Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #31
Lupo

Default Re: TL3 shields work as cover vs modern rifles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby
An m16 will do 5d dame that is on average 17.5. Whereas the shield has a DR of 9 and 60 hp and according to the breaking shields rules is penetrated on HP/4+DR, thus with 24 points. Add the RD 5 chest armor and the total raises to 29 that requires one to roll five sixes to penetrate one point.
I agree with Hal here, shields should have *far* lower DR and HP. They're unrealistically resilient in GURPS and this creates the problems you are pointing to.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Ulzgoroth

The overpenetration rule that thin slabs provide only their DR as cover against small projectile attack types, with no contribution from HP, would seem to fix that problem if you use it instead of the rules as written for penetrating shields. And, on the side, makes it quite possible for a strong bow or sling to punch through even a heavy shield.

Incidentally, with ST 14 and a staff sling throwing lead shot, you get as much damage as a 9mm pistol. Wow.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #33
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo
I agree with Hal here, shields should have *far* lower DR and HP. They're unrealistically resilient in GURPS and this creates the problems you are pointing to.
The question then becomes one of "What should the HP and DP values for shields be?"

It isn't all that hard to determine what the physical volumes required for various objects. Given density of materials used for the construction of shields, it isn't all that hard to determine what any given shield's weight should be based on the materials used. For example, Birch has a density of 41 lbs per cubic foot. Iron has a density of 489 lbs per cubic foot. Leather has a density of about 58.98 lbs per cubic foot.

The formula for calculating the volume of a shield would esentially fall under the heading "cylinder" where volume = pi * radius^2 * depth(or height) of cylinder.

Other needed information:
1 cubic foot contains 1,728 cubic inches.
1 inch = 25.4 mm

Thus, the dimensions of a round shield that measures 20" in diameter, 3/4" in thickness made of birchwood laminates, would contain roughly 235.619449
cubic inches in volume, and have an expected weight of about 5.6 lbs.

If one presumes that the DR of that Birchwood plywood shield is about equal to 1" thick wood (per page 558 of GURPS CAMPAIGNS), then any other DR bonuses to the shield have to stem from either (or both) leather and/or iron being added to the shield's facing.

I leave it to the reader to see if they can recreate the values for shields given in GURPS using real world data.

Oh, almost forgot...

GURPS assigns a DR value for 1" of iron as being 70. All it takes to calculate the thickness of iron required to grant a given DR value, is to determine the thickness of the iron required divided by 70 and that is the thickness in inches of the iron material. If you know the shield's basic dimensions (ie its radius), then you can determine how many cubic inches of iron is required to cover that shield to any given depth.

(Note: I do not know how thick leather has to be before it provides a DR of 1, but since leather provides a DR of 1 for covering the same as an iron plate cuirass, it shouldn't be too difficult comparing weights of the two to get some acceptable value of thickness to DR rating. There is already talk about how a plate cuirass should weigh about 8 lbs with a 1mm thickness.)

Basic numbers I ran using a spreadsheet:

Roundshield at 20" diameter
DR 7
Birch material
depth of wood = 3/4"

Cubic foot required for wood = .136 cubic feet
Cubic foot required for iron = .016
Weight of wood: 5.58 (for DR 1)
Weight of Iron: 7.82 (for DR 6)
Combined weight: 13.4 lbs
Combined DR: 7

A 30 inch shield by the way, would weigh almost 30 lbs in order to have a DR of 7!

Frankly? I don't think that the shields depicted in GURPS match that of Historical shields. My expectations of what a shield's DR should be, is that of perhaps 1 for the wood itself, and maybe 1 or 2 for leather facing of the shield. The leather facing should in most respects, be treated as ablative armor, so that over time, the shield's DR becomes hacked to bits and then the shield's hp become hacked to bits. The older GURPS rules reflect this - which is why I use those instead of the new rules

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #34
weby

I sure hope Low tech has fixed shield rules.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #35
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby
I sure hope Low tech has fixed shield rules.
GURPS 3e has them! Or you can simply reduce the values given on 4e to half or one third.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
Nymdok

I tried at one time to look at shields versus the Structural tables in the back of the basic set to see how much of the DR/HP came from the material and how much of it came from technology.http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=47660

Right now Im busy failing at trying to improve the bow spectrum, but you may want to consider looking at it and trying to further that material.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #37
jacobmuller

Quote:
GURPS 3e has them! Or you can simply reduce the values given on 4e to half or one third.
That does produce nice numbers. Large shield DR3 HP20 would stop 8 points of damage. A lot closer to the inanimate object stats for thin wood with a leather facing.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #38
martinl

Quote:
The average rpg hobbyist expects low tech shields to be durable equipment. GURPS caters to this.

Realistic low tech shields, as noted, take a lot of damage in fights. Handling this in GURPS results in a lot of record keeping and maintenance.

GM: Lord Phluphernuttur, the Black Squire smacks you with his morningstar!
Player: I block (clatter) made it by 3.
GM: OK, the morningstar does (clatter) 11 points to your shield. Is that enough to bash through?
Player: hrm... minus DR ... carry the 2 ... ok 3 points get through.
GM: OK, roll on the shield penetration hit location table (clatter) it hits your helmet.
Player: Whew, I got DR 5 there.
GM: Are we using armor damage?
Other players: (run away screaming)
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #39
Anthony

Actually, I think some of these are general mechanical issues with 4e, not specific to shields. One problem is that penetration of barriers is based on the hit points of the barrier, which means making a barrier wider (without increasing its thickness) makes it harder to penetrate. Another problem is that most barriers don't actually have the same defense against all attacks -- for example, a rifle bullet can easily blow through more than 6" of wood, whereas 1/2" will stop most melee weapons. On the reverse end of things, against sandbags the melee weapon may have more penetration.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #40
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Shields were made much more resilient for 4e. I used to say this was an accidental misformatting of the (much more reasonable) 3e data. Kromm told me it was deliberate and now I just say it was a mistake instead of an accident. :)

Tags
low-tech, shields