Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
PWCroft

Default Roles, Character Points, Etc.

When a PC (celestial) has their vessel blatantly murdered with mundane witnesses, he/she loses the associated Role. Does the PC typically have to pay for a new vessel (and Role), or is this replacement usually included in the original cost? Or is this a GM preference depending on the circumstances? How do most of you GMs handle it?
PWCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Roles, Character Points, Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCroft View Post
When a PC (celestial) has their vessel blatantly murdered with mundane witnesses, he/she loses the associated Role. Does the PC typically have to pay for a new vessel (and Role), or is this replacement usually included in the original cost? Or is this a GM preference depending on the circumstances? How do most of you GMs handle it?
In practice, this tends to be "It depends." The rules as written are fairly strict, if I recall (I'm away from my books), but as always, the approach of different GMs will vary.

I actually had this come up recently, with a Malakite who suicided to keep from being arrested by police (which, she reasoned, would have made the Role useless anyway). My approach to the situation is:

1) A Role represents a lot of time, effort and supernatural resources to establish. If you've lost one, rebuilding it is not going to be fast or easy. I allow a PC to take a Role/1 to represent the basic forged documents and other detritus that helps establish an identity; anything beyond that has to be earned through roleplaying. As you make more friends and take more actions to make the Role "real," you can spend more points on it.

2) A Vessel has to be paid for, either by saved CPs or in lieu of the next CP award until it's paid off.

3) Malakim may be something of an exception to No. 2, since they're expected to lose their Vessels for the greater glory of Heaven if necessary. For them, the cost of the next Vessel may be waived or discounted IF the Virtue's actions met with its Superior's approval. (In our own game, Jean actually wasn't overly happy with his Servitor's decision; the Malakite got a slight price break, but still had to pay for most of the Vessel out of saved CP.)

4) Another possible waiver for Malakim would be if you decide that Superiors keep a "Vessel storage locker" for newly-slain Virtues, such as we discussed in another thread. In such a case, I would say there is no cost for the Vessel, but also no choice as to its nature; you take what's available off the rack. A "custom job" would still require points as above.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roles, vessels