Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dueling Long Shield [LT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Humans ingenuity should never be underestimated! Any more suggestions for the style I drafted above (or for stats for the weapon)?
I don't think anybody trained it separately from a more comprehensive style, shouldn't all this just be optional traits for a Baroque-era German Longsword style?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #22
SuedodeuS

I'd say when used with Shield, it's just like any other shield (albeit awkward), and most designs don't have a conical or spiked boss. For swinging with Staff, I'd give it a small damage penalty (due to air resistance) in comparison to a quarterstaff, for sw+1 cr. Thrusting would be just like a quarterstaff, so thr+2 cr. This is for a baseline shield, lacking spikes and hooking cutouts. It would weigh 14 lb and cost $90. A typical shield (in table) would have two full-sized spearheads (thr+2 imp; while the shield is wielded two-handed, the grip isn't as conducive for stabbing as a proper spear) and two hooks.

On a final note, using the shield with Staff doesn't give Staff's Parry bonus, although boosting DB to 4 might be appropriate (it covers more of the body when wielded like this).
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
Novembermike

I'd probably just treat it as a mix between a heavy shield and a melee only javelin. It's basically a bad shield and a bad spear put together. The only pro is that it's a single item and I'm not sure how much benefit you get from that.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think anybody trained it separately from a more comprehensive style, shouldn't all this just be optional traits for a Baroque-era German Longsword style?
I think that someone expecting a duel would spend their 30-60 days training in whatever style they were going to fight with. Most people wouldn't bother learning to use a duelling shield, so they would have to start learning then. And it might be the first style they learned. All in all, it sounds like its worth a style.

Its no stranger than having Shurikenjutsu as a separate style.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I think that someone expecting a duel would spend their 30-60 days training in whatever style they were going to fight with.
I think the idea was that people that wanted to be professional champions would learn it and then hire themselves out to wealthy defendants. These guys would have to master all weapons that might be used in a duel (judicial or otherwise). More commonly people that were studying under German masters expected to learn a bunch of different weapons, the same way that people taking Martial Arts today might expect to learn a mix of grappling and striking.
Quote:
Most people wouldn't bother learning to use a duelling shield, so they would have to start learning then. And it might be the first style they learned.
That doesn't fit with the Fechtbuchs that include it as part of a comprehensive style. Are you aware of any masters who taught only Judicial Dueling Shields?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shield, shields