Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
William

Default Image Thread

Here's something that might not go over so well on the mailing list, but should be okay here!

Often I'm browing through a news site and come across a nice photo (the New York Times is good for this, though most of the photos are originally AP) that reminds me of an In Nomine setting. Take this one for example; I looked at it and instantly thought, "Stygia."

Not a perfect match, what with the river and all, but you might say this is a view from a border near the Styx, with Fleurity's houseboat and attendant fleet passing by a small port outpost.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
MIB Control
Julie Yeager/MIB Control

Default Re: Image Thread

I like the works of Gustave Doré - he illustarted (amongst others) the Bible, Dante's Inferno and Paradiso and Milton's Paradise Lost (his Rime of the Ancient Mariner for the basis for my Masters thesis!)

Dated, but timelessly haunting...
www.sjgames.com
MIB Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
tylrlsaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Often I'm browing through a news site and come across a nice photo (the New York Times is good for this, though most of the photos are originally AP) that reminds me of an In Nomine setting. Take this one for example; I looked at it and instantly thought, "Stygia."
"...and here is a picture of the hotel His Lordship, the Demon Prince of Fire stayed at while on vacation. I was the photographer. Naturally, I took the picture for across the river..."

Nice shot. Reminds me of the one big fire I was up close for.
tylrlsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
harmyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB Control
I like the works of Gustave Doré - he illustarted (amongst others) the Bible, Dante's Inferno and Paradiso and Milton's Paradise Lost (his Rime of the Ancient Mariner for the basis for my Masters thesis!)

Dated, but timelessly haunting...
He illustrated the Bible and Paradise Lost?

Wowsers to quote Gadget. He's like what? 6000 years old?
He must be a master by now.
"Wherever you go, there you are." Bonzai
harmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
William

New Orleans at night. Is this image the French Quarter? Bourbon street? I don't know. What I do know about the French Quarter is this.

It's too sinful to be Heaven.

It's too beautiful to be Hell.

It's too grittily real to be Ethereal.

It's too diffuse to be a Tether.

But it has survived Katrina intact. And it carries a city's spirit with it.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
brass

Some of the more empty corners of Tartarus,

Here

Here

Here

...Tell the others.
brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
William

Hmm... the second one does look pretty ominous. The spiraling ducts compositionally create a sort of vortex sucking downward -- the "nooses" on the side are a nice, randomly fearsome touch, too.

The third picture seems more appealing to me than scary, though. A man-made forest of stone, solitary and quiet. I can imagine sitting on a chair off to the side and reading peacefully.

Looks like Japanese lettering on the first. Where are they from, Super Kamiokande? Municipal infrastructure?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
William

Thought folks might enjoy this and this , which come from a series of islands (and a sea cave) offshore of southern California. Put me in mind of what David and Jordi probably had to do after Oannes died. Their Cathedrals doubtless abut Oannes' Grotto and they would have had to shoulder some reponsibilities that fell under the Word, Jordi (especially his Seraphim) taking care of sea animals that swam in the Heavenly Ocean and David assigning personnel (probably several from Oannes) to fill the gap Oannes left overseeing coastlines, sea caves, aquifers, and the like.

Both of the pictures contain some neat rock formations. It really takes wind and water to get stone carved in some of the most eyecatching natural ways.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
DryaUnda

I've found a flash movie featuring a creature that greatly resembles Haagenti.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #10
William

Mountain!

God, it's so pretty. If I were David, I might assign an angel or two to look over the place just to make sure it stayed that way. No wonder there are real mountain-worship religions in the world.

And then... if I were an angel David had assigned, I might look on the incessant fighting over which humans owned the place as increasingly frustrating.

And then... when the quake came, I might remember why David has a reputation as a stone cold, granite-harsh molder of whole nations....

Tags
pop culture