Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Wavefunction

Default [After The End] Cultural Background Lenses

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas for basic Cultural Background Lenses for After The End. What I mean by this is basically a collection of traits and skills set around a specific origin for the character.

An example would be the following template, which I'm planning on using (using popular house-rule that Extended Lifespan and Longevity cost 1 point, Unaging costs 5 points):

Spacer (TL9) [25]
Before the end of civilization you were sent off to explore the depths of space. During the journey there and back you were frozen to preserve you, and as such you missed the end of the world. Without a pilot or any return signal your ship crash-landed. Now you find yourself on a world almost as alien to you as the one you'd just left. You have skills useful to an astronaut, as well as some handy gifts from your origins in an advanced society.

Advantages [9]
Accessories (Biomonitor; Tiny computer) [2]; Fit [5]; Longevity [1]; No Degeneration in Zero-G [1] • 15 points chosen from among HT +1 [10], Will +1 or +2 [5 or 10], Per +1 or +2 [5 or 10], 3D Spacial Sense [10], Perfect Balance [15], or Single-Minded [5].
Disadvantages [-5]
Social Stigma (Outsider) [-5].
Skills [6]
Free-Fall (A) DX -1 [1]; Spacer (E) IQ [1]; and Vacc Suit (A) DX -1 [1]. • Choose three of Astronomy (H) IQ -2 [1], Computer Operation (E) IQ [1], Navigation (Space) (A) IQ -1 [1], Piloting (Any) (A) DX -1 [1], or raise any of the above skills by one.

I welcome other templates, as well as criticisms of the above template. I'll probably post a few more as I come up with them.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Stix4armz

Default Re: [After The End] Cultural Background Lenses

I guess my criticism would be that some of those skills and traits are wasted points unless the setting is going to put you back into space at some point. It seems like the origin doesn't mandate spending points unnecessarily, kind of like how DF elves omit unaging despite the fact that elves don't age.

For example, Vacc Suit could prove quite useful in a variety of wasteland settings, whereas Space Navigation isn't going to come up. I'd consider that when designing lenses like this.

I'll look forward to seeing more though, these sort of things are especially helpful for new players.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Don't have templates yet. I'm thinking 15-25 points.

Ideas for templates:

Vaulter - high tech survivors
Farmer -small communities that trade food for supplies
Marauder - raiders
Caravaner -nomadic trade caravans
Hub city citizen - trade hubs with some (TL 5?) manufacturing
Former slave - particularly I with thinking Reign of Steel style escaped slaves of robot overlords, might be adaptable for non-robots, dunno.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
I guess my criticism would be that some of those skills and traits are wasted points unless the setting is going to put you back into space at some point. It seems like the origin doesn't mandate spending points unnecessarily, kind of like how DF elves omit unaging despite the fact that elves don't age.
I can see that argument. In general I'm a fan of a bit of flavor in the form of Skills and Traits that aren't obviously useful, but fit the character, however, I can see where you're coming from. The template below reimagines the Spacer as someone focused on being able to deal with alien environments, making them pretty good survivors, though there's still some stuff in there purely for flavor. I also added Anthropology, since they're originally from before the end.

Spacer [25]

Advantages [24]
Fit [5]; Longevity [1]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]. • 15 points chosen from among Absolute Direction [5], Combat Reflexes [15], Deep Sleeper [1], Fearlessness 1-5 [2/level], Less Sleep 1-4 [2/level], Perfect Balance [15], Rapid Healing [5], Single-Minded [5], Temperature Tolerance 1-3 [1/level], upgrade Fit to Very Fit for 10 points, or Resistant to Disease (+3) to Resistant to Disease (+8) for 2 points.
Disadvantages [-5]
Social Stigma (Outsider) [-5]
Skills [6]
Anthropology (H) IQ -1 [2]; Spacer (E) IQ [1]; and Vacc Suit (A) DX -1 [1]. • Choose three of Astronomy (H) IQ -2 [1], Biology (VH) IQ -3 [1], Computer Operation (E) IQ [1], Electronics Operation (Any) (E) IQ [1], Engineer (Any) (H) IQ -2 [1], Piloting (Any) (A) DX -1 [1], Physics (VH) IQ -3 [1], Physician (H) IQ -2 [1], or Research (A) IQ -1 [1].
Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
mehrkat

I vaguely remember a perk for "dabbler" that gives you a group of skills that you just barely know.

I would be willing to give a perk for "useless skills that might come up in some odd way" then if it becomes useful in a real way they can buy the skill. It seems to have a similar value to dabbler.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
I can see that argument. In general I'm a fan of a bit of flavor in the form of Skills and Traits that aren't obviously useful, but fit the character, however, I can see where you're coming from. The template below reimagines the Spacer as someone focused on being able to deal with alien environments, making them pretty good survivors, though there's still some stuff in there purely for flavor. I also added Anthropology, since they're originally from before the end.

Spacer [25]

Advantages [24]
Fit [5]; Longevity [1]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]. • 15 points chosen from among Absolute Direction [5], Combat Reflexes [15], Deep Sleeper [1], Fearlessness 1-5 [2/level], Less Sleep 1-4 [2/level], Perfect Balance [15], Rapid Healing [5], Single-Minded [5], Temperature Tolerance 1-3 [1/level], upgrade Fit to Very Fit for 10 points, or Resistant to Disease (+3) to Resistant to Disease (+8) for 2 points.
Disadvantages [-5]
Skills [6]
Anthropology (H) IQ -1 [2]; Spacer (E) IQ [1]; and Vacc Suit (A) DX -1 [1]. • Choose three of Astronomy (H) IQ -2 [1], Biology (VH) IQ -3 [1], Computer Operation (E) IQ [1], Electronics Operation (Any) (E) IQ [1], Engineer (Any) (H) IQ -2 [1], Piloting (Any) (A) DX -1 [1], Physics (VH) IQ -3 [1], Physician (H) IQ -2 [1], or Research (A) IQ -1 [1].
If you really want a spacer that'd be useful in the Warelamd, I'd raid "Free Falling" from Pyramid 3/85 - The Cutting Edge, specifically for two levels of Spacer Talent (p. 29) and offer the alternate benefit instead of reputation. Then add in at least 1 point in Scrounging, plus 4 points spread among any other skill in the talent, specifically calling out Electrician, Electronics Repair (any), Machinist, Mechanic (any), and Vacc Suit as being useful. None of the perks would be useful. If you want to bend the rules a touch, swap out Acrobatics for Astrobatics, but that wiuldn't be totally in sticking with GURPS Space or that article.

Hope that helps!

[Edit]
Also, not sure why a lot of those advantages are there. People living in space will be generally less fit and more sheltered from disease than average people.Deep Sleeper, Fearlessness, and Single-Mimded all fit. Less Sleep is super iffy; astronauts have triuble sleeping in space and only average 6 hrs, but that results in sleep deprivation. Also, why Anthtopology? That doesnt really have anything to do with spacefaring.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 03-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #7
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I vaguely remember a perk for "dabbler" that gives you a group of skills that you just barely know.

I would be willing to give a perk for "useless skills that might come up in some odd way" then if it becomes useful in a real way they can buy the skill. It seems to have a similar value to dabbler.
I just don't feel certain about using Dabbler in a Cultural Background Lens, especially for something like ATE, it just feels a bit t0o picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
If you really want a spacer that'd be useful in the Warelamd, I'd raid "Free Falling" from Pyramid 3/85 - The Cutting Edge, specifically for two levels of Spacer Talent (p. 29) and offer the alternate benefit instead of reputation. Then add in at least 1 point in Scrounging, plus 4 points spread among any other skill in the talent, specifically calling out Electrician, Electronics Repair (any), Machinist, Mechanic (any), and Vacc Suit as being useful. None of the perks would be useful. If you want to bend the rules a touch, swap out Acrobatics for Astrobatics, but that wiuldn't be totally in sticking with GURPS Space or that article.
I don't think I'd included Spacer Talent, it's just too hefty a Talent (10 points/level) for too little benefit, they wouldn't really use half the skills. Sure I'm fine with putting a point in a few skills they wouldn't use, but then paying 10 points to raise them all by one? I don't think that's going to appeal to everyone.

That said, I like a few of the skills you included in the Talent. I think I'll try and tweak the Spacer skill list so that it focuses on a selection of useful, highly academic skills, since they were educated before the collapse, some useful space-related skills, and some very basic background skills. I'll strip out things like Engineer and Physician, and replace them with Machinic, Electrician, Electronics Repair, Machinist, or First Aid. To be the ship's medical officer and get skills like Physician or Surgery you then pick the Doc template, to be the ship's engineer you go with Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
[Edit]
Also, not sure why a lot of those advantages are there. People living in space will be generally less fit and more sheltered from disease than average people.Deep Sleeper, Fearlessness, and Single-Mimded all fit. Less Sleep is super iffy; astronauts have triuble sleeping in space and only average 6 hrs, but that results in sleep deprivation. Also, why Anthtopology? That doesnt really have anything to do with spacefaring.
A lot of those were intended as a result of being bought up in a TL9 pre-apocalyptic society, and therefore having access to TL9 gengineering and biomods. Astronauts would be tailored towards being able to survive and thrive in an alien environment, hence things like Resistant to Disease, Fit, Less Sleep, Temperature Tolerance, etc. Absolute Direction was in there because 3D Spacial Sense (which does fit) would be largely a waste of points in this setting, so I chose the lesser version, Perfect Balance I admit was just taken from the GURPS Space Astronaut template, I'm guessing they thought it would help for orienting oneself in 0G?

Maybe I'll limit myself to appropriate Spacer advantages, then at the end say that Spacers may also spend the points allocated for Advantages on TL9 biomods or minor cybernetics.

As for Anthropology, in ATE, that's called out for answering questions on civilization before the collapse. Since the Spacers were brought up before the collapse, I figured it'd be an appropriate skill.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #8
Minuteman37

I don't know about making computer operation an optional skill, it seems pretty essential to me.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
Wavefunction

Using the advice provided, I have the following lens. I cut down the point cost slightly, since I think 20 points is about the ideal amount for this sort of thing.

Just as a quick note, most of these lenses don't included Area Knowledge, since every template has it as an option. Only a background lens that relates to travelling far and wide is likely to have it as an option.

Spacer [20]
Born into a more advanced, safer world, you chose to look to the stars. Journeying into deep space you were frozen to preserve you across the vast cosmic distances, that's how you missed the end of the world. Returning to Earth your ship crash-landed, and you stepped out onto a world almost as alien as the one you'd just left.

Advantages [15]
Fit [5] • 10 points chosen from Will +1 or +2 [5 or 10], Deep Sleeper [1], Fearlessness 1-5 [2/level], Single-Minded [5], or upgrade Fit to Very Fit for 10 points • Spacers may also spend the above points on TL9 gengineered traits, biomods, or cybernetics, subject to GM approval,
Disadvantages [-5]
Skills [10]
Anthropology (H) IQ -2 [1]; Computer Operation (E) IQ [1]; Scrounging (E) Per [1]; Spacer (E) IQ [1]; and Vacc Suit (A) DX -1 [1]. • Choose five of Astronomy (H) IQ -2 [1], Biology (VH) IQ -3 [1], Chemistry (H) IQ -2 [1], Electrician (A) IQ -1 [1], Electronics Operation (Any) (A) IQ -1 [1], Electronics Repair (Any) (A) IQ -1 [1], First Aid (E) IQ [1], Machinist (A) IQ -1 [1], Mechanic (Any) (A) IQ -1 [1], Physics (VH) IQ -3 [1], Research (A) IQ -1 [1], or raise any of the above skills by one.

Thought I'd throw this one into the mix as well:

Mechanist [20]
To a Mechanist the machine is God. From the moment they can hold a wrench they're repairing, modifying, or making machines. To bring themselves closer to their mechanical idols Mechanists often have body parts replaced with cybernetics, as well as extensive metal piercings. Most Mechanists have Fanaticism (The Machine), to make it playable for PCs the following lens lacks that disadvantage.

Advantages [25]
Wasteland Tinkerer* 2 [10]. • 15 points chosen from Equipment Bond [1], Gadgeteer (Specialized, -50%) [13], Gizmos 1-3 [5/level], Improvised Weapons (Any) [1/level], Signature Gear [1/item], Wasteland Tinkerer 3 or 4 [5 or 10], Weapon Bond [1], or spend points to start with additional gear. • Mechanists can also spend the above points on TL9 cybernetics.
Disadvantages [-10]
Code of Honor (Mechanist†) [-10]
Skills [5]
Choose five of Armory (Any) (A) IQ +1‡ [1], Electrician (A) IQ +1‡ [1], Electronics Repair (Any) (A) IQ +1‡ [1], Expert Skill (Robotics) (H) IQ -2 [1], Machinist (A) IQ +1‡ [1], Mechanic (Any) (A) IQ +1‡ [1], Scrounging (E) Per +2‡ [1].

*Adds to Armory, Electrician, Electronics Repair, Machinist, Mechanic, and Scrounging. Reaction Bonus with other Mechanists.
†Never damage a machine if remotely possible, never discard a machine if it can be fixed, if forced to damage or discard a machine, say a prayer for it, protect your personal equipment with your life.
‡Includes +2 from Wasteland Tinkerer.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
I don't know about making computer operation an optional skill, it seems pretty essential to me.
For what it's worth, ATE takes the tack that computers are either going to be (A) corrupt up enough that you'll have to use Computer Programming to get them working, (B) secure enough that you'll have to use Computer Programming to hack them (like robots!), or (C) so advanced that you don't really need any skill to use them -- just talk to them.

That's why Computer Operation isn't one of the recommended skills. That said, if you want computers to have a much greater presence in your game than ATE assumes, you could add in Computer Operation and Computer Hacking so that "the computer nerd" becomes its own niche.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end