Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Landwalker

Default Is the "Inspired Creation" spell talking about rules that don't even exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic p. 115: Inspired Creation
Inspired Creation (VH)
Regular

Helps a subject create one craft work - a weapon, suit of armor, painting, etc. - of a quality far beyond his usual ability... The work is as good as if it were made with a critical success by an artisan of skill 5 levels higher than the subject's actual skill; no roll is required...
So, my question: What on earth is this spell even talking about? I haven't been able to find in book or in search any rules that even think about discussing crafting rules, let alone how success vs. critical success or success at different skill levels work. If a craftsman benefits from this, what's the difference between whether he has Armoury: Melee Weapons (or Carpenter, or Leatherworking, or Artist: Body Art) at Skill 10 versus Skill 15 or Skill 20? Is this spell referencing rules that don't even exist?

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Is the "Inspired Creation" spell talking about rules that don't even exist?

I suppose it's a reference to the rules from old LT for 3e, but it seems unlikely. Yeah, Magic is like that.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Landwalker

Default Re: Is the "Inspired Creation" spell talking about rules that don't even exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I suppose it's a reference to the rules from old LT for 3e, but it seems unlikely. Yeah, Magic is like that.
I tried checking Low-Tech to see if that were the case, but never found any concrete crafting rules there, either. The call-out for the Armoury skill on LT 40-41 was the closest thing there was, but it never discussed things like margin of success (barring critical success) or the scaling effects of success at different skill levels, either.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I suppose it's a reference to the rules from old LT for 3e,
I believe there will be general rules for crafting in the new Low Tech (or at leasr it's pdf Companions).
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I believe there will be general rules for crafting in the new Low Tech (or at leasr it's pdf Companions).
There will be (in the Companions), though since they hadn't been written until a couple of months ago, I doubt that Inspired Creation points to them. Granted, they could have done it if they had access to Divination spells, but if they had, wouldn't they have done a better job of updating the spells in Magic itself?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
LargePrime

Does that mean there is an error in "Inspired Creation"? errata?
LargePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargePrime View Post
Does that mean there is an error in "Inspired Creation"? errata?
It doesn't seem like it's so much an error, since it doesn't contradict any established rules, but a gross omission (and not necessarily an omission in Inspired Creation, but an omission in the general rules of how crafting works).

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
So, my question: What on earth is this spell even talking about? I haven't been able to find in book or in search any rules that even think about discussing crafting rules, let alone how success vs. critical success or success at different skill levels work.
I suspect this may be a reference to the old subgrouping of Craft Skills (3rd ed. Rev. pp. B53-54), which mention making a successful Skill Roll to build/create things. There's a free PDF at e23 that should have a list of 4th ed. Craft Skills.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
I suspect this may be a reference to the old subgrouping of Craft Skills (3rd ed. Rev. pp. B53-54), which mention making a successful Skill Roll to build/create things. There's a free PDF at e23 that should have a list of 4th ed. Craft Skills.
I'm not interested in which skills are crafting skills (that's easy enough to figure out), but in how they work.

(That said, that's a handy PDF anyway, and I'll definitely be adding it to my arsenal. Thanks for the reference.)

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
LargePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicp115,Inspired Creation
The work is as good as if it were made with a critical success by an artisan of skill 5 levels higher than the subject’s actual skill; no roll is required.
What does that mean? If I have a craft of 9, or a craft of 14 and I get a critical success [making a quarterstaff, say];
1) what is the difference?
2) Is my quarterstaff automatically "very fine", (which is not allowed in the basic set)?
LargePrime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rant