Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Flipping through one of my old folders, I noticed something about the range calculations for airplanes and helicopters: They are Badly Off.

For example: I have a fighter design, the _Adler_ ("Eagle"). It has a Super Acft. plant, giving it [50 x 16 =] 800 Power Units [PU] total. It has a top speed of 447.5 MPH; assuming "cruise speed" is 60% of top speed (more on this later), it cruises at 267.5 MPH. If one plugs these values into the "PU-per-mile" formula, one gets:

(800 x (267.5 - 75)) / (10,000 x (447.5 / 240)) = 8.26 PU/mi.

which means it has a range at cruise of only 100 miles, and falls out of the air after 30 minutes.

Similarly, the _Kugelblitz_ ("Ball Lightning"), with a Small Acft. plant [500 PU] and TS of 342.5 MPH (205 MPH cruise):

(500 x (205 - 75)) / (10,000 x (342.5 / 240)) = 4.55 PU/mi.

which isn't much more than 100 miles at cruise, and similarly short duration.

Not helping: In Reality, an airplane's "cruise speed" is 80-90% of top speed, not 60%.

Given even the really small LSAs and trainers have ranges and endurances closer to two hours and 300 miles at "cruise" (which, as noted, is much faster than what _CW_ lists), I'm thinking the range calculations are in desperate need of a Rethink. Perhaps something closer to the gasburners' "MPG" figure, with adjustments depending how far above|below cruise on is?
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Don't think the actual rules went too in depth . I haven't the AeroDuel book with me , but off top of my head , most Electric PP Planes have a 'Cruising Range' of 400 Miles & a range at Max Speed of about 200 Miles .
Perhaps halve the power consumption for fixed wing Aircraft & Autogyros as motor's Fly Wheels constantly adjusting/cutting out when aircraft has adequate economical lift ?

Unfortunately the main writer seems to have multiple problems with maths & contradicts himself in the same product ... It's been mentioned before ( on here ? ) , that he apparently handwrote his '1s' and '2s' almost identically ! Guy who knew of him personally stated that was probably main reason why he'd been audited by the IRS .
Twice !

Both AreoDuel & CarWars: Tanks need massive overhauls & expansion with all the new tech , information & flying vehicles now available being reflected .

Good luck wishing for that ! ;-)
__________________
Five Gauss Guns on a Camper !!!
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Re: Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Unfortunately the main writer seems to have multiple problems with maths & contradicts himself in the same product ... It's been mentioned before ( on here ? ) , that he apparently handwrote his '1s' and '2s' almost identically ! Guy who knew of him personally stated that was probably main reason why he'd been audited by the IRS .
Twice !
Of course if you ask him, it may only be once.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Of course if you ask him, it may only be once.
Laughing myself silly at that one ! And probably very true to !! :-D
__________________
Five Gauss Guns on a Camper !!!
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Acft. Range Calculations Wonky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Don't think the actual rules went too in depth . I haven't the AeroDuel book with me , but off top of my head , most Electric PP Planes have a 'Cruising Range' of 400 Miles & a range at Max Speed of about 200 Miles .
I do have mine at-hand -- besides the formulae, nothing is said about ranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Perhaps halve the power consumption for fixed wing Aircraft & Autogyros as motor's Fly Wheels constantly adjusting/cutting out when aircraft has adequate economical lift ?
I was considering something a bit simpler -- in essence: Each power plant gives a certain range at Cruise Speed, with bonuses|penalties depending on how far above|below CS one is. For ex.: The Super Airplane plant might provide 800 mi. range at whatever the plane's Cruise Speed is; down to 1/2 that for traveling at Maximum Speed; and 150% range if it's kept at half of Cruise. The Small Airplane plant, being smaller might only provide a Cruise range of 500 mi. In PU terms, that would be "1 PU/mile at Cruise; 2 PU/mi. at Max.; 2/3 PU/mi. at half-Cruise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Unfortunately the main writer seems to have multiple problems with maths & contradicts himself in the same product ... It's been mentioned before ( on here ? ) , that he apparently handwrote his '1s' and '2s' almost identically ! Guy who knew of him personally stated that was probably main reason why he'd been audited by the IRS .
Twice !
I also have experience of dealing with that writer -- and that's all I have to say about *that*....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Both AreoDuel & CarWars: Tanks need massive overhauls & expansion with all the new tech , information & flying vehicles now available being reflected .
Indeed -- heck, even *cars* in _CW_ are appallingly short-legged considering what "actual" 2018 EVs are doing these days (ranges of 300 mi. at cruise, and that's electrical-only).
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.