Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #111
HunterNBama
Banned

Default Re: Member House Rules

I have to agree with MM. The games are pretty well balanced as they are. It's very Munchkinly to abuse your power. It's also very Munchkinly to throw that power abuser to the wolves in as many bite-sized pieces as possible. The thief has never been an issue in any of our games. However that blasted cleric while in the undead dungeon was a huge over powered monster turning them all undead and blowing the bonuses to kill them. We eventually had to put necrophobia on him to stop him.
HunterNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #112
Path

We've set aside any number of cards as simply being out of theme- being an Exalted fanatic, I've made an enormous Chosen Munchkin deck. Aside from that, the only houserule we've made so far is that you can Cheat to play Weapon, Armor, Footgear, and Headgear modifiers on any of those items, after our first great bumble with someone's Reinforced Boomdagger of their Grandfather.
Path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #113
raynforce

At the moment, we only play with three simple house rules.

1: Kneepads of Allure is a one time use item.

2: Any effects that drops your level below 1 kills you. (So theft when you are level 1 is very risky for example)

3: Items that are not in the munchkin card deck have no effect on the game (munchkin bookmarks, shirts, coins etc...)
raynforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #114
WeXaztor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynforce View Post
At the moment, we only play with three simple house rules.

1: Kneepads of Allure is a one time use item.

2: Any effects that drops your level below 1 kills you. (So theft when you are level 1 is very risky for example)

3: Items that are not in the munchkin card deck have no effect on the game (munchkin bookmarks, shirts, coins etc...)

the second one could be fun, though the third one i think is just bad since those items are bought to get yourself an advantage in the game as well as making it fun

But that's just what i think
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #115
Mizznox

The only real house rule we have is that you have to have at least 3 cards in your hand to use the Wizard's Charm power.
Mizznox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #116
Smolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizznox View Post
The only real house rule we have is that you have to have at least 3 cards in your hand to use the Wizard's Charm power.
We're playing a two-player game a lot, so I like the above. Wizard gets pretty unstoppable without more people around to gang up on him.

I'm also thinking of allowing the Warrior a maximum +5 (or +6 for Dwarven Warriors) if he's got enough cards in hand.
Smolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #117
Robby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolin View Post
We're playing a two-player game a lot, so I like the above. Wizard gets pretty unstoppable without more people around to gang up on him.

I'm also thinking of allowing the Warrior a maximum +5 (or +6 for Dwarven Warriors) if he's got enough cards in hand.
What about dwarven warriors with a portable hole?
What about epic dwarven warriors?

Owned:
Super (exp. 2)
Bites (exp. 2)
Fu (No exp.)

Played:
Fantasy (Exp. 1-7) (Epic)
Super (exp. 2) (Epic)
Munchkin Quest (exp. 2)

Last edited by Robby; 07-21-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #118
Ash Plissken

I have come up with a few card-specific crossover rules, let's see how many of them I can remember...

If you are wearing Spudded Leather Armor, the Fries will not fight you, and cannot be added to your combat.

(under consideration) No player may have both the Pirate and Ninja classes at the same time, and a Pirate may not help a Ninja in combat, or vice versa.
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #119
Clementx

My table is testing out giving humans an inherent ability, similar to the quick-start trading a GUAL for class/race cards in the discards. This would replace that version.

Favored Class: Whenever a class card is discarded, a human can discard a card from his hand to claim and immediately become it. If a Super/Ultra munchkin is discarded, he can claim it if he can immediately provide enough class cards for it. If multiple humans attempt to snag the same class, the highest roller among them gets the card, and the rest keep their discards.
Clementx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #120
ChinchillaZilla

But... But... I love the Kneepads of Allure. LOL We've never even thought about adding any 'rules' to them. Of course, our 'original' Munchkin has all of the cards in play and they're not even seen every game... but when they are, Annihilate is nice to have. :-)

We double everything if we play Epic, monsters, enhancers, one shot items all are doubled. We've found that once you hit epic, it's a matter of who gets to 20 first, not so much via game play. (I hope you kwim here)

We really enjoy all of the classes and through the years have learned how to adapt to the thief stealing cards at level 1, etc.

We sometimes adapt the 'one shot' rule where you can play the cards from your hand to: You can only play one shot items from the table (in play) and you can have only 5 slots for them.

We use those florist rocks (marbles?) from Michael's to keep track of levels. We have 22 stones (one set of each color) in plastic baggies and it's always fun when an argument ensues over the 'favorite' colors. "But I'm always yellow!" "I don't want to be ketchup color!" :-D

We really enjoy dungeons too, we always discard and redraw if we're given a 'portal' card during our first draw. The first dungeon turned over is what we start with regardless if anyone could have changed it. Don't remember if that's an actual rule or one we made up.

In fact, I know there are rules we have in place that aren't in the rules that we've just kept using and probably would be surprised if we actually read the rules now, finding out that 'this rule' isn't actually a rule in print. :-)
ChinchillaZilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice