Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
pawsplay

Default Re: Is the "Inspired Creation" spell talking about rules that don't even exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
So, my question: What on earth is this spell even talking about? I haven't been able to find in book or in search any rules that even think about discussing crafting rules, let alone how success vs. critical success or success at different skill levels work. If a craftsman benefits from this, what's the difference between whether he has Armoury: Melee Weapons (or Carpenter, or Leatherworking, or Artist: Body Art) at Skill 10 versus Skill 15 or Skill 20? Is this spell referencing rules that don't even exist?

Cheers.
I assume the spell was simply written to work with whatever those rules end up being.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Default Re: Is the "Inspired Creation" spell talking about rules that don't even exist?

Quote:
I'm not interested in which skills are crafting skills (that's easy enough to figure out), but in how they work.

(That said, that's a handy PDF anyway, and I'll definitely be adding it to my arsenal. Thanks for the reference.)

Cheers.
It's just the default rule for every non-combat skill. The more you beat your target by, the better you did.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Langy

Yeah, but the question is 'what does that mean?' If a margin of success of 0 means you made whatever it is you made succesfully, what does a margin of success of 5 mean? What about a critical success made by someone with five more ranks in the skill than you? What does that mean?
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
Huyderman
MIB

Since proper rules from crafting stuff comes in the new Low-Tech or one of it's companions (can't remember which atm.), this spell will actually have rules to apply to. And IIRC, will make this a quite usefull spell. :)
MiB#0505
http://www.huyderman.com/
Huyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah, but the question is 'what does that mean?' If a margin of success of 0 means you made whatever it is you made succesfully, what does a margin of success of 5 mean? What about a critical success made by someone with five more ranks in the skill than you? What does that mean?
It's _really_ good. :)

Seriously, how elaborate a set of rules do you _need_?

Something with a margin of success of 5 is one place better than something with a MoS of 4 but not quite as good as one with a MoS of 6.

Get a critical success with a MoS of 5 more than you could possibly roll means it's better than you possibly could achieve without using this spell.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
cmdicely

Quote:
So, my question: What on earth is this spell even talking about? I haven't been able to find in book or in search any rules that even think about discussing crafting rules, let alone how success vs. critical success or success at different skill levels work.
If you squint at the New Inventions and Gadgeteering (pp. B473-477) rules just right, you can use them to make things that are not "new inventions"; critical success has well defined effects, and overall skill level effects what you can even attempt to make.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
LargePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
If you squint at the New Inventions and Gadgeteering (pp. B473-477) rules just right, you can use them to make things that are not "new inventions"; critical success has well defined effects, and overall skill level effects what you can even attempt to make.
May we barrow your glasses?

Like could you jot down your blurry percipience?
LargePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I suppose it's a reference to the rules from old LT for 3e, but it seems unlikely. Yeah, Magic is like that.
I remember that this came from 3e GURPS Japan, my copy of which is not available to me at the moment. Perhaps somebody else could look up the relevant rules for Landwalker, given this lead...?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
A margin of success of 0 mean you have the minimal serviceable version of what you are doing. A success by 5 would mean something quite good. As for the latter, if your skill is 12, then you would have succeeded by 13. Anything over 10 and you are getting into Stradivarius territory.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Refplace

IIRC correctly this was in Ice Age which I believe is where the spell appeared.
But that was many years ago and I no longer have that book.
I think I recall somewhere that a crit success with a skill gavea fine quality weapon.
Actually Im thinking now this was in japan
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rant