Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Hide

Default Selective Illumination Perk

I have the "Illumination perk", I want this advantage to provide me and those I choose the benefits from Illumination. So the "light" reminds invisible to my enemies.

What modifiers should I employ?

At first I thought of "selective", but I believe this lets me choose places, not people.

What do you think?

Thank you,
- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Selective Illumination Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I have the "Illumination perk", I want this advantage to provide me and those I choose the benefits from Illumination. So the "light" reminds invisible to my enemies.

At first I thought of "selective", but I believe this lets me choose places, not people.

What do you think?
I think that's way too useful to be a mere perk. In effect, you're enabling your friends to see while conditions remain totally dark. I might say that what you have is an area effect affliction with Dark Vision, which would cost just a huge amount of points.

I suppose maybe you could afflict them all with Infravision, and have the perk of radiating NIR, but then an enemy with suitable gear could see your infrared light, too. Even with Dark Vision that might happen, but it's a lot less likely.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that's way too useful to be a mere perk.
Agreed. For reference Hide, the Perk is basically the Accessory perk reskinned.

Your character is a light source.

The best you could do is maybe get your GM to agree that the light isn't in the visible spectrum (like NIR, Ultraviolet, or even as "Mage Light") and then take the Charm Perk and a spell to cast the appropriate vision spell on your friends.

If he agrees, I recommend it be Mage Light and the Mage Sight spell, as Magery is not an everyday occurrence on monsters. Just spellcaasters.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
If he agrees, I recommend it be Mage Light and the Mage Sight spell, as Magery is not an everyday occurrence on monsters. Just spellcaasters.
I'd want to read the spell description closely before I'd agree that that could be a perk.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I'd want to read the spell description closely before I'd agree that that could be a perk.
Granted. Any sane GM would. But the Perk does what is advertised, it stands in for prereqs.

Hmmm. It still requires the character have Magery 0 or be in a High Mana area to cast the spell. So there is that.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Even leaving out your friends, it effectively gives *you* Dark Vision.
I don't see any way this can be considered anything remotely close to a perk.

I might consider a spell you can cast on a light source (call it Selective Light, 2 to cast, 1 to maintain, individuals to be able to see the light must be physically or symbolically present at the casting to be opted in, Prerequisites: Darkness, Colors), several Light spells are worded to do pretty illogical things to vision, but it's not a perk level effect.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Donny Brook

Quote:
I have the "Illumination perk"...

By RAW, modifiers are not allowed on Perks.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Agreed. For reference Hide, the Perk is basically the Accessory perk reskinned.
Your character is a light source.
Alright, this makes it easy to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Even leaving out your friends, it effectively gives *you* Dark Vision. I don't see any way this can be considered anything remotely close to a perk.
Well, if we take this as evileeyore said, I think it is sort of fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
By RAW, modifiers are not allowed on Perks.
You are right, I was thinking about "available options". Shall consider it in the future.

Quote:
I think that's way too useful to be a mere perk. In effect, you're enabling your friends to see while conditions remain totally dark. I might say that what you have is an area effect affliction with Dark Vision, which would cost just a huge amount of points.

I suppose maybe you could afflict them all with Infravision, and have the perk of radiating NIR, but then an enemy with suitable gear could see your infrared light, too. Even with Dark Vision that might happen, but it's a lot less likely.
I will try something like this, shall post it soon; I will appreciate your impressions.

Thank you everybody!
- Hide
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Varyon

This is a bit complicated, but I feel a combination of Illumination and a modified Obscure may work here.

Obscure would need Defensive, Stealthy, and Selective Effect, for +170%. Defensive means you and those within the area are unaffected by the effect, Stealthy means there isn't a visible cloud or similar when the ability is in use, and Selective Effect lets you insure only allies benefit from Defensive (optionally, this may be extended to allow allies outside of the area to be unaffected by the Obscure). Only working on the light you produce is a pretty significant Limitation, possibly enough for -80%, but let's go with -70% to make the math easy. Always On may be an option, although I'm not certain that's a legitimate Limitation with the above build; if it is, that's another -50%. That means the Obscure is [4]/level ([3]/level with Always On), and you simply need to buy enough levels to reduce the illumination to nothing.

As for "reduce the illumination to nothing," that depends on how you have light sources function and how dark you need to let things return to. The Basic Set rules simply have them reduce darkness penalties to -3 within a set area (either a cone or radius), so if you want this to be able to keep things pitch black (-10, characters are blind without their own light source) you need 7 levels, for [28] ([21] with Always On). The rules from Powers: Enhanced Senses are more complex, but 7 levels will probably still work out alright if you're ok with foes maintaining a bit of sight. To insure they can never see using your personal light source, you have to go with 10 levels (as this automatically drops things to "cannot see"). Otherwise, a very close foe will be able to see a little bit. If you're fine with things just staying really dark, but not all the way down to -10, 5 levels should work well for you, for only [20] (or [15]). Note this is the cost for Obscure - you still need the [1] for the Illumination Perk.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
Hide

Alright, I was thinking on your suggestion and arrived to this:

Allies are granted infravision if they are within an 8 yard radius from the source, so:

Infravision
Affects Others +50%, Selective +20%, Area Effect 3, +50% [32]

With bare light (ultra-low light), we should be able to see perfectly, take this example.

Supposing there is total darkness, my allies and I should be capable of seeing clearly within a 32 yard radius. For the 32yd radius vision under total darkness, only the team should be capable of seeing the light, so:

Obscure Infravision 10
Defensive 50%, Stealthy +100%, Selective +20%, Area Effect 5 +250% [104]

Now I need a light source, Illumination only grants 2yd.
What can I do?

- Hide