Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1501
tshiggins

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I meant to put a smiley face after my first comment. Without it, it comes off as a bit more sarcastic than I intended.
'Salright. I try to keep in mind that written text sometimes looks more terse or critical than intended, if for no other reason than that it helps keep me out of trouble.

:) <-- See! Smiley!
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #1502
William

Radioactive boars around Fukushima are hindering repopulation plans.

As if regular boars weren't ornery enough, now we have to deal with boars with superpowers.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #1503
Flyndaran
Untagged

Radioactive, living in abandoned houses, and aggressive towards humans.
Who put orcs in my nuclear disaster zone?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #1504
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

As if regular boars weren't ornery enough, now we have to deal with boars with superpowers.
I do wish the press wouldn't throw around words like radioactive or toxic so enthusiastically about these zones and animals. I've always rather liked the comparison that if we treated other carcinogens the same way as radioisotopes, a house in which somebody had smoked two cigarettes would need to be evacuated, and given the persistence of particulates, one in which somebody had smoked an entire pack could be dangerously uninhabitable for as much as twenty years.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #1505
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would think the truth about those clickbait stories is more that the danger of eating those boars is on par with mercury in tuna, bad in significant quantities or for fetuses/infants.
Modern people have, if anything gotten, worse at judging risks. It's either safe in any quantity or kill you in minutes. Any attempt at explanation is seen as deception. You're either hiding the "real" dangers for "them", or a fool panicking over completely safe things.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #1506
Anders

Do not put live fish up your butt.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #1507
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That warning falls into the category of 'things that if you have to be warned not to do them, the warning is probably futile' category. :lol:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #1508
Flyndaran
Untagged

Just a few days ago, I went back into my bedroom after a shower to see a spill on the floor near my computer. Before getting dressed, I bent down to quickly clean it up. I started to lose my balance coming within an inch of fall-sitting directly onto a large bottle of raspberry syrup.
"Stop looking at me like that, doctor. It really was a once in a lifetime accident." I had to spend a good minute laughing at my near tragedy.

If that doesn't count as real life weirdness, then nothing does.

(I keep the sugar free syrup bottle near my computer to spice up knock off sodas.)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1509
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
(I keep the sugar free syrup bottle near my computer to spice up knock off sodas.)
I make my own from concentrate. Diluting 1.5 fl oz of concentrate into 8 cups of water to make syrup (with 1.25 tbsp of 25% sucralose) and then diluting that at 1 part in 5 or 6 of carbonated water to make soda... well, it sure teaches you what you're getting when you buy soda.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #1510
Bruno

Tourist scorns native ceremony to appease the jungle goddess, goes mad and runs off into the jungle for 9 days, kept alive by monkeys. Is recovered after a team of dedicated shamen buy his soul back from the jungle goddess.

I want to hear how much they finally had to sacrifice to get him back.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox