Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
chronus

Default Modular Ability: Spirit Trapping

I apologize in advance, I have spent some time perusing the forums and internet for the answer to this question but am having difficulty finding an answer.

I am looking to make a shaman with the modular ability spirit trapping for the cost of 6+4/point for a total of 46 points (to hold a spirit with ten points of abilities). I would be looking to the spirit to cast spells for me. How does this work? Once I've captured the spirit with an appropriate ability do I simply command the spirit and something happens? Do I need to have a corresponding skill? If its a spell do I need to take the spirits FP or skill level with a spell into account?

Sorry - this is a new concept for me and I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around it.

Last edited by chronus; 02-02-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: bad math
chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Modular Ability: Spirit Trapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronus View Post
I am looking to make a shaman with the modular ability spirit trapping for the cost of 6+4/point for a total of 46 points (to hold a spirit with ten points of abilities). I would be looking to the spirit to cast spells for me. How does this work? Once I've captured the spirit with an appropriate ability do I simply command the spirit and something happens? Do I need to have a corresponding skill? If its a spell do I need to take the spirits FP or skill level with a spell into account?
The spirit is a special effect here. This works just like any other kind of modular abilities. You get 10 points worth of abilities granted to you, which you can use them just like you have always had them. What the spirit's abilities actually are in addition to being able to grant you those points are irrelevant, you didn't pay for those, so you don't get access to them. It may be quite powerful, this model is sometimes used for stuff granted by actual gods, but it won't do anything other than grant you those 10 points worth of powers.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
chronus

I see. So I don't think I missed anything, but how do you calculate the level of a spell? It doesn't specifically say anything such as to use prerequisite count or anything. Is each spell counted as an ability point?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronus View Post
I see. So I don't think I missed anything, but how do you calculate the level of a spell? It doesn't specifically say anything such as to use prerequisite count or anything. Is each spell counted as an ability point?
Exactly like you would if you bought the spell without the modular ability. So if it uses up 1 point of the module, your skill with it is the same as it would be if you spent one point on it otherwise (typically your IQ + your Magery -2). If it uses up 2 points IQ+Magery -1, 4 points IQ+Magery....

Prerequistes work like they do for any other spell - so if you are using one of the versions requiring them, and you don't know them (and the spirit doesn't grant them or the perk to ignore them for this particular spell) you can't cast the spell even though it is loaded into the module.

Of course if you are using some variant where prerequisite *counts* matter for anything (they don't in the standard rules), then it works like however spells do in whichever variant you are using.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
chronus

MANY Thanks for your help!