Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
InexplicableVic

Default Re: A list of all the DF monsters in Pyramid and elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
This is a great piece of work! Thank you, Rasputin, for putting in the data work and Bruno for adding the sortable feature. I've used it many times in the past few days.
I’d like to second that. Thanks again.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #32
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The CER rating? I have a large number of CERs already calculated, I'd love if more were crowdsourced. This is more DF than DFRPG, though.
Revisiting this … I have a bunch calculated now:
  • Most Pyramid monsters, though I may have a couple missing.
  • Those monsters in regular Dungeon Fantasy supplements that have only a few monsters.
  • All four of the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters series, though I’ve only done the dragon breath weapons that appeared in Tomb of the Dragon King.
  • Both Mirror of the Fire Demon and Tomb of the Dragon King. I’ll have Pagoda of Worlds done tonight.

Hall of Judgment will take a bit because it’s a lot of monsters, but they’re mostly straightforward. The ones that are exotic familiars in Allies are likewise, though not as many. Same story with Campaigns.

Last and worst will be Summoners. I’m trying to get the lenses (though ignoring leaders since you generally don’t use those separately), and there’s loads here. The worst is the Standard Demon. The intent with it is to either use a single 50-point lens (no problem) or two 25-point lenses (there are eight, which means 56 possible combinations). I don’t know what I’m going to do here. It’s pretty easy to figure how much each lens adds to CER, however.

An area for expansion is Icky Goo. Emily’s list (heh) doesn’t bother with some of the pick-two-options versions, but some of those are not that many options when you get down to it.

I’ll want someone to proof these. I’m not sure how to handle damage from monsters that worry after an attack. I’ve been treating those as cyclical, which leads to really high values.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #33
Bruno

For Dungeons on Automatic we have longer-term plans of having a semi-automatic "template" or "lens" system, which would hopefully handle combinatorial problems like the goos and demons - stat up the base, try to come up with CER modifiers for the options, and then present the user with "You face a Frawazzle Demon With Options Q and Z, CER 99 (GURPS Frawazzle, page XX)" (or whatever). At this time I would still be leaving it up to the GM to go get out GURPS Frawazzle and put the stats together, but I don't feel bad about that as I expect them to look up every monsters statistics.

"Leader type" is a lens presented with critters, like Foul Bats, and while you shouldn't see an encounter of Foul Bat Leaders*, they contribute to the CER of the encounter, so I'll be trying to deal with that at some point.

* I think right now the generator may actually populate a room with Foul Bat Leaders, but since it's still at the slightly cracked random-random stage I'm not sweating it. It's an encounter, whatevers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #34
Rasputin

Quote:
For Dungeons on Automatic we have longer-term plans of having a semi-automatic "template" or "lens" system, which would hopefully handle combinatorial problems like the goos and demons - stat up the base, try to come up with CER modifiers for the options, and then present the user with "You face a Frawazzle Demon With Options Q and Z, CER 99 (GURPS Frawazzle, page XX)" (or whatever). At this time I would still be leaving it up to the GM to go get out GURPS Frawazzle and put the stats together, but I don't feel bad about that as I expect them to look up every monsters statistics.
I did add several of the non-leader lenses, however. For example, I have Vermiform Archer Medusas and Vermiform Scout Medusas. (Why aren't these Lamias, anyways? I keep imagining Peter Gabriel singing, "Oh, Vermiform Archer Medusa, your flesh that remains I shall take as my food.") I did this as part of adding some of the variants that already had calculations, like the different kinds of as-Sharaks.

So I'll leave the Standard Demon as one entry, based on this. As I think Demons of Old work better as random foes, I'm not bothered.

For racial templates, I still have the CERs blank. (I added height SM and hex layout, however.) I keep wanting a generic mook template for when you find a group of deep ones or dwarves, akin to the ones that turned the goblin-kin into monsters in the boxed set.

My GURPS blog.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #35
Bruno

In my copious spare time, another thing I want to be able to do is to host custom monsters etc, so we can do things like that: "Here's the statblock for a standard knighty-adventurer NPC. This one in particular is a (rolls dice) elf, please adjust statistics as appropriate."

But just to be able to host/deliver custom monster statblocks in general is a thing I want to be able to do.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:04 AM   #36
Dalin

Quote:
So I knocked this up: https://treasuregenerator.azurewebsi.../treasure.html

This is Rasputin's data, you can now sort it, filter it, and it's paged. Theoretically it should be somewhat friendly to cellphones but honestly I'm dubious.
Does anyone know what happened to this? It has been my go-to index for monsters ever since Bruno posted it here. This morning I'm getting an error ("Error 403 - This web app is stopped"). Not sure if it is a permanent or temporary thing.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
Bruno

Quote:
Does anyone know what happened to this? It has been my go-to index for monsters ever since Bruno posted it here. This morning I'm getting an error ("Error 403 - This web app is stopped"). Not sure if it is a permanent or temporary thing.
This is possibly permanent - at least at that address. My free trial period ran out and I got whacked with a big bill, so I had to shut it down. I'm looking at good alternatives.

EDIT: For the monster list, I don't need nearly the kind of feature set as I do for another project I was hosting on there - which makes the hosting there very excessive for that page indeed. I'm hoping the outage will be shorter rather than longer?

Last edited by Bruno; 03-10-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
Dalin

Quote:
This is possibly permanent - at least at that address. My free trial period ran out and I got whacked with a big bill, so I had to shut it down. I'm looking at good alternatives.
Ah, this makes sense.

Quote:
EDIT: For the monster list, I don't need nearly the kind of feature set as I do for another project I was hosting on there - which makes the hosting there very excessive for that page indeed. I'm hoping the outage will be shorter rather than longer?
Does it need more than a shared Google Sheet with filtering options?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #39
Eidoloclast

Any word on getting this hosted again somewhere? Also, has anyone tried to make terrain-based random encounter tables like the AD&D ones? Those would be extremely useful for me.
Eidoloclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #40
Rasputin

Quote:
Does it need more than a shared Google Sheet with filtering options?
You're welcome.

My GURPS blog.

Tags
dfrpg, monsters, pages, threads