wonder?
Reaction bonuses can be important! I've been working on a space knight character for Mailanka's Psi-Wars, and he's dropped a pretty penny on getting a set of armor that's both functional and looks nice. For those occasions where stomping around in full armor isn't appropriate, the under layer doubles as a stylish but protective uniform.

Even if he didn't get the bonus, he'd still pay for style because well, that's the kind of character he is.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #38
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
Reaction bonuses can be important! I've been working on a space knight character for Mailanka's Psi-Wars, and he's dropped a pretty penny on getting a set of armor that's both functional and looks nice. For those occasions where stomping around in full armor isn't appropriate, the under layer doubles as a stylish but protective uniform.

Even if he didn't get the bonus, he'd still pay for style because well, that's the kind of character he is.
Great. You got a chuckle out of me (those are rare these days letmetellyou). I just imagined decking up an NPC whose demands for Styling, and functionality would make it such that his guns, armor, and personal gear would cost more than most of the working class make in a year. After a few shootouts and the like, I can imagine the NPC turning to the player character...

"Oh drat, its scuffed and has burn marks. It will never do. Be a good chap and pick up a new set for me? Oh, and dispose of this before you do please? Incinerator is good - don't want the riff-raff to get their grubby paws on it if you know what I mean."

If the player disposes of it first as instructed, and picks up the new set - finding out that he just disposed of a set of armor worth over $392,000 for the styling alone, plus another $90,000 in accessories - just might be worth the gulp and a little fear of the NPC. Not because the NPC per se is that brutal or menacing, but because:

1) he's still alive
2) he has that level of cash to play with
3) he's that dismissive of the costs involved

Might make the player worry about what league he's playing in.

Expect a private email from me on this shortly. Gonna have to create a new NPC named Nemoricus the Bold - a British Street Solo operating in Night City for a brief moment or ten.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #39
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I've a guy in a cyberpunk campaign that wanted a "Armored Duster" coat. Using the Pyramid articles on armor, I designed one that was a MilTech Duster, that was 29/7 DR and weighed in at 9.1 lbs. The player was appreciative of it and was soooooo looking forward to its use in game play.

I guess the adage "If you're not paranoid yet, I'm not doing my job" for cyberpunk campaigns must have hit him about the time I said "Sure, it only takes 3 seconds to don the coat, 2 if you're willing to be quick about it and not zip it etc. But if it goes on in three, it can come off in three as well. At $11,000 retail value, said armor might sell for as little as 10% or as much as 25% at a pawn shop etc. Punk might look at you with an eye towards figuring out if you're easy to roll or not."

Any armoring material that can look like ordinary clothing is likely going to be mistaken for clothing, especially if people use ordinary cloth or synthetic cloth material instead of armoring material for what LOOKS like the Armored Duster Look. How many times will a punk get burned by ordinary clothing that the real deal is just an unpleasant surprise?

<shrug>

Hah nice, v.cyberpunk
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #40
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Yeah, and that's something I intend to keep a very close eye on in the game. Our first session had the heavily armed ex-military bodyguard of the group forced to stay behind at a security checkpoint, just because his arms and armours were extreme compared to what most people use. Nothing ended up happening, but something went wrong he would have been a long way from the rest of the group. If he had been dressing more casually (just a single layer of armour under clothing, a pistol rather than a rifle, ect) he could been by their side the whole time.

Another thing I've been stressing is the legality class of different weapons and armour. In Vilani space even normal civilian weapons like pistols and hunting rifles (LC 3) are carefully controlled and require permits (which are a pain to get, and may be difficult if the PC's turn to a life of crime). In Terran space you can get police level equipment (LC 2) with a permit, and civilian gear is available without very many restrictions at all. The same goes for armour, with the more advanced armours being limited to either the police (Tac-suits) or active military (Combat hardsuits).

It's worked well so far, with most players limiting themselves to a few choice weapons they have registered on a bunch of different planets. Pistols and vibro-knives have been popular choices, since they can carry them most places in Terran space and can be registered in Villani space if they want to. The ex-military bodyguard has a blanket permit in Terran space (represented by a level of security clearance), and the free access to police gear makes him seriously dangerous compared to everyone else.

Tags
armor, layering, ultra tech