Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Snargash Moonclaw

Default What's the functional (mechanical) difference between Parabolic and Acute Hearing?

Looking at the Hearing Distance Table on B358, basically a +1 to hearing has the same effect as doubling the range you can hear - adjusting "1 step". If you have PER 12 and Parabolic Hearing 1, your hearing roll for a normal conversation at 2 yards is 12 or less because you double the distance you can hear at no penalty. If instead you have Acute hearing 1, your hearing roll is still 12 or less because you have a +1 negating the -1 for the "step you are more distant." The descriptive text for Parabolic Hearing (B72) talks about "'zooming in' and filtering out" but gives no mechanic to show that this actually does
anything, causing me to wonder why it costs 4 pts/lvl vs Acute Hearing's 2 (and why the separate advantage exists at all).

I started wondering about this after working up a racial template for halflings in my homebrew setting. I'm deliberately giving them amazing hearing as a survival mechanism and was looking at the details to see precisely how well they can hear. With Acute Hearing 5, Discriminatory Hearing (I was looking more at the ability to precisely identify sound than the +4 to hearing rolls. . .) and Parabolic Hearing 2, I came to realize that the cumulative effect seems to be that they can hear a normal conversation at about half a mile (2048 yards) as well as a human can at 1 yd. Hmm - while I expect Eavesdropping to be a literal profession among them this is a little more than I had in mind. . .

Am I missing something hear?

The obsessive/compulsively curious can find the entire template here.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: What's the functional (mechanical) difference between Parabolic and Acute Hearing

i take the "Zoom in and filter out" to mean you can discard any negative penalties to hearing rolls that are incurred for ambient noise between you and what you are trying to listen to.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: What's the functional (mechanical) difference between Parabolic and Acute Hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
i take the "Zoom in and filter out" to mean you can discard any negative penalties to hearing rolls that are incurred for ambient noise between you and what you are trying to listen to.
Exactly.

It's true that if Adam is trying to listen in to a conversation 30 yards away across a quiet field, Parabolic Hearing and Acute Hearing will give him the same bonuses. But put a busy street between Adam and that conversation, one that imposes a -5 penalty, and the situation suddenly becomes much different. If Adam has enough Parabolic Hearing to put his point of hearing across the street, he can ignore the penalty for the background noise entirely, as well as negating the distance penalty, whereas someone with Acute Hearing would still have to cope with it.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Snargash Moonclaw

Thanks - the "put his point of hearing" nails what I'm looking for - also speaks to something that I would think inherent in Parabolic hearing - binaural (distance) location. RAW doesn't say any of that (that I can find at any rate) but it makes perfect sense.

My math was screwed - I was thinking in feet rather than yards and halflings are hearing (without intervening ambient noise. . .) a conversation over a mile away! Would work on a quiet night in the wilderness, but in the city, um, not so well. Still, they make excellent eavesdroppers.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I seem to have a negative level of Parabolic Hearing. I think I have a level of Acute Hearing, or PER, or maybe even both, but I'm severely inconvenienced by background noise.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I seem to have a negative level of Parabolic Hearing. I think I have a level of Acute Hearing, or PER, or maybe even both, but I'm severely inconvenienced by background noise.
Ditto. I wonder if that's not uncommon. I've known a couple of people that have accute hearing but difficulty in differentiating "muddy" sounds.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Ragitsu
Banned

By the way, where is "Panoptic" located at?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
By the way, where is "Panoptic" located at?
Not sure... 360 degree vision? Maybe 360 degree vision in Powers?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ditto. I wonder if that's not uncommon. I've known a couple of people that have accute hearing but difficulty in differentiating "muddy" sounds.
I'm pretty good at written English, but I literally can't watch a movie or television show where they speak English, without subtitles (English or Danish subs doesn't matter). I can watch narrated documentaries just fine, though. Even some Danish movies are tricky without Danish subtitles.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Not sure... 360 degree vision? Maybe 360 degree vision in Powers?
It's indeed an Enhancement to 360 Vision in Powers.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acute hearing, parabolic hearing