Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default New Power Talent: Doll Control

I just wanted to share a new power talent that I developed called Doll Control. I just took the Animal Control Talent and changed it so that it would apply to dolls instead of natural animals, as well as allowing for temporary animation of dolls through telekinesis. The definition of dolls is sufficiently broad so that it includes some forms of golems, vampires, zombies, etc, so it can serve as a surprising useful power under limited circumstances. Please tell me what you think.

Doll Control
Sources: Chi, Magical, Psionic, or Spirit
Focus: Dolls

Doll Control lets the user create and control dolls. Dolls are defined as any object that possesses the traits of Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Injury Tolerance (Unliving) [20] or (Homogeneous) [40], and Unhealing (Partial) [-20] or (Total) [-30] that bears some resemblance to fantastic or realistic living creatures (which includes some forms of golems, vampires, zombies, etc). Explanations include chi projection (Chi), magical animation (Magical), psionic manipulation (Psionic), and spiritual possession (Spirit).

Doll Control Talent
5 points/level

Doll Control Abilities

Advantages marked * involve direct mental contact, and require Specialized, Dolls Only, -25%. They work only on dolls (which includes some forms of golems, vampires, zombies, etc), though the nature of the dolls does not matter.

Allies (Dolls), with Summonable; Damage Resistance (Limited, Dolls, -60%); Detect (Dolls); Enhanced Defenses (Any; Limited, Dolls, -60%); Mind Control*; Mind Probe*; Mind Reading*; Mind Link (Any Doll); Possession*; Protected Power; Shapeshifting (Any Doll Form); Spirit Empathy*, Telecommunication*; and Telekinesis (Animation, -20% or -30%; Limited, Objects that bears some resemblance to fantastic or realistic living creatures only, -25%).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: New Power Talent: Doll Control

Could fit a fairly wide range of campaignes. One of the more disturbing options (probably for Horror/Monster Hunters/Urban Fantasy) is a demon that at first the investigators think is the lonely ghost of a little girl who died of an illness.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
edk926

Given that moving dolls are inherently creepy, you could probably add Terror into that.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
whswhs

I think I would suggest calling it Animation, as the abilities can be used more broadly than with dolls.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
lvalero

I love it! It reminds me the puppet master powers of the Naruto series.

The most powerful puppet master can animate corpses or even "puppet" a living person!

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Puppet_Technique

Quote:
If a puppeteer loses all puppets, it does not mean they are rendered completely helpless, as they could utilise the technique with corpses strewn across the battlefield; performing this tactic with a live person requires great cooperation and coordination or weakening the resisting enemy beforehand.
You may also consider

- Afflictions/Innate Attacks with cosmic enhacement "Can be cast from the doll instead from me" +100%
- Telekinesis with "Power Block" to block attacks to you using the doll as a shield.
- Healing "only for Dolls"
- Gadgeteer "only to invent weapons for dolls, armour for dolls, and dolls body parts"
Old 06-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Thank you all for the positive comments. Terror is definately a good addition and Naruto was an inspiration. I had not thought about the other abilities, but they seem like a natural fit as well. Shielding with a doll would seem to be more of a combat perk rather than a power enhancement to me though.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote